Want To Buy An Suv

triffid

I want to buy an SUV that

- has manual transmission

- runs on diesel

- will give me option to fit leather seats

- is sturdy enough for a long term purchaser (some 7 years or more)

- can be locally made or imported (eg Hyundai?)

- must cost as much under 2 million as possible

Was wondering what my choices are?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- runs on diesel

Fortuner...

Padjero...

Personally I have a Fortuner..

- runs on diesel

Toyota Fortuner

Mitsubishi Pajero Sport

Isuzu MU 7

Ford Everest

MY preference would be in that order. The first 2 ones are modern and have rear coil springs. All of them like 1 mill baht.

- runs on diesel

Mind if I ask "why manual?". I guess you won't be driving in BKK!

I've had a Fortuner (diesel/auto) for 3 years now. It's been very good, no problems at all and cheap to run. Leather seats, no signs of wear and tear and about THB1.2M (three years ago). I did ask the missus to jump in the back seat for some how's your father a few weeks ago but she wouldn't so it doesn't work for that.

New or second-hand?

If S-H, what is the cut off year?

This an interesting tangential question. I would consider a second hand buy if

- the car was not more than 2 years old

- was amenable to a thorough and reliable check by its dealers in Thailand

- if an import would have good service/spare parts availability here; & known to be ok in thai temperatures

- runs on diesel

Toyota Fortuner

Mitsubishi Pajero Sport

Isuzu MU 7

Ford Everest

MY preference would be in that order. The first 2 ones are modern and have rear coil springs. All of them like 1 mill baht.

I was aware that the Pajero Sport was introduced quite recently; but the Fortuner, new?

- runs on diesel

Mind if I ask "why manual?". I guess you won't be driving in BKK!

I've had a Fortuner (diesel/auto) for 3 years now. It's been very good, no problems at all and cheap to run. Leather seats, no signs of wear and tear and about THB1.2M (three years ago). I did ask the missus to jump in the back seat for some how's your father a few weeks ago but she wouldn't so it doesn't work for that.

I won't be using it in Bangkok. But if I were I'd probably still buy manual - a cultural, inculcated thing I suppose.

I was amused by your remark about your missus not jumping in the back even though I probably misunderstood your meaning.

He meant it complies with "new" regulations that lifted restrictions on minimal length and leaf springs. That means it has better turning radius, better 4wd capabilities, and softer ride than MU-7.

Pajero is not so new, if you consider it took Mitsu some three years to develop it from their Triton platform while Toyota introduced Fortuner only three months after Vigo.

Both platforms - Vigo and Triton, are about the same age.

Ford Everest is also based on the previous generation of Ranger truck, but, like MU7, they got new engines and other bits.

He meant it complies with "new" regulations that lifted restrictions on minimal length and leaf springs. That means it has better turning radius, better 4wd capabilities, and softer ride than MU-7.

Pajero is not so new, if you consider it took Mitsu some three years to develop it from their Triton platform while Toyota introduced Fortuner only three months after Vigo.

Both platforms - Vigo and Triton, are about the same age.

Ford Everest is also based on the previous generation of Ranger truck, but, like MU7, they got new engines and other bits.

Any chance/news of something coming soon from Nissan? I can wait a bit.

Any views on buying an expensive model (a european?) second hand meeting my criteria would also be welcome. Which? Where? Under 2 million?

Plenty of imports, but expect expensive to keep alive with difficulties finding parts and quality garages.

Almost impossible to diagnose outside BKK, no computers to read OBD. Except BMW, in Phuket, Had yai, Pattaya and Chang Mai. But even thai BMW, driving between Phuket and BKK (900km), there is not one garage capable of reading OBD. Thats why we see BMWs on flatbeds on the highway all the time.

Edited by katabeachbum

Looked at the website; it looks good to me.

How new is in design etc - I don't mean just superficial tweaks?

It's built in Thailand I presume. I'd like to read some reviews - any pointers to find some?

Anyone have first hand feedback on it?

