Thai Top Universities Hit Jackpot

george

Top universities hit jackpot

Nine universities will be granted up to Bt9 billion in research funds between 2010 and 2012.

King Mongkut's University of Technology Thonburi, Suranaree University of Technology, as well as Chulalongkorn, Mahidol, Kasetsart, Thammasat, Chiang Mai, Khon Kaen, and Prince of Songkla universities were selected from among 15 applicants, said Education Minister Jurin Laksanawisit, who heads the National Research University Project.

"We expect the chosen universities to conduct research that will improve people's quality of life. We want to see practical applications," Jurin said.

Each participating university must produce at least 100 research studies per year.

Jurin said his ministry |had also earmarked Bt3billion for research at 69 other universities.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-08-25

A good idea. Let's hope it's money wisely spent.

Good news. Our research facility at CMU has several significant research projects going and a boost in funding would be great. BTW, for those who may not be aware, but universities in Thailand can not do research just for research sake but must have a practical purpose that is beneficial to Thailand in commercial and industrial areas. One of these reasons is to be less dependent on outside resources and more competitive in the world market. In other words, doing research to get that extra significant digit in a theory is frowned upon. :)

As for the comment about being "a little bit backward" note this part > "were selected from among 15 applicants" I know at CMU we've been working on a proposal for a while now.

Top universities hit jackpot

Nine universities will be granted up to Bt9 billion in research funds between 2010 and 2012.

King Mongkut's University of Technology Thonburi, Suranaree University of Technology, as well as Chulalongkorn, Mahidol, Kasetsart, Thammasat, Chiang Mai, Khon Kaen, and Prince of Songkla universities were selected from among 15 applicants, said Education Minister Jurin Laksanawisit, who heads the National Research University Project.

"We expect the chosen universities to conduct research that will improve people's quality of life. We want to see practical applications," Jurin said.

Each participating university must produce at least 100 research studies per year.

Jurin said his ministry |had also earmarked Bt3billion for research at 69 other universities.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-08-25

What a joke... If wasn't such a shitty mood I might have laughed.

9 billion baht will go straight down the tube. Come on! They want universities to have research projects to find out what will improve quality of life in Thailand for Thai people?

Forgive me for being a tad cynical, but how about this:

-Start at primary school teaching kids to ask questions and be able to critize. No more rote learning.

-Stop all corruption, starting with politicians, the police force, businesses, customs etc. Corruption is a top->down affair.

-Stop this Nong Pee <deleted>. If no one ever tells higher people that their ideas are crap, how will one ever get anywhere.

-Lose the all encompassing face saving attitude.

Like in many other countries, the very culture of a country is the biggest impediment to serious advances. Just look at Saudi.

This is, once again, a farce.

Good luck Tywais. I hope your CMU comes up with something sensible that will be implemented.

Peanuts. Just the athletic program at my alma mater (UT) gets about 2.7-3 billion Baht, and they don't have to research anything other than how to keep 'roids and EPO's undetectable.

:)

The overwhelming share of money going to athletic departments at major US universities comes from private donations by wealthy alumi not the government.

Edited by Groongthep

-Start at primary school teaching kids to ask questions and be able to critize. No more rote learning.

Just to comment on that, at CMU there is a program in place specifically to research into and propose solutions to these weaknesses in the education system. You may be surprised how many university ajarns are aware of these problems and are taking pro-active stances to resolve them. But you probably know, it is not going to happen overnight and will take a long time before the changes start creeping in to the schools.

Peanuts. Just the athletic program at my alma mater (UT) gets about 2.7-3 billion Baht, and they don't have to research anything other than how to keep 'roids and EPO's undetectable.

:)

The overwhelming share of money going to athletic departments at major US universities comes from private donations by wealthy alumi not the government.

Not at mine, ours is state funds heavy, the most in the nation at last check, these are funds permanently allocated to the university. I'm sure local universities here would love a similar deal instead of funds periodically allocated. Might see some nice stadiums being built in addition to university regents enriching themselves.

