Loy Krathong In Chiang Mai

chakran

"What makes you think that?"

Visit to both the CM Tourist Office and TAT office yesterday...

If that's true, well that is terribly disappointing. I don't see the difference between a gathering like that and the Friday or Sunday night walking street markets for example - in terms of germs floating around in the air.

The full moon is November 2 this year, which is a Monday. It should be a busy weekend.

Wow, that is much earlier than the past few years! I's always been much later in November when I've been around. I might miss it this year as I promised to help my daughter move into her new home in November.

Where apart from Tuskers is the best place to take part in the Loy Krathong festivities with Night parades etc this year ? My wife and I are due out for two weeks holiday in the fair city whilst the festival is on.

How far in advance would you have to book a seat at any of the riverside restaurants for that weekend?

Where apart from Tuskers is the best place to take part in the Loy Krathong festivities with Night parades etc. ... snip ...

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Sappersrest,

While I like Tuskers, imnho it's a long way from the where the main processions, parades, etc. take place. You need to be nearer Thapae Gate, or down Thapae Road, or on Thanon Rajadamnern Rd.

best, ~o:37;

I called TAT today, and the Mae Jo Khom Loy will be on the 24th October.

Thanks for the clarification. I had my doubts when another member insisted it had been canceled. This is a big money maker for local vendors and is also a large Buddhist event. Canceling the event didn't make any sense.

Both the TAT and the CM Tourist Office told me to my face that the event was cancelled...however, this is Thailand...they also gave me some numbers to ring for the organisers

66 (0)53-498423 or 66 (0) 53-353174

Maybe a Thai speaker could ring and confirm what is happening?

• 1 month later...

We talked to someone at the TAT on Sep 19, and they said the MaeJo launch would have been on Oct 24, but it was cancelled due to the swine flu. As others have said, things sometimes change.

In any case, I'm trying to get people to gather to do a small group launch of our own:

Meet in front of Wat Upakhut on Tha Phae Road near the intersection with Chang Klan Rd (the night market) at 8pm (20:00) on Nov 1. Show up with a sky lantern or two (or more!).

(Not being able to post a URL here is kind of lame. Look up these coordinates on Google Maps: 18.787728,99.001488 )

This is right around the corner from the Night Market, so I'm guessing the lanterns will be easy to find. You can spot me by looking for a white and black diamond-shaped sticker I'll be wearing that has a picture of a boy jumping for a rope swing.

The full moon is November 2 this year, which is a Monday. It should be a busy weekend.

Wow, that is much earlier than the past few years! I's always been much later in November when I've been around. I might miss it this year as I promised to help my daughter move into her new home in November.

It's an early full moon this year, Ian, I think that's the reason.

My annual Songkran visitors decided that this year they would like to try a slightly less chaotic festival so they will be arriving on 30th October to enjoy Loy Krathong/Yi Peng . . . we'll see how that works out!

JxP

There doesn't seem to be a consistent reason for the cancellation of the Mae Jo event. Mae Jo Uni said they couldn't raise any interest in sponsoring it this year, someone above cites Swine Flu and in response to an enquiry from City Life the Governor's Office puts it down to environmental concerns and the hazards posed to aviation.

Whatever the reason, the lack of the mass launch of Khom Loys leaves the Chiang Mai festival calendar significantly worse off especially since the pictures of it were widely featured on a major TAT poster campaign. I wouldn't be surprised to see cancellation of Songkran next year as a result of the exposé of road casualties in CM on Big Trouble in Tourist Thailand this week. :)