Pitsanulok - Any Recommendations

bergen

While going sightseeing by car later this year, we may consider a stopover in P'lok.

Does anyone have any recommendations when it comes to hotel/restaurant/nightlife?

Topland or the Lagoon are the best 2 hotels in town.

I've spent about a year in total in Phitsanuloke since the early 1980's till the last time about 7 yrs back.

Like any town in Thailand there is plenty of nightlife if you look for it.

Also a few mini waterfalls out of town where you can laze around and buy local food from the vendors at local prices.

Back in 1984 we were way up in the hills with some Thai Special Forces guys, a long drive followed by a long walk but the destination was fantastic. Haven't got a clue where it is now but back then it was off limits to the general public due the recent communist activity at the time.

Phitsanuloke is well worth visiting and if you see a little dark haired lass with big dark eyes, around 35 yrs old who answers to the name Nui, please tell her I still love her.

Topland or the Lagoon are the best 2 hotels in town.

I've spent about a year in total in Phitsanuloke since the early 1980's till the last time about 7 yrs back.

Like any town in Thailand there is plenty of nightlife if you look for it.

Also a few mini waterfalls out of town where you can laze around and buy local food from the vendors at local prices.

Back in 1984 we were way up in the hills with some Thai Special Forces guys, a long drive followed by a long walk but the destination was fantastic. Haven't got a clue where it is now but back then it was off limits to the general public due the recent communist activity at the time.

Phitsanuloke is well worth visiting and if you see a little dark haired lass with big dark eyes, around 35 yrs old who answers to the name Nui, please tell her I still love her.

Thanks BB - and I'll sure tell Nui if I see her :)

While going sightseeing by car later this year, we may consider a stopover in P'lok.

Does anyone have any recommendations when it comes to hotel/restaurant/nightlife?

The nightlife is good in Phitsanulok!

You should go to Sanuk-neuk, pretty fun bar...

wat mahathat - my wife's temple. Very beautiful, one of the best in thailand and there is always a a nice market nearby, plus some old ruins close to it. I will be there myslef next month

http://ca.images.search.yahoo.com/images/v...ur&type=JPG

here is a link showing the wat and other places to see there. Enjoy!

While going sightseeing by car later this year, we may consider a stopover in P'lok. Does anyone have any recommendations when it comes to hotel/restaurant/nightlife?

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Bergen,

I don't even remember the name of the low-rent hotel I spent one night in, in Phitsanulok years ago.

But a a few hour visit to the Wat Phra Si Rattana Mahathat, home of the world-famous Phra Buddha Chinnarat,

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/1197757.jpg

and a long walk around the Wat to admire "Khmer style" "corn-cob" chedi was fascinating.

In my perceptions, the Phra Chinnarat Buddha's powerful effect is accentuated by the relativley not-steep ceiling walls (compared to say Lanna Wat architecture) that "close in" to contain the sacred figure, the contrast of the red decorated and gilt enhanced columns. It feels, to me, like a perfect and magical combination of icon and architecture. i personally rank it among the most beautiful Asian "sacred art" I have ever seen along with the Hase-Khannon Boddhisattva of the 11th. century in the Izu peninsula in Japan, to the magnficent four-sided Jain "tirthas" of marble (figures of Mahavir) in the Jain temples of centuries ago in the Abu Road area on the way between Delhi and Mumbai (Bombay), or the great 11th. century Boddhisattvas in the temple in Kunming in front of which hang 80 foot long suspened dragons.

The Chinnarat, you may notice, has a distinct Urna in his forehead, and while he goes back to the 14th. century or earlier, it believed by scholars that he was probably cast by three artisans from nearby Sri Satchanalai, along with Sawankhaloke a great center for making ceramics for export, and the statue may well have been cast by Mon people in a somewhat "Mon/Indic/Khmer" (scholars disagree with this, but the Urna, in particulary, is not characteristic of middle Thai (or Lanna Buddhas) of the 14th. centuries.

I personally found Phitsanulok, the time I was there hot, dusty, boring except for the Wat and the Chinnarat Buddha; I took a bus to Sukhotai, and my twilight tour of the ruins there was as wonderful as visiting the Wat Phrathat temple in Phitsanulok. The only night-life I was looking for was a bed with a reading lamp :) But the local food was great (mainly ate from street vendors).

best, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

Grand Riverside is a good hotel, my uncle's friend owns it. The hotel is very good and it has got 2 parking sites, one in the front and one at the back. The breakfast is very good and has a TV you can watch. You can ask for Thai Massage (not prostitution type) and they can massage you in the room.