Thailand Is Deadliest Holiday Destination For Britons

george

Well this looks very encouraging for the high season this year also, what else can this government do or say to make a happy tourist influx to this country??? So far they are looking like they are totally against frangs- :)

Not at all.

Don't twist the words around buddy.

This is a slap in the face of British behaviour when they are overseas.

It doesn't reflect badly on Thailand at all.

It just states a few home truths.

The majority of travelling poms are loud mouthed, opinionated drunks who like to spark up and get aggressive with the 'inferior locals' (basically meaning anyone not from their own community back in Blighty)

Oh. Sorry. You are English.

I'd better start whingeing then.

"Another nail in the coffin.............."

Is that better?

There is no question that this will discourage many Brits that read this from coming here. I think that this point is pretty much unarguable, "buddy". So what if it may reflect British behavior? That doesn't change the point he made. When a person reads something that says a country is the most dangerous place for 'you specifically' to go, that is discouraging.

---Wow this is like a first grade lesson. Why did I bother???

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I am an American Guy, I have lived in Thailand 5 years, Brittan 6 months, Spain a month and France a month, the British behavior while on holiday is outrageous. I fully understand the Spanish Government arresting them repeatedly, if not in bulk and deporting them, Drunk and fighting every night in the pubs, France too. There were bars in France where I couldn't get a drink until I showed my passport to prove I was not British. Thailand is a little further, we can hope only the somewhat more responsible Britts get that far from home, that they might not still be somewhat special, I have no doubt. Behave yourselves! English speakers around the world suffer the consequences of what U do on Holiday! :)

The conduct of British nationals here in eastern Thailand is an abomination. I am sure that behavior is the major cause of the problems Brits encounter here. For some reason, Britain sends her worst examples to tour in Thailand.

I'm from England and I'm not some beer drinking football hooligan. I like a drink at the weekend but I don't cause trouble.

Why is it okay to stereotype the British in this way? How about if we stereotyped the Chinese, Nigerians etc?

because most on here seem to be rude and obnoxious in a different way to the 'rude and obnoxious brits' they are complaining about. some feel it's ok to be judgemental and racist on a messageboard, others behave like a**holes in bars.

personally, i like to behave as pleasantly as possible in both situations. however as a brit, who stays in thailand a lot, i can tell you that the most p*ssed i have ever got here is when my girlfriend's (thai) family and friends get me drunk. When we drink all together, the young thai's often fight amongst themselves also. Anyone who thinks that this type of behavious is exclusively an english problem is allowing their own prejudice and possibly former behaviour cloud their judgement.

young men from all countries behave stupidly sometimes.

Thailand is deadliest holiday destination for Britons

British tourists are more likely to be killed in Thailand than any other destination, according to new figures released today.

Motorbike accidents are the main reason why 269 Britons died there last year, according to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO).

The figures mean that Thailand has the highest rate of deaths in proportion to the number of British tourists of any country worldwide. In the year to March, an estimated 860,000 British tourists visited Thailand.

This figure also makes Thailand the country where, proportionately, British tourists are most likely to end up in hospital, according to the organisation's British Behaviour Abroad report, released today.

The majority of 324 reported hospitalisations in Thailand were due to motorbike accidents, says the FCO, and a high proportion are fatal.

The figures for the report are based on incidents reported to British consulates abroad, so actual numbers could be higher.

On the dangers of visiting Thailand, the organisation says: "Many of the hospitalisations in Thailand are the result of motorbike accidents – particularly in the southern islands.

"Thailand has one of the world's highest road traffic accident rates, almost all of which involve motorbikes."

The Thai law that states safety helmets must be worn is widely ignored according to the FCO, which contributes to the high number of deaths each year. On average 38 people a day die in motorcycle accidents in Thailand.

The organisation also warns: "You should never hand over your passport as a guarantee against returning a motor scooter or cycle. Unscrupulous owners have been known to hold on to passports against claimed damage to the motor scooter or cycle."

Further to that, some vehicles are not road worthy. The FCO says that many of the motorcycles and scooters that are available for hire in beach resorts are unregistered and cannot legally be driven on a public road. This could invalidate any travel insurance policy should the driver wish to make a claim.

On the subject of travel insurance, the report found that financial pressures are causing many British holidaymakers to forgo travel insurance in a bid to save money.

Foreign Office Minister, Chris Bryant, said: "Getting comprehensive travel insurance means that whilst an accident may disrupt your holiday, it won't bankrupt you in extortionate medical or repatriation bills."

