Retirement Visa Query

I've just renewed my retirement visa for the 4th time. Previously, I had the required amount in the bank. This time I used my pension, verified by a letter from the British Embassy. I was told this letter was a one off and could be used every year accompanied by a copy.

The immigration kept the original, telling me I would have to provide a new one next year.

Can anyone confirm if this is right or not.

Thanks.

Hi Simbo,Since it seems that Thai Imm, was satisfied by just your pension to approve your extension,(as I hope they will be with me),I was just wondering...Were they concerned at all as to how much you had in your Thai bank acct. also? (Im trying to get an idea as to what to expect for future reference, IF thats possible) ,because as Lop says,whatever Immigiration tells you...

I've just renewed my retirement visa for the 4th time. Previously, I had the required amount in the bank. This time I used my pension, verified by a letter from the British Embassy. I was told this letter was a one off and could be used every year accompanied by a copy.

The immigration kept the original, telling me I would have to provide a new one next year.

Thanks.

I always show the original letter but only leave two copies with immigration. However, that's at the immigration office I use in the sticks.

Thanks.

I always show the original letter but only leave two copies with immigration. However, that's at the immigration office I use in the sticks.

So what you are saying is, you retain the original, and produce copies every year?

Hi Simbo,Since it seems that Thai Imm, was satisfied by just your pension to approve your extension,(as I hope they will be with me),I was just wondering...Were they concerned at all as to how much you had in your Thai bank acct. also? (Im trying to get an idea as to what to expect for future reference, IF thats possible) ,because as Lop says,whatever Immigiration tells you...

After I had done my visa, I went to a mate of mine and compared his Embassy letter with mine, it was exactly the same. They told him to supply a copy and keep the original to use every year. It seems he is better looking than me.

I have since e/mailed the Brit Embassy, asking if retirees require a repeat letter every year. Hopefully they will put me on the right track. I don't want to be traipsing to Bangkok every year.

As for the money in the bank, you only need the difference between your pension and the 800/400,000 in the bank. He sat and worked it out on a calculater first.

There must be more of you out there, who supply an embassy letter every year?

reassure me, please.

• 3 weeks later...

After I had done my visa, I went to a mate of mine and compared his Embassy letter with mine, it was exactly the same. They told him to supply a copy and keep the original to use every year. It seems he is better looking than me.

I have since e/mailed the Brit Embassy, asking if retirees require a repeat letter every year. Hopefully they will put me on the right track. I don't want to be traipsing to Bangkok every year.

As for the money in the bank, you only need the difference between your pension and the 800/400,000 in the bank. He sat and worked it out on a calculater first.

There must be more of you out there, who supply an embassy letter every year?

reassure me, please.

Is this letter you are talking about an affidavid from your embassy stating your monthly income?If you can submit copies,does that mean that the embassy seal imprint on the original is insignificant?

Edited by BKKstan

The implementation of the rules vary from immigration office to immigration office. In Phuket, they don´t want originals. When renewing my retirement visa last year in September 2004, I used for the first time my annual pension, document of which, was duly translated and certified by my Embassy. No problems. The Immigration officer handling the visa application also asked for a copy of my bankbook, which I gave him. In reality, I don´t think this is in the rules but what the heck. The photo copying service is run by one of the spouses, so you have to support them. I was told I could use the same original letter from the Embassy when renewing my retirement visa in 2005, unless there were changes in my annual pension. Phuket is easy!

Cheers.........kandt :o

Is this letter you are talking about an affidavid from your embassy stating your monthly income?If you can submit copies,does that mean that the embassy seal imprint on the original is insignificant?

Not at all.

You are giving the official a copy, but you also show him the original so that he can

see the seal and know that it is authentic.

Just like a photocopy of a passport.