Mad Dog Saloon

cheynewalk

Is it not fairly clear from this thread that some people go into Mad Dog as a 'restaurant' on the basis of recommendations of the food and are in some cases disapointed with the service.

Others go in there and treat it as a 'Bar' looking for ...., and seem in general very happy with the service.

Clearly it is not possible, or very difficult to cater for being both a 'Bar and Restaurant'.

Iain

Others go in there and treat it as a 'Bar' looking for ...., and seem in general very happy with the service.
A beer

or other drink as required.

Clearly it is not possible, or very difficult to cater for being both a 'Bar and Restaurant'.
Why not? It serves both food and drinks.

Are you suggesting some other establishments should advertise themselves as Bar and Whorehouse?

Not at all. The staff should just be told to be as happy with a tip for good service as a bar fine share.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, a whole lot of personal information about people who may or may not want every detail of their lives splashed across a very public forum has now been deleted

While I am sure we all enjoying our reminiscing I don't think this kind of personal detail is appropriate. Try to have some thought for those who may not enjoy such public scrutiny.

Well that sure isn't your smartest post to date ...

This from someone who starts his posts loooouuudddeeeeee or uuuuuugggggggeeeee!

Irony isn't something you use to flatten creases from shirts bbllliinnnnkkkyyy biiillllkkkkyyyy

:)

Oh, I forgot to ask you CW.

Are you the tall, tanned guy with a muscular build and extremely handsome facial features with the perfectly in place styled hair and pearly white teeth that are not a micron out of alignment, wearing the designer jeans and Armani shirts with a gold chain around your neck and a diamond ring on your pinky who likes to sit at the bar and make intelligent conversation with all and sundry?

You mentioned ... all and sundry, does it include the "kitchen sink" ?

I go to Mad Dog 2 or 3 times a month, especially when the F1 is on and generally find it ok. Yes, you have the 'locals' and it is a true ex-pat pub, but when I go there, I know that's what I am going to get.

I am there for a bite to eat (my western food fix!) and a bit of F1....nothing more, nothing less.

Prices are ok for western food and the service I have always found ok.

This from someone who starts his posts loooouuudddeeeeee or uuuuuugggggggeeeee!

Irony isn't something you use to flatten creases from shirts bbllliinnnnkkkyyy biiillllkkkkyyyy

:D

Lowey, Lowey, Lowey, we Australians being the friendly natured people that we are, often take our friends names and shorten them then add an "ee" or "wey" sound to the end as a way of showing our affection and friendship. After all, Loaded sounds rather like Low Dead, not very nice really. Is it? :)

Other simple examples are Richy, Johnny, Herby, etc.

Edited by Blinky Bill

Just about every Thai aimed watering hole also serves food. It'd be very uncommon to find any kind of pub or karaoke or brothel even that doesn't serve food.

If you want to talk 'difficult' then it'd be a decent bar that also serves good espresso.

I do my best to avoid giving business to these already well set farang. Frequent Thai places and help support the people of the country you're staying in.

Well that sure isn't your smartest post to date damian5000. I was just looking at some of your previous posts here. You really tend to a bit silly at times. And a self confessed convicted felon as well.

How is it not smart to want to support the local Thai instead of already set up old farang.

A self confessed convicted felon... 10 years back. And I still wouldn't give you already set farang a cent of my business. Yea, go support the rich white man.

I do my best to avoid giving business to these already well set farang. Frequent Thai places and help support the people of the country you're staying in.

We all frequent Thai businesses, but when you get the munchies for some good foreign food there are not too many Thai places that can make the real thing.

Also, not all farangs were born with a silver spoon spoon in our mouths. Many of us have to work for a living and many of us have less money than rich Thai businessmen. Choose places that have what you want and do a good job, not by the owners nationality.

No thanks...I'll continue to spend my money at small Thai shops and restaurants.

I agree whole-heartedly. If I'm in England I would never ever go to a Thai restaurant run by Thais or a Chinese restaurant run by Chinese. I espescially avoid the chinese Chippies (Fish n Chip shop) in Liverpool. Okay, I know that means I have to go to Chester to find an English owned chippie, but it is well worth the 100 mile round trip to be true to my principles. :) Right on, brother.

the one opposite the countess off chester, is run by italians i think , and is bloomin' good ! :D

We all frequent Thai businesses, but when you get the munchies for some good foreign food there are not too many Thai places that can make the real thing.

Also, not all farangs were born with a silver spoon spoon in our mouths. Many of us have to work for a living and many of us have less money than rich Thai businessmen. Choose places that have what you want and do a good job, not by the owners nationality.

No thanks...I'll continue to spend my money at small Thai shops and restaurants.

Significantly limiting your choices of what's available - but then again - it's your choice.

Just about every Thai aimed watering hole also serves food. It'd be very uncommon to find any kind of pub or karaoke or brothel even that doesn't serve food.

If you want to talk 'difficult' then it'd be a decent bar that also serves good espresso.

I believe the Riva serves espresso.

I went this morning for my brekkie and as usual it was great, usual case as I said earlier in a post, 1 friendly girl and 1 miserable one called Gai (I think it said on her badge) that just sat behind the bar not doing her make up this time, but picking her nose. I think I upset her a little today as I asked for a water and there was only her available to serve. Great breakfast though.

Edited by thaimiller

I call in once every couple of months or so, usually during the afternoon or early evening. Doesn't particularly bother me, but yes - the staff who have served me haven't exactly gone out of their way to make me feel welcome - rarely a smile. The owner has occasionally been propping up a corner of the bar - barely looks at you, let alone smiles or says hello.