:D

Forgive my cynicism, but I too have played the funding game, or rather been a pawn in negotiations. This is really a different approach than scientific research in the rest of the world. When a government funds, there is usually a policy statement first that identifies the subjects of importance first. i.e Priorities are set at the national level such as improved rice yields or biofuel derived from algae, and then the funds are disbursed based upon the proposals.

For example, The US National Science Foundation has been sponsoring undergrad science (US citizen/resident) students at 3 of the better facilities in Thailand; Mahidol, Chulabhorn and Chulalongkorn for a few years. The funding for the 10 week program is guaranteed at $4,000 + airfare + housing. The subject is specified as organic chemistry and proposals must be submitted first.

Governments will give grants to sustain various faculties, but this article is about pure research. I can't believe the funding format. It is a recipe for misappropriation. Someone must have mangled the story, it's just to wacky.

Edited by geriatrickid

Just to comment on that, at CMU there is a program in place specifically to research into and propose solutions to these weaknesses in the education system. You may be surprised how many university ajarns are aware of these problems and are taking pro-active stances to resolve them. But you probably know, it is not going to happen overnight and will take a long time before the changes start creeping in to the schools.

Thats rather facinating Tywais. Nice to know that some people are trying to fix the education system.

In case anyone read that thinking I'm just alking about thailand. I'm not.

School was bad enough back home, if they discover thigns beneficial to thai education I hope it helps world wide.

I like a world view as opposed to an independent view. Something to make sure globaly we get better. Not more independent.

Good news. Our research facility at CMU has several significant research projects going and a boost in funding would be great. BTW, for those who may not be aware, but universities in Thailand can not do research just for research sake but must have a practical purpose that is beneficial to Thailand in commercial and industrial areas. One of these reasons is to be less dependent on outside resources and more competitive in the world market. In other words, doing research to get that extra significant digit in a theory is frowned upon. :)

As for the comment about being "a little bit backward" note this part > "were selected from among 15 applicants" I know at CMU we've been working on a proposal for a while now.

Thanks for this informative post.

Some nice new cars in the University car parks then. :)

Totally agree with you.......seen it too many times to count.

It's sad to say, but true. However, if there's accountability and visibility (with regard to results) which I presume (naively?) there must be... then some of the money must trickle through for research.

Research is done here, some of it must be good (Thais are pretty sharp when they apply themselves), but I also agree with Geriatrickid that the format is wrong and open to abuse. No, the format is designed to be purposely and easily abused...

Not at mine, ours is state funds heavy, the most in the nation at last check, these are funds permanently allocated to the university. I'm sure local universities here would love a similar deal instead of funds periodically allocated. Might see some nice stadiums being built in addition to university regents enriching themselves.

From your former avatar I thought you were a graduate of UT Austin. According to their official site: Longhorn Foundation, The official site of the University of Texas Athletic Department their athletic department receives no state or university money whatsoever.

Hook 'Em :)

Just imagine all the rhetoric had this been bad news - whats wrong with you lot?

It IS good news - Thailand is fast becoming a HUB for starting research projects intended to receive government / taxpayer money in the form of grants, and the university car parks will indeed be improved by the display of more expensive cars, thus mitigating the effects of the economic downturn.

And even more Thai senior education officials will be able to afford to send their kids abroad for their education, thus improving the pool of qualified staff for the future. So it is a win-win situation.

Why can't you look on the bright side?

From your former avatar I thought you were a graduate of UT Austin. According to their official site: Longhorn Foundation, The official site of the University of Texas Athletic Department their athletic department receives no state or university money whatsoever.

Hook 'Em :)

UT = University of Timbuktu?

There really and actually is such an institution.

I take your points, but surely it would be better overall if individual research proposals were allowed to apply for funding rather than universities getting lump sums?