Thailand Is Deadliest Holiday Destination For Britons

george

I'm a Brit living in Thailand and I have to say I agree with the comments above. Too many Brits come here and use the country like a playground wherer anything goes.

I have been coming to Thailand for many years and have recently noticed some Thais becoming a little tired of farangs in their country. I don't blame them, I'm tired of some farangs being here and I'm a farang!!

Agreed, I also am British living here in Thailand and on some occasions I have pretended not to speak English so as not to get in a conversation with people who were behaving in a manner which was completely inappropriate. I am talking 2 guys shaved heads, shorts, sleeveless shirts and flip flops, The Sun newspaper tucked under one sweaty armpit, on a bus at the airport going to the aircraft (on the way to Thailand) preaching loudly to some young students about the merits of Pattaya. These people are an embarrassment to the Country and the human race. One of them was also loudly trying persuade the other to share a taxi with him when they arrive, so as not waste his "short time money". Lucky I don't speak English!

What does that have to do with Thailand coming top of the list for being dangerous ?

I think the earlier comments were more apt - how many of the those motorcycle accidents were due to drunk driving ? How many were due to holiday makers learning to drive motorbikes ? How many of the arrests were due to drug use and drunken behaviour ? Those statistics might very well answer why Thailand features top of the list both on safety and arrests.

I for one will continue to think Thailand is very safe - but then I dont ride motorbikes drunk and loose my cool when i'm drunk. I also ride defensively. That said, I have no doubt other nations would report similar statistics for their visitors to Thailand.

Living here in Phuket, I see every nationality is let down by the few - I can see no reason why this thread should become a Brit bashing nor Thai bashing thread as so many seem determined to make it. Lets talk about jumping on the bandwagon instead !

Less Brit or Farang-bashing is a small, but starting step.....focus on the problem(s) AND this is clearly also from those who have who have hung & (survived :-)) here awhile, to be able to talk from experience.....

Example....

Airplane pilots are educated to abstain for a (minimum) period of 12 hours between Bottle and Throttle (i.e. flying their 'plane) and perhaps therein lies a salutory and smart option, maybe?

rgdz and stay safe on those roads, eh....a bit of 'common' is all that is needed to continue a life of Road LOS.

Brewsta

Edited by Brewsta

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The British do have a poor reputation abroad it's true, but in Thailand there are so many visiting nationalities is it really only British tourists that behave badly? I am sure that one reason Brits go a little mad on their holidays is because thanks to the nanny state we have back home where everything is either illegal or bad for your health, there's a sense or relief to leave all that crap behind!

WRONG!!!! I have run a bar in Jomtein and found mostly the Aussies, then Yanks, then the Ruskies make the most trouble. You all forget you have to speak the ENGLISH language to even talk to any Thais or yourselves and if any other nationally gets in trouble he's label British CoZ he's talking English so Shutup!! Seems if we get rid of the first three I mentioned we may find life more relaxing and less troublsome. Lets get this post back on track!! Read the <deleted> head line in English and its about Thailand being deadiest for brits and is a warning not only about taking drugs but riding motorbikes as well with no helmets etc etc. If you still feel you have to bash the brits go home to you own country and leave Thailand. Or talk another language on this forum as for sure you are pissing me off.

I'm a Brit living in Thailand and I have to say I agree with the comments above. Too many Brits come here and use the country like a playground wherer anything goes.

I have been coming to Thailand for many years and have recently noticed some Thais becoming a little tired of farangs in their country. I don't blame them, I'm tired of some farangs being here and I'm a farang!!

Agreed, I also am British living here in Thailand and on some occasions I have pretended not to speak English so as not to get in a conversation with people who were behaving in a manner which was completely inappropriate. I am talking 2 guys shaved heads, shorts, sleeveless shirts and flip flops, The Sun newspaper tucked under one sweaty armpit, on a bus at the airport going to the aircraft (on the way to Thailand) preaching loudly to some young students about the merits of Pattaya. These people are an embarrassment to the Country and the human race. One of them was also loudly trying persuade the other to share a taxi with him when they arrive, so as not waste his "short time money". Lucky I don't speak English!

