Mad Dog Saloon

cheynewalk

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weird, maybe I am. Been here since March 2003. Never set foot inside The Pub, Mad Dog, Red Lion, Old Bell, or a chip shop. In the restaurant at Heathrow, I had nachos. Nothing wrong with English food; Aer Lingus treated me to a 1-kg Brit breccie once. Never been inside Spiceys, either.

So just where exactly, PeeBee have you been since March, 2003?

I think that we run in different ciircles.

Peace Blondie seemed quite familiar with the famous Coffee Boy. That might give you a clue. :D

Coffee Boy served coffee and boysyoung men. :)

I've been to Burger King, every Mikes, McDonald's, one Miguels, Art Cafe, Tuskers, both Salsa Cafes and Bake'n'Bites, Texas BBQ, Hels Kitchen, JJ's, the Lone Star saloon on Loi Kroh, S&P, Madame Lee's, TangK, Mao-x-Mao-Kao-Fang, Pasta Cafe , lots of pizza joints, Swensons, Papparazzi, Lemon Tree, Amazing Sandwich, UN Irish Pub, Sizzler, Soho, Sojo.........

.... musically ..... but have you been to Oklahoma , or Arizona....???????

The Red Lion is on my agenda.

No free water, but, I am told, a charming host who was quite handsome at one time and good fish and chips.

( However, I have not figured out how to get past the 'No Riff Raff" sign yet).

just wait till they start wearin the new tee shirts! :)

I've been to Oklahoma; they tell me two of my boys were born there, but they really don't remember. Oklahoma is okay. OK City is kind of pretty. As for Arizona, the Wichita lineman's been there; yet he's still on the line. Do you suppose he dried out yet? I think Noel Coward wrote a Joe Cocker song about mad dogs and English pubs.

No free water, but, I am told, a charming host who was quite handsome at one time and good fish and chips.

just wait till they start wearin the new tee shirts! :D

:D:D:D:D:P:P:):D:D

post-15912-1251700926_thumb.jpg

post-15912-1251700942_thumb.jpg

never had any such experience at the Mad Dogs. Staff are pleasant enough. Food is good. owner is a nice person to talk to.

don't know what some of the residents here expect from a restaurant or bar when they go there for beer or some food. I've dined in some countries in the western world and they don't give a shit about greeting or making sure they put up a smile unless you have the big $$$$ while dining in the big $$$$ sort of joint and they get paid $$$$ to kiss your ass.

<deleted>!

never had any such experience at the Mad Dogs. Staff are pleasant enough. Food is good. owner is a nice person to talk to.

don't know what some of the residents here expect from a restaurant or bar when they go there for beer or some food. I've dined in some countries in the western world and they don't give a shit about greeting or making sure they put up a smile unless you have the big $$ while dining in the big $$ sort of joint and they get paid $$ to kiss your ass.

<deleted>!

You miss the point. I don't expect anything - that way I'm not disappointed. Entirely up to the owner whether he wants more local expats to drop by on a regular basis, and he'll never know what he's missing until/unless he tries a different approach and gets his staff to show more of an interest (food issues aside). Makes no difference to me, plenty of other establishments that are more welcoming. Tuskers, the Olde Bell, you name it.

I just happen to walk past the Mad Dog most days, but choose to go elsewhere in that neck of the woods, for example the Half Moon, instead. No skin off my nose whatever they do, there's hardly a shortage of watering holes in town.

Edited by wedders

just wait till they start wearin the new tee shirts! :D

:D:D:D:D:P:P:):D:D

The first one is great but the second is not quite right. There is free water .... for your horse (it's the law, apparently). There is a tap outside so I suppose if the customers wanted to help themselves and they have their own glass, there's nothing stopping them. 

As regards to UG, I haven't had the pleasure of meeting him yet but he doesn't come across as riff raff. I can't imagine him having tatoos and body-piercings or flip-flops and vest . If that's the case, and he doesn't blaspheme, he should be okay.

The first one is great but the second is not quite right. There is free water .... for your horse (it's the law, apparently). There is a tap outside so I suppose if the customers wanted to help themselves and they have their own glass, there's nothing stopping them.

I honestly think that he second one is perfect the way it is - no need to get too specific. Those T shirts would make GREAT advertising! :)

Not sure if a comparison to places like Half Moon is fair; the business model there centers more around showing an interest in male customers....

Hmm well maybe, point taken, but it's not exactly their raison d'etre! It's the kind of establishment where you are only 'of interest' if you show an interest yourself... personally I like a game of darts on their well battered, but genuine article, dartboard.

Edited by wedders

Had the steak kabob at Mad dog today and as usual it was to cry for. Staff seemed busy and smiling and the owner even sat down for a chat. Seemed to be busy (14 customers) for the heat of the day.

Perhaps he reads TV :) A brief look back through this thread, and on service quality it divides up into 10 negative posts, 7 or 8 positives (lost count), and 8 neutrals. Could be a lot better. If I were running a bar these quiet times, making the punters feel welcome would be a priority... but then again maybe he doesn't give a monkey's :D

I've been an occasional customer (pizza) for some three years.

