Pai, Where To Eat?

lukeskywalker

Hello,

I just arrived in Pai and am thinking about dinner. Where is a good place to eat (under 200-250), one person? Thai or farang food is fine. Or maybe there is something special here in Pai? I know nothing!

Will be here 2 nights.

Thanks,

Luke

Charlie and Leks past the traffic light on the way to Beebop (across from Blue Lagoon) is the best Thai food

for a great lambchop, try Amidos which is near the same traffic light, but on the way to the river..

for a great pizza or italian food keep going all the way down to the river and you will find Christinas. ..

and for breakfast (before 8am) the Jop (rice soup) stand across for Aoy bakery is the best (buy from the guy with the straw hat and the moustache)

that about does it!

Amidos pizza is one of the best in Thailand and highly recommended by Supermoderator sabaijai who has been just about everywhere including Italy.

Since you mentioned him and not your own opinion, I will say that I dont really agree with that particular persons opinions on many things regarding lodging or dining... but no need to go into that and back to the pizza..

I eat at amidos for the steak and the lamb and its as good as any fancy french restaurant. but their pizza is average. Its a little hardy with eggs and anchovies. (I guess thats a french pizza)

however the christinas pizza or even the Latina pizza (on the river road) is much more geared toward traditional Italian fare.

so I would say

Amidos for the meats

Christinas for the Pizza, Calzone or Faggotini

and Latina for the Raviolis (mmmm!)

however that is just my opinion and I am a nobody really.

Just had pizza the other night at the new Amidos and have to say it was pretty good. Almost as good as M&M in Rawai.

Great Thai at Baan Benjarong and Na's kitchen too.

The best burgers in Thailand at Burger House.

Heard that the original owner has taken back Drop In which had some interesting European fare.

Try the sabitch at TTK for a good Mideast veg dish.

Now if we just had a good Mexican place...

Luke... Good advice to you on this thread from the locals up there....

Also, if you like coffee shops, check out Coffee In Love just a wee bit out of town. The view from there is quite nice and the shop and bathrooms are unique. It's on the way back toward Chiang Mai. Quality of the drinks can be inconsistent but it still makes for a nice stop when in Pai.

Edited by T_Dog

Amidos pizza is one of the best in Thailand and highly recommended by Supermoderator sabaijai who has been just about everywhere including Italy.

Since you mentioned him and not your own opinion, I will say that I dont really agree with that particular persons opinions on many things regarding lodging or dining...

I do not always agree with him on food matters either - he has nothing good to say about the Duke's - but I ws pleasantly surprised by Amidos and there are not a lot of good pizzas around. :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

Since you mentioned him and not your own opinion, I will say that I dont really agree with that particular persons opinions on many things regarding lodging or dining...

I do not always agree with him on food matters either - he has nothing good to say about the Duke's - but I ws pleasantly surprised by Amidos and there are not a lot of good pizzas around. :)

Amidos pizza isnt bad actually. I just think Christinas is way underrated because they had a bad rap a few years ago. as of today the pizza is the best I have found in asia. (and I have been to Italy too!)

A top place for Thai food is the 'Best Restaurant' a little out of town on the Mae Hong Son road. Excellent Tom Yum plaa and the deep fried mushrooms are worth writing home about!!

Colin

I assume you are talking about the place in the big double shop-house

mmm. that place is really good, but probably too hard to find and rustic for tourists. cashew chicken is the best i have ever had and completely agree about the mushrooms

but how would anybody ever find it? in between the traffic light and the airport on the left in a big dumpy 3 story shophouse? look for the dog on the side of the dog?

btw... the owner there also has some really nice plots of land for sale at fair prices up near Huting Pai if you ask her nicely.

Amidos pizza isnt bad actually. I just think Christinas is way underrated because they had a bad rap a few years ago. as of today the pizza is the best I have found in asia. (and I have been to Italy too!)

Michael, the book guy from Pai who died recently, recommended Christinas, but every time we tried to go (in December) it was closed.

A top place for Thai food is the 'Best Restaurant' a little out of town on the Mae Hong Son road. Excellent Tom Yum plaa and the deep fried mushrooms are worth writing home about!!

Colin

I assume you are talking about the place in the big double shop-house

mmm. that place is really good, but probably too hard to find and rustic for tourists. cashew chicken is the best i have ever had and completely agree about the mushrooms

but how would anybody ever find it? in between the traffic light and the airport on the left in a big dumpy 3 story shophouse? look for the dog on the side of the dog?

btw... the owner there also has some really nice plots of land for sale at fair prices up near Huting Pai if you ask her nicely.

This place is known as "Nong Best" and is well-regarded and patronized by the locals, having been in business for 16 years now despite somewhat higher prices (among the dumpy shop house restaurant genre).