What does that have to do with Thailand coming top of the list for being dangerous ?

I think the earlier comments were more apt - how many of the those motorcycle accidents were due to drunk driving ? How many were due to holiday makers learning to drive motorbikes ? How many of the arrests were due to drug use and drunken behaviour ? Those statistics might very well answer why Thailand features top of the list both on safety and arrests.

I for one will continue to think Thailand is very safe - but then I dont ride motorbikes drunk and loose my cool when i'm drunk. I also ride defensively. That said, I have no doubt other nations would report similar statistics for their visitors to Thailand.

Living here in Phuket, I see every nationality is let down by the few - I can see no reason why this thread should become a Brit bashing nor Thai bashing thread as so many seem determined to make it. Lets talk about jumping on the bandwagon instead !

Less Brit or Farang-bashing is a small, but starting step.....focus on the problem(s) AND this is clearly also from those who have who have hung & (survived :-)) here awhile, to be able to talk from experience.....

Example....

Airplane pilots are educated to abstain for a (minimum) period of 12 hours between Bottle and Throttle (i.e. flying their 'plane) and perhaps therein lies a salutory and smart option, maybe?

rgdz and stay safe on those roads, eh....a bit of 'common' is all needed to continue a life of LOS.

Brewsta

I am an American Guy, I have lived in Thailand 5 years, Brittan 6 months, Spain a month and France a month, the British behavior while on holiday is outrageous. I fully understand the Spanish Government arresting them repeatedly, if not in bulk and deporting them, Drunk and fighting every night in the pubs, France too. There were bars in France where I couldn't get a drink until I showed my passport to prove I was not British. Thailand is a little further, we can hope only the somewhat more responsible Britts get that far from home, that they might not still be somewhat special, I have no doubt. Behave yourselves! English speakers around the world suffer the consequences of what U do on Holiday! :)

Of course your right about Spain but it is mostly the young that get inebriated and start fighting, but we are talking about Thailand and some people may question the part americans played in making Thailand what it is today while they were here on R and R IN THE 60s/70s there are irresponsible people from every country.

If the police enforced the law in regards to wearing a crash helmet then possibly the average number of people killed each year would drop from the 13,870 that it averages each year and along with teaching kids + adults how to drive and actually to think ahead further than the vehicle in front and explain what anticipation actually means and the benefit to all of using it, I suspect the majority of m/cycle accidents involve a car/truck/lorry.

Hey c'mon ! the police on Samui do enforce the crash helmet rule...............on tea money days !

Although i always wear mine i do keep a lookout for the days when the locals happen to have theirs on :D

However its the falang holidaymaker who usually get caught especially when the bike hirer does'nt bother to offer them a helmet.

The British do have a poor reputation abroad it's true, but in Thailand there are so many visiting nationalities is it really only British tourists that behave badly? I am sure that one reason Brits go a little mad on their holidays is because thanks to the nanny state we have back home where everything is either illegal or bad for your health, there's a sense or relief to leave all that crap behind!

WRONG!!!! I have run a bar in Jomtein and found mostly the Aussies, then Yanks, then the Ruskies make the most trouble. You all forget you have to speak the ENGLISH language to even talk to any Thais or yourselves and if any other nationally gets in trouble he's label British CoZ he's talking English so Shutup!! Seems if we get rid of the first three I mentioned we may find life more relaxing and less troublsome. Lets get this post back on track!! Read the <deleted> head line in English and its about Thailand being deadiest for brits and is a warning not only about taking drugs but riding motorbikes as well with no helmets etc etc. If you still feel you have to bash the brits go home to you own country and leave Thailand. Or talk another language on this forum as for sure you are pissing me off.

You seem to have missed this guys bit about "but in Thailand there are so many visiting nationalities is it really only British tourists that behave badly?"

The answer to this is obvoiusly no. Even if we should try to stick to the tread title I believe there are some valid points here and there are obviously some strong views regarding the 'brit' part of the OP. It's obviously not just britons that cause trouble and ride motorbikes drunk etc. but we are obviously more noticed than most if this thread is anything to go by.

