Mad Dog Saloon

cheynewalk

Has anybody been there recently for the breakfast??? I went there on the recommendation of a friend and though the place is a bit of a dingy dive inhabited by derro expats and surly barstaff, the full english breakfast is without doubt the best value for money one I have ever had in Chiang Mai.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For your information, assuming you are referring to the place on Moonmuang Road, the name of the establishment is Mad Dog Pizza, Bar and Restaurant. It has never been known as Mad Dog Saloon.

I think if you had the balls and went up of these "derro expats" and told them your opinion, you might just get a smack in the chops.

Quite a number of the morning patrons are retired and have set themselves up very well financially and have families in Chiang Mai, they are far from "derro's". The only "derro's" I see in Maddog are the occasional backpacker.

With regards to the staff, in my opinion, they are generally overly friendly and always ready for a giggle. It's a bit hard to quieten them down at times as they like to chirp away like little birds.

Edit: And the breakfast is good there as you say. :)

Edited by Blinky Bill

Yes it's the Mad Dog Pizza Bar and Restaurant.

Perhaps I struck the place on an off day, however I was unimpressed with the unsmiling lady behind the bar who took my order without so much as a please or thank you. I later tried vainly to get her attention for another cup of tea and was studiously ignored while she combed her hair and checked her face in a mirror. She did come to life when some shifty thin fellow covered in tattoos looking like a persian rug entered. He found a quiet cornner away from the bar. After some banter with him about why he wasn't sitting at the bar, did he think she smelled too much, she resumed her slouch back in the chair. Obviously this lady reserves her smiling face for regular customers. A few minutes later another expat arrived or should I say hobbled to the bar looking like a train wreck and ordered a chang which he nursed whilst staring forlornly at a tennis match on the tv. Not to be outdone, an old fellow with a shocking complexion, his face and head covered in hideous sores managed a seat at the bar whilst I tried to shift further away from him. The barmaid brightened up at the sight of him too (perhaps she may be a beneficiary in his will, she'll soon collect I think) and provided some comforting words.

Yes a great meal, what a pity it can't be served in more convivial surroundings.

Edited by cheynewalk

Yes it's the Mad Dog Pizza Bar and Restaurant.

Perhaps I struck the place on an off day, however I was unimpressed with the unsmiling lady behind the bar who took my order without so much as a please or thank you. I later tried vainly to get her attention for another cup of tea and was studiously ignored while she combed her hair and checked her face in a mirror. She did come to life when some shifty thin fellow covered in tattoos looking like a persian rug entered. He found a quiet cornner away from the bar. After some banter with him about why he wasn't sitting at the bar, did he think she smelled too much, she resumed her slouch back in the chair. Obviously this lady reserves her smiling face for regular customers. A few minutes later another expat arrived or should I say hobbled to the bar looking like a train wreck and ordered a chang which he nursed whilst staring forlornly at a tennis match on the tv. Not to be outdone, an old fellow with a shocking complexion, his face and head covered in hideous sores managed a seat at the bar whilst I tried to shift further away from him. The barmaid brightened up at the sight of him too (perhaps she may be a beneficiary in his will, she'll soon collect I think) and provided some comforting words.

Yes a great meal, what a pity it can't be served in more convivial surroundings.

i can't for a moment imagine why you received such formal and detached service when you're clearly a laugh a minute.

Not to be outdone, an old fellow with a shocking complexion, his face and head covered in hideous sores managed a seat at the bar whilst I tried to shift further away from him. The barmaid brightened up at the sight of him too (perhaps she may be a beneficiary in his will, she'll soon collect I think) and provided some comforting words.

I know exactly who you are referring to here but I will not mention names. He is a very good friend and has been ever since he moved to Chiang Mai 25 years ago to work in the International Tobacco Exporting business which thrived in Chiang Mai for many years. He has always been a popular figure amongst the original expatriot community and is now retired and has a family including a teenage daughter here.

He has most unfortunately, suffered severely with skin cancer and has to have surgery and various other treatments on a regular basis to help his condition. He is very popular with the staff at Mad Dog because he has a great sense of humour and knows how to get on with the girls. They are not mentioned in his will.

You are really showing your ignorance here, cw. Next time you see this man in the Mad Dog, if you can overcome your revulsion, make an effort to talk to him, you might learn something.

Oh, I forgot to ask you CW.

Are you the tall, tanned guy with a muscular build and extremely handsome facial features with the perfectly in place styled hair and pearly white teeth that are not a micron out of alignment, wearing the designer jeans and Armani shirts with a gold chain around your neck and a diamond ring on your pinky who likes to sit at the bar and make intelligent conversation with all and sundry?

Once again had to look up on google to find the meaining of a word on here!

'The derro are a fictional species of monstrous humanoids in the Dungeons & Dragons fantasy role-playing game.'

A little bit harsh one feels!

In defense of the OP I have eaten in Mad Dogs on only a few occasions, and whilst the food is very good and good value, I have to agree that the staff are really only interested in serving their 'regulars' and it is difficult to get served if you are not one. Last year I waited over 5 minutes at the bar for service, but they were more interested in chatting. I did not want to make a spectacle by calling out for service, so I just left and went else where.

Iain

One reason that I fell very comfortable here is that I've got a lot of competion in the homely department. Blinky Bill is about the only handsome (farang) guy I can remember (besides "Handsome Paul" the Kiwi) who stayed around more than a few months. :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

Once again had to look up on google to find the meaining of a word on here! 'The derro are a fictional species of monstrous humanoids in the Dungeons & Dragons fantasy role-playing game.' ... snip ...