Other trouble hotspots revealed by the report include Spain, where 2,032 Britons were arrested last year. This is higher than any other country, although as a proportion of visitor numbers, the highest number of arrests was in the UAE followed by Thailand.

The majority of arrests are drug-related, with one in seven relating to illegal substances. This is particularly so in Thailand – were a quarter of arrests were due to drugs. The UAE also has a low tolerance of drugs – according to the FCO, many Britons arrested in the UAE are transit passengers, who fall foul of the country's strict drug laws, which prohibit some prescription drugs that are legal in the UK.

Among the notable cases is that of Tracy Wilkinson, 45, from West Sussex, who was arrested at Dubai airport in 2005 for possession of codeine, which she had been taking for chronic back pain.

Arrests are also due to "bad behaviour". The UAE has a low tolerance of anti-Islamic behaviour and behaviour that is regarded as disrespectful towards UAE officials.

The FCO advises Britons heading to unfamiliar countries to familiarise themselves with local laws and customs before heading abroad.

-- timesonline.co.uk 2009-08-26

And How many old Britts killed in a motorcycle accident by there young thai g/f's boyfriend? Or made to fall off a condo come to that?

There are good,bad and ugly people everywhere. In proportion to the numbers visiting I would consider British no worse than any other nation. If I were to be influenced by a minority of louts I would have a warped opinion of English people. During my last stay in Karon beach I got friendly with a couple of London lads and I had a fun time with them. On the other hand the carry on in the "No name bar" would lead anyone to believe that British were a nation of drunken louts. In Chiang Mai go to "The old Bell" on Loi Kroh and you will meet some real "Brits". People can get carried away with their personal bias based on an unpleasent experience.

On the issue of motorbike accidents, have a look at a row of motorbikes anywhere in Thailand and tell me how many had tyres that were in roadworthy condition. I believe that the police should concentrate on tyre condition rather than helmets and then watch the accident rate come down. You can buy a cheap helmet at Tesco that offers as much protection as a baseball cap! :)

I started the original thread and yes im a Brit yes i was a frequent visitor to patong yes i like a drink and have fun i have read the post's and it sickens me that we brits are slagged off a piss head whoremongering trouble makers. All the so called brits that live in the LOS are i believe not brits but people jumping on the brit bashing wagon. Lets just have a quick think here where was the beer mat thief from in patong dont remember a brit or brits being chased down the beach rd. Where was the guy from just nicked at swampy with the ecstasy stashed in his undies from, where were the 2 prisoners just executed from need i go on. The tread was about safety not brit bashing, to say we ride about drunk is totally arrogance is it not the fact that most fatalities are caused by locals riding on the wrong side of the road sometimes coming straight at you or the fact the locals ride about at night without lights on or the truck drivers driving vehicles with defective brake's then running off when there is an accident, i could go on and on. These are facts not fiction, was it not the governor of phuket said we get more trouble and bad behaviour from the aussie tourists. Not many brits mentioned there was there. How many young brits in the last year have comitted ( suicide) from throwing themselves from balconies, not a single 1 of you that live there in phuket have mentioned your gun murders in the last 2 monthes, so its ok to have a shootout in a resort full of tourists. or take out 3 men sat having a beer. is Thailand dangerouse ask the guy in phi phi who was drugged and robbed last week. Incidently there with his wife not a brit lager lout.

You're right about the Aussies, I am a true Britisher, living in Australia and I too feel ashamed in regards to Aussie behavior overseas and in Australia. Much to their discredit, they have managed to learn many bad things from the rest of the world. Understanding that as far as the Aussie goes they have seem to be drawn like a magnet to the belief that what happens overseas is how they should be. They take their ques from what America, Britain and Europe is doing and that extends to behavior. They have taken notice of these countries as to "what seems to be acceptable behavior" once outside of Australia. They have become "loud mouthed"; a crown that only Americans around the world once held and; to some extent still do viz " a loud mouth Yank". And of course, they now know how to drink piss in huge quantities and hug each other at football and cricket matches, (they have not yet learned how to beat the shit out of fans from opposing football teams when attending overseas games; but give them time they will learn that too) and; of course smashing a glass in someones face if you don't like what someone says is the latest of the learning, something that was all the rage back in Britain; in places like London, Birmingham Manchester Liverpool and Glasgow; all areas where glassing in th face happens. So yes you are right Aussies have learned how to behave; sad isn't it. :)

Thailand is deadliest holiday destination for Britons

British tourists are more likely to be killed in Thailand than any other destination, according to new figures released today.