You guys should remember the pedigree of the lumpen prolitariat Brit

He comes from a peasant stock of bellicose bullying thugs. Thats how we conquered half the world

you cant make a silk purse from a sow's ear, let alone a civilised human being from the average piece of brit cannon fodder

they are too stupid even for the british army and its desperate need for recruits for afghanistan

YET they are breeding like mongrel street dogs aka CHAVS. Its a depressing sight believe me. The police reality progs on uk tv show just how disfunctional brit society has become under Browns PC britain

So think yourself lucky if you are able live quietly in LOS, you just dont know how bad it can get elsewhere.

I am really impreesed with your comments . As for conquerers of 1/2 of the word....well I have no comments because it never happened but I'm sure that whatever parts of the word you conquered you've got the reward now. Good or not you get to keep them probabeby because you deserve it?.

:) Next.

British workers have been troublemakers since day one. Foreigners complained about violent night life of London in the 17th, 18th, 19th, 20th and now in the 21st century. Drinking and fighting and then more drinking and fighting. Bad behaviour all around.

It will all go away when Brits finally choose a President! :)

I am an American Guy, I have lived in Thailand 5 years, Brittan 6 months, Spain a month and France a month, the British behavior while on holiday is outrageous. I fully understand the Spanish Government arresting them repeatedly, if not in bulk and deporting them, Drunk and fighting every night in the pubs, France too. There were bars in France where I couldn't get a drink until I showed my passport to prove I was not British. Thailand is a little further, we can hope only the somewhat more responsible Britts get that far from home, that they might not still be somewhat special, I have no doubt. Behave yourselves! English speakers around the world suffer the consequences of what U do on Holiday! :)

Seems a rather harsh judgement of us brits. The days of the footy t-shirt clad hooligans are a distant memory. As we are by no means angels were not as bad as the media portray us to be. When i go on holiday whether its thailand or the greek islands i see all types of people misbehaving and its not usually us brits. The friendliest people are us brits by along shot, just walk into any bar and the person who strikes up a conversation, whether you want one or not will more than likely be one of us. So please dont jump on the i hate all brits as they are trouble makers bandwagon.

I am not here to bash the Brits but this post is nonsense. I have been here for years and I can't ever remember a single time when people were assumed to be a Brit because they speak English. Do you have any idea what percentage on the world's english speaking population are Brits? You also think that people might consider speaking another language on this forum because they piss you off? HAA! Who do you think you are? Actually no need to answer that because nobody cares.

err....Cham et al.....

You seem to have missed this guys bit about "but in Thailand there are so many visiting nationalities is it really only British tourists that behave badly?"

The answer to this is obvoiusly no.

Even if we should try to stick to the tread title I believe there are some valid points here and there are obviously some strong views regarding the 'brit' part of the OP. It's obviously not just britons that cause trouble and ride motorbikes drunk etc. but we are obviously more noticed than most if this thread is anything to go by.

Agreed....

The British Foreign Office released figs yesterday that 856,500 UK & NI visitors came to the Land of Smiles Feb 2008-Feb 2009........ out of Thai figures of total non-immigrant visitors of 16 million in the same period.

..... "Europeans provided close to 4 million visitors in 2008, about 27.22 % of the total. The number of visitors from the Americas, South Asia and Africa, ............." (see link).

http://www.thaiwebsites.com/tourism.asp

Well.....

Cause = Booze, etc. This thread is sadly becoming (another) 'Bash 'em thread'.....

rgdz,

Brewsta

Actually, when I read the article it relates Thailand risks versus other countries risks as collected by the British government. It would be logical to assume that visitors of other nationalities are exposed to the same risks and would experience similar death/accident rates. So I do not think it is fair to focus on British visitors only, without comparative numbers for other nationalities.