I don't eat there any more, since ordering a fish fillet around Christmas last year. I should have realised from the colour that there was something amiss - the fish was a kind of grey/brown colour, once the sauce had been scraped off. Remaining positive, I assumed it was of some as yet untasted (by me) Mekong/Ping/whatever species. Hey, I've eaten worm, maggot and who knows what in LOS, so what harm can a piece of grey fish possibly do, I thought. I stuck my fork in, and sawed away with the knife - it had the consistency of rubber. Ever the optimist, I took a bite.

To say it had gone off would be an understatement. It was putrid. I had assumed the strange, strong smell emanated from some exotic Thai flavourings in the sauce - I couldn't have been more wrong.

I'm not one to complain vociferously - I discretely called the girl who had served me over, and quietly explained the problem. She removed the plate without a word. It was taken behind the bar, where a heated discussion took place for several minutes, during which time I was subjected to glares from a couple of the older ladies who had joined in the debate, I assumed having come from the kitchen. They sniffed and prodded (but, I noticed, no one ventured to take a bite).

So far the owner hadn't been consulted - he was sitting at the street end of the bar. The dish was eventually taken over to him for a second (or more accurately, fifth) opinion. He prodded in a desultory manner a couple of times, shrugged, said something, and turned his back. The girl eventually reappeared with the menu, and unsmilingly (zero apology) asked if I would like to reorder. I was sorely tempted to walk out but I was hungry, and so risked another dish. I reckoned they couldn't do much wrong to a burger.

Just before finishing, to give the boss his due, he wandered up and gave a semblance of an apology, somewhat undermined by the follow-up "these things happen". My burger was on the house, he said.

Still, for a piece of fish that rank to be taken out of the fridge or freezer, and for the staff not to realise that it was in the latter stages of decomposition, made me wonder just how often 'these things happen', there. Sure I may just have been unlucky the one and only time I've eaten there... but I'm not about to risk a second try. No matter how good the breakfasts reputedly are.

Edited by wedders

Weird, maybe I am. Been here since March 2003. Never set foot inside The Pub, Mad Dog, Red Lion, Old Bell, or a chip shop. In the restaurant at Heathrow, I had nachos. Nothing wrong with English food; Aer Lingus treated me to a 1-kg Brit breccie once. Never been inside Spiceys, either.

Weird, maybe I am. Been here since March 2003. Never set foot inside The Pub, Mad Dog, Red Lion, Old Bell, or a chip shop. In the restaurant at Heathrow, I had nachos. Nothing wrong with English food; Aer Lingus treated me to a 1-kg Brit breccie once. Never been inside Spiceys, either.

So just where exactly, PeeBee have you been since March, 2003?

a good few years back I entered said establishment. i ordered the beers for three large men. i was presented with a chang which i patently hadnt asked for. I mentioned this and it was promptly poured down the sink and replaced with a heineken. Ok i thought until the bill came with the chang still on it.

Thinking this a bit strange i mentioned it to the charming young lady who screamed at me; said something to a recalcitrant english gent and suggested i never came back into their wonderful hostelry again.

im only too willing to comply.

now i hear about slightly burned mushrooms and that seals it.

I think that we run in different ciircles.

Peace Blondie seemed quite familiar with the famous Coffee Boy. That might give you a clue. :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

I call in once every couple of months or so, usually during the afternoon or early evening. Doesn't particularly bother me, but yes - the staff who have served me haven't exactly gone out of their way to make me feel welcome - rarely a smile. The owner has occasionally been propping up a corner of the bar - barely looks at you, let alone smiles or says hello.

That pretty much describes my experiences the few times I have dropped in over the years.

Peace Blondie seemed quite familiar with the famous Coffee Boy. That might give you a clue. :D

Coffee Boy served coffee and boysyoung men. :)

I've been to Burger King, every Mikes, McDonald's, one Miguels, Art Cafe, Tuskers, both Salsa Cafes and Bake'n'Bites, Texas BBQ, Hels Kitchen, JJ's, the Lone Star saloon on Loi Kroh, S&P, Madame Lee's, TangK, Mao-x-Mao-Kao-Fang, Pasta Cafe , lots of pizza joints, Swensons, Papparazzi, Lemon Tree, Amazing Sandwich, UN Irish Pub, Sizzler, Soho, Sojo.........

Peace Blondie seemed quite familiar with the famous Coffee Boy. That might give you a clue. :D

Coffee Boy served coffee and boysyoung men. :)

I've been to Burger King, every Mikes, McDonald's, one Miguels, Art Cafe, Tuskers, both Salsa Cafes and Bake'n'Bites, Texas BBQ, Hels Kitchen, JJ's, the Lone Star saloon on Loi Kroh, S&P, Madame Lee's, TangK, Mao-x-Mao-Kao-Fang, Pasta Cafe , lots of pizza joints, Swensons, Papparazzi, Lemon Tree, Amazing Sandwich, UN Irish Pub, Sizzler, Soho, Sojo.........

crickey! sounds like a fast food mash-up, speaking of McDs.... :D

david-fast-food.jpg

I've been here longer than you PB and I haven't visited the Pub, Red Lion, Tuskers or the Olde Bell as well and I enjoy a beer.

Edited by Loaded

I've been here longer than you PB and I haven't visited the Pub, Red Lion, Tuskers or the Olde Bell as well and I enjoy a beer.

You should really try Tuskers. Can't really call Chiang Mai home until experiencing Tuskers at least one time.

The Red Lion is on my agenda.

No free water, but, I am told, a charming host who was quite handsome at one time and good fish and chips.

( However, I have not figured out how to get past the 'No Riff Raff" sign yet).

Edited by Ulysses G.