Motorbike accidents are the main reason why 269 Britons died there last year, according to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO).

The figures mean that Thailand has the highest rate of deaths in proportion to the number of British tourists of any country worldwide. In the year to March, an estimated 860,000 British tourists visited Thailand.

This figure also makes Thailand the country where, proportionately, British tourists are most likely to end up in hospital, according to the organisation’s British Behaviour Abroad report, released today.

The majority of 324 reported hospitalisations in Thailand were due to motorbike accidents, says the FCO, and a high proportion are fatal.

The figures for the report are based on incidents reported to British consulates abroad, so actual numbers could be higher.

On the dangers of visiting Thailand, the organisation says: “Many of the hospitalisations in Thailand are the result of motorbike accidents – particularly in the southern islands.

“Thailand has one of the world’s highest road traffic accident rates, almost all of which involve motorbikes.”

The Thai law that states safety helmets must be worn is widely ignored according to the FCO, which contributes to the high number of deaths each year. On average 38 people a day die in motorcycle accidents in Thailand.

The organisation also warns: “You should never hand over your passport as a guarantee against returning a motor scooter or cycle. Unscrupulous owners have been known to hold on to passports against claimed damage to the motor scooter or cycle.”

Further to that, some vehicles are not road worthy. The FCO says that many of the motorcycles and scooters that are available for hire in beach resorts are unregistered and cannot legally be driven on a public road. This could invalidate any travel insurance policy should the driver wish to make a claim.

On the subject of travel insurance, the report found that financial pressures are causing many British holidaymakers to forgo travel insurance in a bid to save money.

Foreign Office Minister, Chris Bryant, said: “Getting comprehensive travel insurance means that whilst an accident may disrupt your holiday, it won’t bankrupt you in extortionate medical or repatriation bills.”

Other trouble hotspots revealed by the report include Spain, where 2,032 Britons were arrested last year. This is higher than any other country, although as a proportion of visitor numbers, the highest number of arrests was in the UAE followed by Thailand.

The majority of arrests are drug-related, with one in seven relating to illegal substances. This is particularly so in Thailand – were a quarter of arrests were due to drugs. The UAE also has a low tolerance of drugs – according to the FCO, many Britons arrested in the UAE are transit passengers, who fall foul of the country’s strict drug laws, which prohibit some prescription drugs that are legal in the UK.

Among the notable cases is that of Tracy Wilkinson, 45, from West Sussex, who was arrested at Dubai airport in 2005 for possession of codeine, which she had been taking for chronic back pain.

Arrests are also due to "bad behaviour". The UAE has a low tolerance of anti-Islamic behaviour and behaviour that is regarded as disrespectful towards UAE officials.

The FCO advises Britons heading to unfamiliar countries to familiarise themselves with local laws and customs before heading abroad.

-- timesonline.co.uk 2009-08-26

Maybe the Britt's forgot that it is Left hand side traffic in this Country :)

I'm a Brit living in Thailand and I have to say I agree with the comments above. Too many Brits come here and use the country like a playground wherer anything goes.

I have been coming to Thailand for many years and have recently noticed some Thais becoming a little tired of farangs in their country. I don't blame them, I'm tired of some farangs being here and I'm a farang!!

Its not excusivly British who use the country as a playground - i've seen plenty of American and Europeans doing the same

Well said. This is a report by the FCO on Briish tourists. It would be very interesting to see statistics on the total number of motorcycle accidents involving foreigners in Thailand. Although Brits will be up there in the rankings I am not sure if they would top the charts. Too many inexperienced drivers rent bikes here and the consequences of that is too many accidents.

I think it was the Irish politician Charles Stewart Parnell who stated in the House of Commons that "the English have annoyed half the world and angered the rest!"

Seems some things just do not change ...

I think it was the Irish politician Charles Stewart Parnell who stated in the House of Commons that "the English have annoyed half the world and angered the rest!"

and irish home rule politician from that time is bound to give a fair and balanced view of the english, obviously :)

I am an American Guy, I have lived in Thailand 5 years, Brittan 6 months, Spain a month and France a month, the British behavior while on holiday is outrageous. I fully understand the Spanish Government arresting them repeatedly, if not in bulk and deporting them, Drunk and fighting every night in the pubs, France too. There were bars in France where I couldn't get a drink until I showed my passport to prove I was not British. Thailand is a little further, we can hope only the somewhat more responsible Britts get that far from home, that they might not still be somewhat special, I have no doubt. Behave yourselves! English speakers around the world suffer the consequences of what U do on Holiday! :)

Agreed.