What I do think is that vacationers are escaping their homeland and all that is associated with highly structured societies: Rules, rules, rules! They arrive in Thailand and all the rules disappear and they act like kids in a candy store. I do not blame the Thai Police, for lack of traffic enforcement, in many countries there are far less cops per kilometer of road than in Thailand, but people behave! It is illegal in Thailand to drive a motorcycle without a motorcycle driver's license. Yet shops rent motorcycles to tourist who are not trained to drive motorcycles. Police should confiscate the rental bikes for 2 months, if drivers are found not to have the appropriate license, which would help the shop owners be more responsible. And renters should use their common sense; most are far more educated and informed than the locals. I would hazard a guess that 95% of visitors know that M/C are dangerous, that drunk driving is illegal for good reason, that helmets are legislated in their home countries for very good reason too. What make all visitors think that the pavement is softer, the alcohol weaker and their heads are harder in Thailand? Good grief.

Tourists to need to be policed away as they are at home. I can see the protests of "Harassment" if Thai police started dishing out fines to all tourists. What would help is "soft" policing (as opposed to lackadaisical or militant which seem to be the two extremes today). Police can stop this practice without levying fines to tourists, in a nice friendly way. Police and put the thumbscrews to businesses profiting renting bikes while totally disregarding the laws. Sure this is idealist view and likely never to happen. The sad part is, a little common sense on the part of visitors, and a little dissuasion by the police is all that is needed to dramatically improve the vacation experience and safety of tourists from all countries.

:D

Thailand is so far down the track of "no return" that it just ain't gonna happen...............Have you ever seen 4 young kids riding a motorbike to school, no helmets and on the opposite side of the road to traffic :D .

I don't think that the Thai police even see anything wrong......... till tea money day comes around. :)

I resisted the first urge, but couldn't resist seeing it again. "Whooee the hel_l are we to tell people HOW TO TYPE, oops!" Then I glanced at the Profile picture and saw the New Camry. I see.. saying to myself, ...complex.

Cheer mate!

THANKS FOR THE WARNING

I'VE CHANGED MY TRAVEL PLANS FOR NEXT MONTH

AFGHANISTAN HERE I COME

On your keyboard, to the left of the A key is Caps Lock key, turn that off. Learn to type normally.

Stop being so PEDANTIC, what's the difference if he types CAPITALS OR small case, we are NOT on here for a school lesson from YOU or anyone else, stick to the subject or maybe you enjoy upsetting people.

I do not find this in the least surprising when you take into consideration the standard of driving in the UK now............... also people that think it "PC" normal to be drunk or on drugs an absolute must to really enjoy themselves only have "themselves" to blame.

Perhaps they ought to holiday in cloud cuckoo land where they belong!

In case you have not noticed - Thai drivers compared to UK drivers are a 'no contest'. I am no Brit but what a stupid statement! :)

And yes most UK people take advantage of being able to drink and drive and accordingly pay the consequences of their stupidity! :D

No I have not. The figures show needing consular assistant not being killed or dieing. However you wish to interpret the figures it still does make Thailand the most ''Thailand Is Deadliest Holiday Destination For Britons'.

British behavior.....I wonder if there is some kind of trend here concerning Brits. hmmmm

this 'trend' is happening because of the gradual disintegration of what one might term, broadly acceptable standards of behaviour,

i think this really began to take hold in the 1960's and the new 'freedoms' involved with the sexual revolution, divorce and the decline of the 'family' and so on also combined with tremendous changes in work, namely the decline of manufacturing industry. Also combined with potty theories saying 'society is to blame'

behavioural boundries of all kinds have and are collapsing here in the Uk. A new generation of folks born in the 1960's and after think they can do anything they wish

without it affecting anyone or anything. A teacher here can barely raise their voice at an unruly child in case they get sued!!

what is disturbing is that not only does this new generation have no concern for what is arbitrarily right or wrong, they do not seem to have what i would call an

'inner knowingness' of such questions.

someone like me who thinks about such stuff is regarded as a fossil!

That's like saying guns kill people. Thailand doesn't kill Brits, Brits kill Brits. :)

YES !

I dont think these figures should discourage us sensible brits from traveling to thailand. HOPEFULLY it'll scare off a few of the stag party type holiday yobs.

:D hopefully the rising cost of fuel and airline travel will kill off this disgusting behaviour. i would take the financial sacrifice to have a holiday with less of that sort around :D

and im scottish not english so im half off the hook as it is.