Mostly take-away and sometimes eat there. Seen quite a bunch of

customers - from odd backpacker to cryptic old-timer. Never

troubles, always prompt service. Even smiling waiters.

Once, before meals-on-wheels-4you; actually managed to make

a deal - deposited some money for future deliveries... by

tuktuk. No guaranties they'll have time find one but I took

the risk and all worked great a couple of times,

after which I forgot my "account".

Later, months, the girl asked "how long you want to keep

this money waiting here" i.e. forgotten only by myself.

Now, while making my own pizzas (not commercially) - still

unable to resist MadDog every now and then for the

unique taste + style. Tried to copy - no success :-)

My recommendations, fully.

Hmm... hungry again...

I went this morning for my brekkie and as usual it was great, usual case as I said earlier in a post, 1 friendly girl and 1 miserable one called Gai (I think it said on her badge) that just sat behind the bar not doing her make up this time, but picking her nose. I think I upset her a little today as I asked for a water and there was only her available to serve. Great breakfast though.

I have known Gai for ten years since she worked in the Escape.

If you thought she was being lazy you were most likely mistaken as i have never seen this once in all the time I've known her. She's the manageress. If you expect her to be all smiles every day well she's just a very genuine person and if she's happy you'll get a smile and if not she'll get on with her job.

In any case she's a model of efficiency. You'll have noticed that unlike many places everything necessary was on the table before your meal came. I'll bet you were served as promptly as was reasonable. Your bill didn't take hours to obtain, it was there waiting for you. You may have noticed the lavatories were spotless.

sleepyjohn makes all good points. I've always been waited on promptly at Mad Dog and if Gai feels like I deserve a smile, that is just a bonus. As to Nick, he always goes out of his way to say hello and I appreciate it as I don't visit as frequently as I used to.

I still don't see how anyone can complain about the place once they are served one of those HUGE 100 baht breakfasts! :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

I went this morning for my brekkie and as usual it was great, usual case as I said earlier in a post, 1 friendly girl and 1 miserable one called Gai (I think it said on her badge) that just sat behind the bar not doing her make up this time, but picking her nose. I think I upset her a little today as I asked for a water and there was only her available to serve. Great breakfast though.

If you thought she was being lazy you were most likely mistaken as i have never seen this once in all the time I've known her. She's the manageress. If you expect her to be all smiles every day well she's just a very genuine person and if she's happy you'll get a smile and if not she'll get on with her job.

In any case she's a model of efficiency. You'll have noticed that unlike many places everything necessary was on the table before your meal came. I'll bet you were served as promptly as was reasonable. Your bill didn't take hours to obtain, it was there waiting for you. You may have noticed the lavatories were spotless.

Concur 100%

Have known said young lady from same period of time.

Now whatever happened to Loy (or Loi) first me her at the New Hare and Hound, then the Escape, then White Lotus and now ???

She had perhaps the longest hair in town 'or close to it'

Edited by john b good

Thanks for your view on things but I wasn't mistaken and I know what I saw, yes your right about all the other things (but ive never used the lavatories, but i'll take your word on it) but they all seem to happen by the hand of the other Girl, and the only time I asked for anything else off Gai it seem to be an interuption to her nose picking. Saying that if she is the manager then she is doing a good job making sure the other girl is working as she should be.

sleepyjohn makes all good points. I've always been waited on promptly at Mad Dog and if Gai feels like I deserve a smile, that is just a bonus. As to Nick, he always goes out of his way to say hello and I appreciate it as I don't visit as frequently as I used to.

I still don't see how anyone can complain about the place once they are served one of those HUGE 100 baht breakfasts! :D

Some, possibly most of the positive comments will be from regulars, or those that are at least known to the staff. I'm one of those quiet, nondescript farangs that doesn't look like a fair number of the expats seen around CM (ie a bit ragged, hair a touch unkempt, battered flipflops, clothes that have seen better days, that 'I've-seen-it-all-in-Thailand' look in their eyes). When I walk into a bar I usually get pigeon-holed as a tourist. The 'here today gone tomorrow' customers get a different kind of attention in a different kind of establishment, sure, but this sometimes gets me the sort of less-than-perfect service a few have been describing at the Mad Dog. (Isn't there a t-shirt thread somewhere? I want one that says, in Thai, "I'm not a <deleted> tourist, I live here" :))

Edited by wedders

My experience in Thailand is that if you are polite and not demanding when you visit a new place, it only takes a few days before they start to treat you like they know you and are more friendly.

I really don't expect people who have never seen me before to be overly attentive, but, of course, it is nice when they are. :)

Mine varies UG. In some places they'll go out of their way to be friendly - drop by a month later and they'll remember stuff about you that even you've forgotten since. At the MD I had a drink there several times over six weeks or so and the same staff, owner included, didn't so much as recognise me on return visits.

Can I get a t-shirt made in Chiang Mai that says in Thai script "I'm older than I look, my income exceeds 99.9% of all Thais, I can still get it up, all this hair is mine, and I don't need a work permit but I was a tax officer before I was an English teacher"?

The tax officer bit should ensure that everyone avoids you like the plague :)