There was a programme on the TV here last week that clearly shows the British out of control on drink and drugs while abroad. They don't represent the majority of British people and are a disgrace to their country. They should stay in the gutter where they often are after a night on the rip.

Spain, France, Estonia, Latvia, Czech, Ireland has had enough of them

Dublin has refused to take any more stags from the UK.

The Scandinavian are the top-drinkers during holidays BUT they always are quiet and POLITE. They don't touch a bike.

Pesche

The Scandinavians are QUIET ??????

You have got to be joking. In my experience I think that they are all profoundly deaf, they SHOUT at each other when they are two feet away. I've seen plenty of them pxxxed out of there tiny heads and being obnoxious and I am not trying to defend the shxt from the UK.

Agreed.

There was a programme on the TV here last week that clearly shows the British out of control on drink and drugs while abroad. They don't represent the majority of British people and are a disgrace to their country. They should stay in the gutter where they often are after a night on the rip.

it was on tv? must be true :D

i've never seen any irish or americans 'out of control on drink and drugs' in thailand :D:D

Interesting.......according to the figures there is a fatality for every injury...see OP.

This is way way above the norm for motorbike accidents. Is this also due to the lack of proper...if any...accident medical teams? Poorly equiped hospitals? Excessive speed?? Crap drivers...well of course. This IS Thailand. Most of them should be in a horse and cart.

Another interesting fact...here we have a safety ad running for those idiotic, sleepy, dopes behind car wheels. It states 60% ...yes 60!...of accidents are the car drivers fault.

Yet another interesting fact found in the UK that the car most often involved with a motorbike accident was a ....wait for it...a Volvo. Kind of suits the above description??

Agreed.

i've never seen any irish or americans 'out of control on drink and drugs' in thailand :D:D

Clarify...TV....the box/telly/tv.

Irish?? Americans?? No way Jose...nowhere as near as bad as the English abroad. Seen the Millwall v West Ham match last night?? They don't need to go abroad.

The 1 single time we had trouble at a match ...ever....was when we played England. What happened?...those fine representatives caused a full on riot.

As stated..these scumbags are not truly representative of the majority of English people.

Just back yesterday after a spin (3,600 kms...9 days) through Wales...UK...and La belle France on my motorbike with my young squeeze ....and everyone could not have been more pleasant or helpful.

As stated ..keep these scum in the gutter where they belong and leave us to get on and enjoy ourselves.

Since most of them are social misfits or total wanke_rs in the first place, I advise that they stay home as they add nothing to this country. If you don't agree, just take a look around; it's obvious to all, except of course, those to whom I am referring. Sorry to many good Brits, as you are not all like most of these individuals. It sure seems like people who do not like or follow rules of civil behaivor like to come to place that also do not like to follow any rules except their own. TaTa.............

ps where did this custom of smashing food on the back of your fork come into play? You only need to look at the design of the fork to know how it was intended to be used. This custom make you look like a monkey that has discovered a new tool, but not sure of its use.........again, sorry Brits, but it is true.

Take pea-eating etiquette - the example often cited as the epitome of snobbish pointlessness. The etiquette books' "correct" method of eating peas (ie the middle/upper-class method) is to use your knife to squash the peas onto the convex back of the fork. The "incorrect" (working-class) method is to turn the fork prongs-up and scoop peas up with it, as though it were a spoon. The incorrect method is clearly more sensible, or at least more ergonomic, in that more peas per forkful are transported from plate to mouth - about 13 on average, according to my tests, as opposed to about eight using the socially superior squashing method.

Do you slurp your noodles?

Dear Thaiatheart,

You are allowed to turn your fork over and eat from the concave side provided that you place your knife down first! Obviously you're of the lower class persuasion, if you need to understand the correct way of eating anything...watch an Aussie, we are never uncouth enough to criticize anyones eating habits! :)

Interesting.......according to the figures there is a fatality for every injury...see OP.

This is way way above the norm for motorbike accidents. Is this also due to the lack of proper...if any...accident medical teams? Poorly equiped hospitals? Excessive speed?? Crap drivers...well of course. This IS Thailand. Most of them should be in a horse and cart.

Another interesting fact...here we have a safety ad running for those idiotic, sleepy, dopes behind car wheels. It states 60% ...yes 60!...of accidents are the car drivers fault.