A lot of negative comments here regarding British behaviour, as though that is solely responsible for the high incidence of tragic motorcylcle deaths in Thailand.

Well, I have lived in Thailand since 1997, and although I have seen drunken and dangerous driving I would like to suggest some additional reasons for these serious motorcycle injuries:

1). Motorcycle rentals in Thailand are unlicensed and unregulated. Most do not even operate from an office but from the pavement and pay a monthly "rent" to the police.

2). Motorcycle rentals in Thailand buy used and often crashed motorcycles from overseas in a stripped-down state. They imported as "spare parts" - to reduce inport duty - and re-assembed on arrival. They cannot be registered without payment of the correct duties, thus they are not legally registered. You may see a registration sticker on the bike, but this was "paid for" and is not authentic. You may pay for insurance, but there will never be a pay-back in case of accident due to this lack of registration.

3). Many of these re-assembled bikes have bent-frames, or are just not assembled correctly. Thus they do not handle properly, and in wet weather or high-speed manoevure they handle unpredictably resulting in loss of control. Additionally, after an accident in Thailand they are not repaired correctly, but simply touched-up and re-rented.

4). You may or may not be licensed to ride a motorcycle in your home country, or you may be licensed to ride a bike up to a 250cc bike. Motorcyle rentals in Thailand are supposed to check and require a correct license, but many times you will be able to rent a bike of any size without showing any license.

5). Motorcycle helmets are required in Thailand - but for the driver only. Thus although some riders may wear a helmet, the pillion passenger is usually not. It is common to see three or more on a bike, with only the driver wearing a helmet.

6). Although helmets are required, it is not considered necessary to require the strap to be fastened. Thus in an accident the helmet goes flying and offers zero protection.

7). Helmets are available for around 500 Baht, or less than £10. They are made of plastic, and are not rated by any crash protection agency. The offer minimal protection and are worse than nothing in many cases as they offer a false sense of security. Good quality helmets are not available.

I offer these facts in the hope that readers will have a fuller understanding of this issue. I in no way condone excessive regulation and the "nanny-state" that England has become, people should be responsible for their own actions. However, I also do not condone weak and corrupt regulation that fail to offer basic protection to the people from their own stupidity.

Shall we talk about jet-skis now?

I would like to suggest another reason for tourists (Brit, others, drunk or not).

The official Thai Highway code and Thai Traffic laws are not dissimilar from many EU and Western countries. Those of us living in Thailand or have been frequent visitors know the drivers living in Thailand (Thai or Foreign) accept the reality that driving and the Thai traffic laws and highway code are like "chalk and cheese". A big problem new tourists (or newcomers intending to live here) face is they do not realize the driving habits of the locals. Consequently they naturally are much more likely to be involved in an accident. Add alcohol to the equation and it is a very dangerous mix. A drunk is not likely to react quickly to "the anything goes" style of driving here.

I was here in Khon Kaen for a year before I got a m/bike and as an observer and pedestrian I was quite well prepared (but I still see things that take me by surprise after 3 years here).

Tourists have no learning curve and even the few who do check out Thai Highway code in advance of their hols are in for an unpleasant surprise (the Brits for example would think the main difference in UK and Thai traffic laws and highway code is in Thailand one is permitted to turn left on a red traffic light. Officially most other rules are the same as UK.

Tourists not wearing helmets are not helped by seeing so many tourists and locals on the roads not wearing them AND being advised by some renters "not necessary most Thais do not wear helmets" . Well the most Thais do not wear helmets on the correct lines (but an offence).

Bloody hel_l. 394 readers...90% I suspect to defend the English right to behave as one deems appropriate in one's host country.

Well, the fact is that I believe anybody can ride a motorbike in Thailand if you ride slowly and defensively.

Ride like a <deleted> at a speed where you have zero reaction time and you will be dead....or very lucky

As any Thai schoolboy, taxi driver, hotel/resturant owner knows the worse tourists in terms of not being sensitive to their surroundings in Thailand are the Nigerians, Middle Eastern tourists or the Israilies.

Not too keen to slate these guys are we?

Worse than that are the tourists that feel the need to abuse tourist from other nationalities.

None of this bothers me.