Old platform, rather modern engine. Handbrake under the stearingwheel is like 20 years old. Rear leafspring. As I said, only Fortuner and pajero Sport are up to date and adapted to current LOS tax rules. Shorter wheelbase and rear coilsprings

Does Nissan make market its Qashqai in Asia? Anyone know of prospects for this in Thailand?

Nissan Murano is here 2.7 million for the 2.5lt 2WD and 4.4 million for the 3.5lt 4X4

Have seen a 2006 model for sale 2WD @ 1.799,000 baht

Edit: Maybe the nearest to the Qashqai is a SUZUKI GRAND VITARA ? New 1,050,000 baht, 2008 model around 875,000 baht

Edited by ignis

Looked at the website; it looks good to me.

How new is in design etc - I don't mean just superficial tweaks?

It's built in Thailand I presume. I'd like to read some reviews - any pointers to find some?

Anyone have first hand feedback on it?

Old platform, rather modern engine. Handbrake under the stearingwheel is like 20 years old. Rear leafspring. As I said, only Fortuner and pajero Sport are up to date and adapted to current LOS tax rules. Shorter wheelbase and rear coilsprings

The Ford is a really good 2nd hand buy, thai dont like the brand, the cars are good though and built in LOS (Land Of Smile), I belive its a good first buy car also if you plan to keep it for more than 3-4years.

My problem with the Everest was the size, too big, and when i saw it the folding of the 3rd seat row was very primitive, thats better now.

Rear leafsprings are not only bad news, they do fill a purpose, they dont extend up into the cargo or Passenger area and steal space there, they do however need to be long, and thats why The Ford Everest and Izu MU7 are longer than Fortuner and Pajazzo sport (I dont like the Mitsu).

BTW what is the problem with handbrake in a classic position? Some like it some dont.

Tommy

Edited by 63Tommy1

The Ford is a really good 2nd hand buy, thai dont like the brand, the cars are good though and built in LOS (Land Of Smile), I belive its a good first buy car also if you plan to keep it for more than 3-4years.

My problem with the Everest was the size, too big, and when i saw it the folding of the 3rd seat row was very primitive, thats better now.

Rear leafsprings are not only bad news, they do fill a purpose, they dont extend up into the cargo or Passenger area and steal space there, they do however need to be long, and thats why The Ford Everest and Izu MU7 are longer than Fortuner and Pajazzo sport (I dont like the Mitsu).

BTW what is the problem with handbrake in a classic position? Some like it some dont.

Tommy

You seem to be implying that depreciation is high for the first few years but after 4 years its price level is similar to other thai SUVs of the same age. So if I am sure about keeping it for more than 4 years I may as well buy new? Have I understood you correctly?

What in brief are the key differences between the Ford Everest and Escape that a buyer needs to consider? Does the Escape have a diesel option? A manual option? A leather seating option? Are they both equally dated designs? Is there a big difference in fuel economy/costs? Does the Escape also have the dangerous hand brake position?

I've ruled out the Fortuner - just too boringly ubiquitous.

What do you dislike about the Mitsubushi Pajero Sport?

For the moment the Ford looks most interesting to me

Edited by triffid

The Escape is new or face lifted this year, is petrol, auto, but have leather seats option... The Escape is imported into Thailand from the Philippines...

Chevrolet Captiva... Commonrail Turbo Diesel intercooler

5sp Tiptronic so you can drive it as a manual, Leather seats option....Built in Thailand... around the same price as the Escape

http://www.chevrolet.co.th/content_data/AP...olet/index.html

Edited by ignis

Volvo XC 90 2nd hand. Great car!

Agree a great car, but never seen a second hand Diesel or a manual XC90 in the same price range [a 2003 Petrol is around the same price] a second hand Turbo Diesel XC90 is around the same price/year as a BMW X3 Turbo Diesel

2005 Landrover Discovery Turbo Diesel is in the same price range. as is a 2007 Turbo Diesel Freelander...

To have all 2nd hand in the same sort of price range then a MERCEDES-BENZ ML-CLASS ML 270 CDI 2.7 MT 2002 ?