Yet another interesting fact found in the UK that the car most often involved with a motorbike accident was a ....wait for it...a Volvo. Kind of suits the above description??

Yes has gone down sins the Yanks tried to build Volvos they are not safe to drive any more :)

Agreed.

Clarify...TV....the box/telly/tv.

Irish?? Americans?? No way Jose...nowhere as near as bad as the English abroad. Seen the Millwall v West Ham match last night?? They don't need to go abroad.

The 1 single time we had trouble at a match ...ever....was when we played England. What happened?...those fine representatives caused a full on riot.

As stated..these scumbags are not truly representative of the majority of English people.

Just back yesterday after a spin (3,600 kms...9 days) through Wales...UK...and La belle France on my motorbike with my young squeeze ....and everyone could not have been more pleasant or helpful.

As stated ..keep these scum in the gutter where they belong and leave us to get on and enjoy ourselves.

no, you irish abroad are all perfect. sorry.

i'll try and forget all the things i have seen when i have travelled to the four corners of the globe.

I am not saying the british are perfect and we don't have our a**holes, but the brit bashing from the high horses ridden by other westerners in this thread is ridiculous. If you want to see irish people behaving like idiots abroad try pattaya or koh pha ngan, or closer to home the irish groups drinking in latvia, estonia or the czech republic. Every bit as popular with the locals as we english.

please try to keep your prejudices under control, i for one find it pretty offensive.

Not all British are terrors, its mainly the young when they go in crowds, and the football hooligans. I am British but well respected amongst all my foreign friends here in Thailand & Hong Kong.

But the question related to deaths, is how many of these deaths which the police say are suicides are actually suicides, because this is not just British it concerns all nationals. I know its less paperwork for the police.

I had a friend, he was well off, even his parents were, came to Thailand 2 weeks later was found hung on a suspended ceiling which I don't believe, because he was 18 stone. The police said he missed his flight and had no money to buy a new one.

But the strange thing is the day before, he bought a condo and a go-go bar. Strange if you ask me.

The way I see it Thailand is the sort of place where you can have a LOT of fun, and your dollar takes you so much further but you also need to remember in practically what is a 3rd world country (even though some may argue this) and if you cant keep your head screwed on your shoulder and use some common sense then Thailand is not the holiday destination for you. We had an Aussie stir up a fuss not long ago because she stole a barmat. The Australian consulate office had to get her out of it and thats just unacceptable. GO to Thailand, have fun, get drunk, respect the locals and dont forget where you are or you will run into lots of problems.

Agreed.

I saw it on TV. Ergo it is true.

You guys should remember the pedigree of the lumpen prolitariat Brit

He comes from a peasant stock of bellicose bullying thugs. Thats how we conquered half the world

you cant make a silk purse from a sow's ear, let alone a civilised human being from the average piece of brit cannon fodder

they are too stupid even for the british army and its desperate need for recruits for afghanistan

YET they are breeding like mongrel street dogs aka CHAVS. Its a depressing sight believe me. The police reality progs on uk tv show just how disfunctional brit society has become under Browns PC britain

So think yourself lucky if you are able live quietly in LOS, you just dont know how bad it can get elsewhere.

The Brits might of ruled half the world a century ago, like the greeks and the romans, but who are trying to bully their way today? Yes its the yanks. Do what we say or we bomb you, can extradite anyone without evidence from europe.

Its the young Brits 16-24 that cause most of the agro, as well all the football hooligans. And its not our fault that we have the some of the best football teams in the world. But no matter what nationality you are, whereever there is a crowd, there is always a problem.

I go out twice a week and consume large amount of alcopops, but I always keep myself to myself and never bother anyone. and I've never seen trouble in any of the places I go down walking in the last 2 years, except for the odd Thai girl having a go.

This seems to have turned into a brit bash fest, The op was not about bad behaviour (which I have seen in Thailand form all nationalities even Thais).

It was about how many brits die there compared to other world wide destinations.

I have been coming to los for 6 or 7 yrars and was informed of this fact in a daily newspaper some 6 years ago read by a friend of mine 2 weeks before I flew out.

I would be interested to see how many aussies ,yanks and other nationalities are involved every year in fatalities. I would bet there would be as many involving them as there are brits,its just that their foreign offices havent posted figures like the UK has.

Yes there are some total planks around but they certainly aren't the majority, and not all the fatalites are involving drunks/ bad behaviour.