Theres only two types of people bother me in the world. Those that are racist towards other nations; and the Dutch.

Anyway; If driving a motorbike in Thailand. Wear a helmet. It makes sense. Also pop a jonny on the old chap if you dont want a does of clap on the tally wackle.

Keep your pecker up.

GFL

Sorry I digress. Please continue to abuse my motherland.

Edited by Geekfreaklover

Quote"Let's call it freedom. If it's not a good place to go to, why don't you go to Ibiza? No cheap girls? Time for you to wake up". End Quote

Freedom? 12,000 traffic road deaths a year , many Drink related. You call it freedom.. hmmm , says it all about your ideals? Fed up with too expensive Ibiza? so lets go to Thailand where "freedom" allows me to behave like the a s s h o le I was in the Uk

Edited by sunnymarky

Thanks GeekFreakLover!

Truth hurts and we don't like anyone to be hurt. People are saying what they feel, what they've seen, what they've experienced first hand. Having said all they have, I'm sure we can be all good friends. Calling names, this that will not help things and surely not get you to sleep either!

No hard feelings pls., and CHEERS to everyone!!

There is nothing better than learning from each other, Farangs in LOS. It is evident of the voices (with exceptions of course), some with emotions and rationale to solidify. This opens up the awareness so the place is good for everyone.

LET go of any hard feelings for it is a small price to pay to be more cautious.

Cheers!

Right on man

Amazing how much anger there is out there towards brits. I guess it must make weak minded people feel more secure and confident (maybe they've got small willies or something) bashing people of another nationality in a vain attempt to prop up their flagging ego and libido. Ah well us Brits are very self deprecating anyway so we don't take it to heart - just have another beer and SMILE

Amazing how much anger there is out there towards brits. I guess it must make weak minded people feel more secure and confident (maybe they've got small willies or something) bashing people of another nationality in a vain attempt to prop up their flagging ego and libido. Ah well us Brits are very self deprecating anyway so we don't take it to heart - just have another beer and SMILE

I am British and will condemn foul mouthed , dangerous , yobbish Brits in Thailand , So should you

I started the original thread and yes im a Brit yes i was a frequent visitor to patong yes i like a drink and have fun i have read the post's and it sickens me that we brits are slagged off a piss head whoremongering trouble makers. All the so called brits that live in the LOS are i believe not brits but people jumping on the brit bashing wagon. Lets just have a quick think here where was the beer mat thief from in patong dont remember a brit or brits being chased down the beach rd. Where was the guy from just nicked at swampy with the ecstasy stashed in his undies from, where were the 2 prisoners just executed from need i go on. The tread was about safety not brit bashing, to say we ride about drunk is totally arrogance is it not the fact that most fatalities are caused by locals riding on the wrong side of the road sometimes coming straight at you or the fact the locals ride about at night without lights on or the truck drivers driving vehicles with defective brake's then running off when there is an accident, i could go on and on. These are facts not fiction, was it not the governor of phuket said we get more trouble and bad behaviour from the aussie tourists. Not many brits mentioned there was there. How many young brits in the last year have comitted ( suicide) from throwing themselves from balconies, not a single 1 of you that live there in phuket have mentioned your gun murders in the last 2 monthes, so its ok to have a shootout in a resort full of tourists. or take out 3 men sat having a beer. is Thailand dangerouse ask the guy in phi phi who was drugged and robbed last week. Incidently there with his wife not a brit lager lout.

"more trouble from Aussie tourists"....................yeh ! i remember her, she hit the world headlines, what a shame for Phuket bars !

Thailand is deadliest holiday destination for Britons

British tourists are more likely to be killed in Thailand than any other destination, according to new figures released today.

Motorbike accidents are the main reason why 269 Britons died there last year, according to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO).

The figures mean that Thailand has the highest rate of deaths in proportion to the number of British tourists of any country worldwide. In the year to March, an estimated 860,000 British tourists visited Thailand.

This figure also makes Thailand the country where, proportionately, British tourists are most likely to end up in hospital, according to the organisation’s British Behaviour Abroad report, released today.