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Iainiain,

Fascinating : I assumed "derro" was a British or Australian slang contraction for "derelict," with an (improbable) second guess it was some form of pejorative punning on "derriere."

best, ~o:37;

I stopped drinking there because one of the staff took my beer from me and poured it down the sink in front of a large crowd of onlookers when I explained the number of bills in the bin didn't match the number of beers I had drunk. She was pissed out of her head at the time. On inspection one of the bills had been written by a hand different from the others. I used to drink in there regularly until then. Sure I could have gone to Nick (he wasn't in the bar at the time) and complained and I'm sure he would have apolgised and replaced the beer but after that incident I wasn't interested in returning anyway.

I always found the place pleasant enough before that incident but I agree the bar stuff have favourites.

Edited by Loaded

Are you the tall, tanned guy with a muscular build and extremely handsome facial features with the perfectly in place styled hair and pearly white teeth that are not a micron out of alignment, wearing the designer jeans and Armani shirts with a gold chain around your neck and a diamond ring on your pinky who likes to sit at the bar and make intelligent conversation with all and sundry?

No, that's me.

No, that's me.

glad you owned up as i was close to having to make it clear it was not me in case of any confusion :)

One reason that I fell very comfortable here is that I've got a lot of competion in the homely department. Blinky Bill is about the only handsome (farang) guy I can remember (besides "Handsome Paul" the Kiwi) who stayed around more than a few months. :)

You obviously haven't met me.

'Kevin' means 'Beautiful at birth' . And bearing in  mind that my mother had already had 6 babies* by then, you can only assume that she knew a looker when she saw one.

All together now ...

'Oh, you must have been a beautiful baby.....'

The great Deano!!

(Out of curiosity how do you insert the video, as opposed to the link?)

Back on topic - Interesting (implied) suggestion that ugly, fat, old people or people with skin disorders shouldn't be served!! Certainly, there should be some screening of customers (a 'No riff raff' sign covers that) , but if you were to exclude customers based on physical beauty. who would be left, (besides me and BB, of course)?

*my twin-sister went to check it out first. I said if your not back in twenty minutes , I'll be right behind you, so she was in  sixth place.

I wasn't even the 'back marker' as a younger sister came along 18 months later!!!

Edited by KevinHunt

I eat and drink there frequently when I'm in Chiang Mai. It's sort of a meeting place for a friend of mine. Maybe because I've been introduced to the owner I've never once had a problem or overheard a problem occuring. Maybe the bar stools are a bit uncomfortable, but what bar stools aren't. I don't flirt with the staff, other than superficially, so I can't comment on whether they are friendly or not. At least I've always been treated well.

I suppose it all depends on what you want.

Ever since Nick first started serving food, I sometimes go there for a good breakfast and that's usually what I get. I've known Gai since pre Mad Dog days - sometimes she talks and sometimes she doesn't, the same applies for the others......no big deal.

I usually come away feeling 'mission accomplished'.

Been going to the Mad Dog for a long time, and in its previous guise as the Overlander.

Known Gai and Cookie from the Escape and always found them and the

other staff friendly.

Service is prompt and polite.

Never had any problems.

g

After reading and rereading the op's tirade, I just want to inform him that he was seated in my chair. As I have been told I am a good looking SOB, the staff may have confused you with me. The tea should have been a give away for them but the glare from parked vehicles may have affected their eyesight. Food, service, and conversation with staff and other regulars are good in my experience, and the only time I have seen a surly look toward customers, they deserved it.

ahh pizza, the holy grail of CM.... I once and only once had pizza there, ordered the vegetarian, envisioning the usual tomatoes, onion etc. they actually topped it with what we used to call succotash, a mixture of corn, diced carrots and peas. The whole thing was a soggy mess. I did see other folks pizzas looked pretty good though.

Nothing new to add, Mad Dog do one of the better breakfasts in Chiang Mai, I like there Pizza's and they've improved over the years.

I agree the staff aren't the most friendly, I prefer other bars if I'm out for a session, but for a quick pizza and a pint it does the job.

After reading and rereading the op's tirade, I just want to inform him that he was seated in my chair. As I have been told I am a good looking SOB, the staff may have confused you with me. The tea should have been a give away for them but the glare from parked vehicles may have affected their eyesight. Food, service, and conversation with staff and other regulars are good in my experience, and the only time I have seen a surly look toward customers, they deserved it.

My first year in CM I had brekky there 3 or 4 times a week, staff marginal in friendliness depending on how they felt. Also had pizza some nites, not bad.

One lunchtime I brought 3 Thai friends ( 2 women 1 man) as they wanted a steak and pizza. After they left one of the regulars came to my table and said

" why do you bring Thais here". Never went back! Art Cafe now gets my $

My first year in CM I had brekky there 3 or 4 times a week, staff marginal in friendliness depending on how they felt. Also had pizza some nites, not bad.

One lunchtime I brought 3 Thai friends ( 2 women 1 man) as they wanted a steak and pizza. After they left one of the regulars came to my table and said

" why do you bring Thais here". Never went back! Art Cafe now gets my $

Was he drunk?

I have been in there with Thai friends both male and female and certainly never had that experience. It wouldn't bother me anyway if a customer said that and I see no reason to boycott an establishment because it has an idiot in it - most do. Don't you think it might have been better to have a quiet word with Nick the owner and get his views on Thai's using his restaurant? I for one would boycott a place if I knew the owner practiced discrimination, but not because a 'regular' said something.