Wireless Broadband Internet In Bkk.

dudeyone

I am moving to a new apartment in BKK and they are charging crazy expensive for their in building internet at 1500 BHT. Would it be cheaper to just subscribe to my own wireless internet service around here? I saw a friend carrying around a little USB modem and he could get internet from everywhere. How much do those cost?

Hi,

I am moving to a new apartment in BKK and they are charging crazy expensive for their in building internet at 1500 BHT. Would it be cheaper to just subscribe to my own wireless internet service around here? I saw a friend carrying around a little USB modem and he could get internet from everywhere. How much do those cost?

Depends really on where in Bangkok you are going to be. I live about 25km from the city and the internet in the apartment where i live is terrible, very slow and connection can be difficult at times but I leave the wireless connection on and can pick up a good connection with True which is a lot better than what is offered and cheaper so, as I say, depends on where you are going to be located as to whether you can also pick up the True wireless or not. Costs for True (monthly) is 500 baht.

Falcon

whaaaa??? what you on about? assuming its monthly that's normal . around $40 -50 bucks and your complaining? You could try dial up if its still available :)

the modem or sky card i think you refer to is $150 plus the cost usage on your sim card. You could watch your grass grow while your favorite site downloads a naughty pic

1500 BHT is not anywhere near normal. In my current place it's free wifi throughout the building and at least a dozen other places I've checked is 500-1000 BHT max.

i think i know where you stay - soi rangnam?

don't pay the overpriced wifi, it is very crappy. most people there tether to their phones or use a edge modem. not fast, but cheaper and more reliable. use dtac.

You can get nationwide wireless internet.

However, mostly it will be GPRS/EDGE, which tops out at 220 kbps, average more like 100 kbps. Not really broadband, but at least still faster then dial-up!

Within Bangkok True Move seems to be the most aggressive expanding it's 3G coverage. Still in trial though. If you have a 3G capable USB modem (which does HSDPA on 850 Mhz, not really standard!), stick a pre-paid True simcard in, and you are within service area, you'll get 3G speeds. If not in 3G area you'll fall back to GPRS/EDGE speeds, which many report to be very slow on True...

They seem to base there coverage around the business area's, and are expanding along the sky train routes. Doubt they have 3G at the victory monument though.

Maybe send a message to member Paveet, he uses it (True 3G) and seems to be up to date on True's 3G expansion...

what kind of speed true 3g can get?

My gf's friend had it working on her phone in my condo while i was away and the webcam was smooth.. but i have no idea how it works and wont waste time trying to setup the connection if its less than 500kbps

whaaaa??? what you on about? assuming its monthly that's normal . around $40 -50 bucks and your complaining? You could try dial up if its still available :)

the modem or sky card i think you refer to is $150 plus the cost usage on your sim card. You could watch your grass grow while your favorite site downloads a naughty pic

I Pay 1100 bht with TOT and have a very reasonable speed and happy with that, must admit firefox helped a lot. so you renting and they marking it up by 400 bht a month. around 50 c a day extra, is it worth the hassle? A sky card working on edge at speeds that wont allow skype ? is that what you want?

12 months x 400bht (extra your landlord charging) is 4800 bht, around the cost of a portable modem that runs at 70% less speed than broadband. Good luck

I dont believe you can subscribe if you rent but could be wrong

Edited by zorro1

what kind of speed true 3g can get?

My gf's friend had it working on her phone in my condo while i was away and the webcam was smooth.. but i have no idea how it works and wont waste time trying to setup the connection if its less than 500kbps

Hard to answer question!

HSDPA now usually goes up to 7.2Mbps, although most modems/phones (apart from the very latest) will only do 3.6 Mbps.

Then, as with most mobile data connections, actual throughput will be much less, but with a 3.6 Mbps phone/modem, between 1 and 2 Mbps should be no problem at all if you have decent signal strength in your location.

On top of that, the most important thing (as usual), is what international bandwidth the ISP will have available. It's not unusual to get stuck with little faster then dial-up on a home ADSL package during peak hours, so you can expect pretty much the same from mobile internet connections.

In short, the technology should guarantee 1 Mbps or more with proper signal strength, the bottle neck will be the provider and the international capacity and contention (sharing) ratio on this bandwidth...