The majority of 324 reported hospitalisations in Thailand were due to motorbike accidents, says the FCO, and a high proportion are fatal.

The figures for the report are based on incidents reported to British consulates abroad, so actual numbers could be higher.

On the dangers of visiting Thailand, the organisation says: “Many of the hospitalisations in Thailand are the result of motorbike accidents – particularly in the southern islands.

“Thailand has one of the world’s highest road traffic accident rates, almost all of which involve motorbikes.”

The Thai law that states safety helmets must be worn is widely ignored according to the FCO, which contributes to the high number of deaths each year. On average 38 people a day die in motorcycle accidents in Thailand.

The organisation also warns: “You should never hand over your passport as a guarantee against returning a motor scooter or cycle. Unscrupulous owners have been known to hold on to passports against claimed damage to the motor scooter or cycle.”

Further to that, some vehicles are not road worthy. The FCO says that many of the motorcycles and scooters that are available for hire in beach resorts are unregistered and cannot legally be driven on a public road. This could invalidate any travel insurance policy should the driver wish to make a claim.

On the subject of travel insurance, the report found that financial pressures are causing many British holidaymakers to forgo travel insurance in a bid to save money.

Foreign Office Minister, Chris Bryant, said: “Getting comprehensive travel insurance means that whilst an accident may disrupt your holiday, it won’t bankrupt you in extortionate medical or repatriation bills.”

Other trouble hotspots revealed by the report include Spain, where 2,032 Britons were arrested last year. This is higher than any other country, although as a proportion of visitor numbers, the highest number of arrests was in the UAE followed by Thailand.

The majority of arrests are drug-related, with one in seven relating to illegal substances. This is particularly so in Thailand – were a quarter of arrests were due to drugs. The UAE also has a low tolerance of drugs – according to the FCO, many Britons arrested in the UAE are transit passengers, who fall foul of the country’s strict drug laws, which prohibit some prescription drugs that are legal in the UK.

Among the notable cases is that of Tracy Wilkinson, 45, from West Sussex, who was arrested at Dubai airport in 2005 for possession of codeine, which she had been taking for chronic back pain.

Arrests are also due to "bad behaviour". The UAE has a low tolerance of anti-Islamic behaviour and behaviour that is regarded as disrespectful towards UAE officials.

The FCO advises Britons heading to unfamiliar countries to familiarise themselves with local laws and customs before heading abroad.

-- timesonline.co.uk 2009-08-26

800,000+ british tourist each year... thats amazing!

Thats like 1 in 50 people in the UK go to Thailand every year!!

Jon, you nailed it.

I've just come back from the fridge with a cold bottle. I won't be driving. I won't be fighting. I'm not a tourist.

What do I care?

Odd that surveys put Britons bottom of the list in European holiday destinations, and top for behaviour and manners further afield. including Thailand.

My own experiences are that being close to one nationality ,then earplugs may be necessary (a joke appreciated by Khon Thai). And yet another who really don't travel well at all. Those who understand something of the phoenix rising from the Ashes will know to whom I refer. :D

Cheer on, we learn from each other ie., what's being voiced and by listening gracefully they will listen to you. (In future events..

Signing off, until next post..

:D :D

Why this topic is suddenly focusing on deadly accidents on Thai roads is beyond me; maybe because the original OP article wrote about that but the article by The Times has the WRONG CONTENT! of 2007 instead the new facts of 2008.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Thailand-Dea...71#entry2968671

For instance: there are four British Nationals who're facing the Capital Punishment ie the Death Penalty in Thailand.... :)

"Source: FCO 2008 Annual Human Rights Report. 'Capital charges' means criminal charges that carry the death penalty. There are twelve British Nationals facing capital charges in Pakistan, four in Thailand, three in the USA, two in Bangladesh and one in the UAE"

Some other facts: Britons in Thailand:

* 288 total deaths in Thailand - from 01 April 2008 > 31 March 2009

* 41.000 British residents in Thailand

* 54 drug arrests

* 202 total arrest/detention

* 198 hospitalisation

* 3 rape

* 774 lost/stolen passports

From: http://www.fco.gov.uk/resources/en/pdf/305...d-report-240809

LaoPo