I knew a guy who died on a bike a few years ago going from phuket to his dads house at the country park ,he just got caught in a heavy rain storm and came off and slid under a truck. He wasnt drunk and had ridden bikes for years in los, it was just a tragic accident.

This will not put me off coming as i have always known there is an inherent danger in visiting developing countries, besides that, my mrs would not be happy if we didnt visit the family and would accuse me of dissliking them if I stopped coming :)

I am British and I have to say that a lot of the trouble I've seen in Thailand seems to come from younger British guys. Probably notice it more being British though. Let's be clear it's not all British people and not even all young British guys but it is quite frankly embarrassing when it is.

Unfortunately I put it down to the British culture and lifestyle. Living in England is so expensive and the weather is so crap that there is nothing to do. So what a lot of young people do is wait until the end of each week until they get paid. Then they go out to pubs and clubs and spend an absolute fortune getting completely off their face, fighting and generally releasing all the built up stress of having done nothing but work all week. If they haven't thrown up several times and don't have a hangover then they haven't had a good time.

This goes along with having saved up all year to go holiday to Thailand. People think they have to have a good time, as they should. But what constitutes having a good time?...please see above!

I just wish they'd spent all that time doing nothing, reading a little about the country they are about to enter and gain a little knowledge and self respect and perhaps, just maybe they might be aware of the risks involved, particularly on motorbikes in Thailand.

Edited by chameleon1977

and irish home rule politician from that time is bound to give view of the english, obviously :)

Well yes. Ah maybe he was just a tiny weeney bit peeved at the 800 years of abuse at the hands of his fair and balanced great white leaders???? As fair and balance a view as he received from his abusers.

As rightly pointed out by a previous poster....it all stems from years of running riot around the world and now having to face the unpalatabe fact it is no longer cool to do so.

Edited by harleyclarkey

Utter crap

All moaning about the brits ( im not one )

All ive seen in 4 years living in Bangkok Thailand is Thais shooting eachother stabbing eachother ( repeatedly ) and chasing eachother down the street in gangs .....was the goon walking down my soi waving a gun about a Brit too ? get real u plonkers

Actually, when I read the article it relates Thailand risks versus other countries risks as collected by the British government. It would be logical to assume that visitors of other nationalities are exposed to the same risks and would experience similar death/accident rates. So I do not think it is fair to focus on British visitors only, without comparative numbers for other nationalities.

What I do think is that vacationers are escaping their homeland and all that is associated with highly structured societies: Rules, rules, rules! They arrive in Thailand and all the rules disappear and they act like kids in a candy store. I do not blame the Thai Police, for lack of traffic enforcement, in many countries there are far less cops per kilometer of road than in Thailand, but people behave! It is illegal in Thailand to drive a motorcycle without a motorcycle driver's license. Yet shops rent motorcycles to tourist who are not trained to drive motorcycles. Police should confiscate the rental bikes for 2 months, if drivers are found not to have the appropriate license, which would help the shop owners be more responsible. And renters should use their common sense; most are far more educated and informed than the locals. I would hazard a guess that 95% of visitors know that M/C are dangerous, that drunk driving is illegal for good reason, that helmets are legislated in their home countries for very good reason too. What make all visitors think that the pavement is softer, the alcohol weaker and their heads are harder in Thailand? Good grief.

Tourists to need to be policed away as they are at home. I can see the protests of "Harassment" if Thai police started dishing out fines to all tourists. What would help is "soft" policing (as opposed to lackadaisical or militant which seem to be the two extremes today). Police can stop this practice without levying fines to tourists, in a nice friendly way. Police and put the thumbscrews to businesses profiting renting bikes while totally disregarding the laws. Sure this is idealist view and likely never to happen. The sad part is, a little common sense on the part of visitors, and a little dissuasion by the police is all that is needed to dramatically improve the vacation experience and safety of tourists from all countries.

Hi All, if brits or any kind of human beings staying in thailand on vacation or for any reason... i don't care!!!!

I met all kind of nations in thailand... and i am very sick of listening to any excuses or whatever...it is not the responsibility of the police or the government of thailand to teach the farangs how they have to behave. it is our job to to respect the country and get a good reputation.

I like to be FREEE in Thailand...but the farangs start to destroy the PEACE in thailand step by step, because of their behaviour!!!!

I am sure, that the people who are affected will never read my comments, but i don't give up.

I love thailand and i will always try to improve the reputation of us, FARANGS....

Buddha be with you....rgds, Tommy.

Edited by thaibiker