Ridgley's Restaurant Is Closing

brennanstimpy

I have mentioned on other posts about Ridgley's restaurant. Well the land lord is bumping their rent up 1000% so, they are closing down. I would highly recommend going there before they are gone if you love farang food. Saturday is their last day. I am so bummed out. Their pizza is the best American pizza in Chiang Mai.

I have heard good things about them. Could they move to the Thapae Gate area and put their menu directly on their website, so one is not required to download it? Make it easy for us to try you!

I have told you before it is not my restaurant(why dont you believe me?). I don't think they could manage moving to the Thapae area, although they should, and the menu is only going to be available for another few days so not worth the time to put it on the website I imagine. I don't understand why you have to download it either.

Both their website and a sign in the restaurant, which I visited by chance today for the first time, suggest that they will be moving to another location, but do not yet know where it will be. The food was very good, and I look forward to visiting them again wherever they end up.

Edited by Rasseru

For those who have these problems with raising the rent abnormal:

There is jurisprudence in LOS that protects the renter. It is only possible to raise until reasonable amount. Depending on situation, building, age of building, length of previous contract etc.

Stay where you are, pay the rent and let them go to court. There is No judge in Thailand who will agree with these ridiculous raise.

I too have enjoyed the food from Ridgeleys.

Great ribs and IMHO very good Pizza, but for me the best is the ultimate fatboy fodder:- The french fires with chilli and cheese on top, absolutely fabulous it really hits the spot.

Will be sorry when they go, hopefully they will open up somewhere in the near future, with a bit of luck on the north side again.

Good luck to them.

Edited by mickmac

Both their website and a sign in the restaurant, which I visited by chance today for the first time, suggest that they will be moving to another location, but do not yet know where it will be. The food was very good, and I look forward to visiting them again wherever they end up.

This is definitely true, but it is looking more like it isnt going to happen when plausibility comes into play with finances.

The pizza is the best we have had here in Chiang Mai, it totally sucks if the landlord has increased the rent to such an amount, this has also happened to us with a house here. I hope that Ridgleys find another venue and continue to make great food! Good luck Ridgleys!

Actually, they cite a different reason for re-locating on their Facebook Page:

Dear Fans,

In case you did not receive the update we sent out, Sat. Aug. 29th, will be the last day at our current San Sai location. The close is due to a short notice on the non-renewal of our rental contract because the owners are selling the property. We will notify you again when we are up and running at our new, yet unknown location. Thanks for being fans!

Sincerely, The Ridgley's Team

Since the church buildings adjacent to the restaurant have had a huge For Sale sign up for some time, this seems a more likely explanation than simply a rent increase.

I hope they can find a convenient but cost effective place to move to as their ribs were really excellent.

Dear Fans,

In case you did not receive the update we sent out, Sat. Aug. 29th, will be the last day at our current San Sai location. The close is due to a short notice on the non-renewal of our rental contract because the owners are selling the property. We will notify you again when we are up and running at our new, yet unknown location. Thanks for being fans!

Since the church buildings adjacent to the restaurant have had a huge For Sale sign up for some time, this seems a more likely explanation than simply a rent increase.

I hope they can find a convenient but cost effective place to move to as their ribs were really excellent.

As far as I know they were the only restaurant of significance in San Sai. If they close, that's it! No more good meals to be had in San Sai - except for home-cooked that is (disclaimer required).

Edited by venturalaw

The referenced restaurant must be a great place :D because none of my friends and acquaintenances has not got the slightest idea where it is and many have never heard of it 'until this thread' was posted :)

From my one experience there yesterday, it does seem to be -- we're now nearly at the point where I should instead say 'seem to have been' -- a great place. Your friends and acquaintances must not be regular visitors to Thai Visa Forum. I learned about the restaurant on these pages weeks ago and yesterday finally fulfilled a long-held promise to myself to check it out.

Man first we only discovered Ridgley's a month ago, and secondly enjoyed there bbq sauce which can be purchased separately to - both great eats. Worth the trip to the opposite side of town.

We wish the owner good luck in finding a new local!

The referenced restaurant must be a great place :D because none of my friends and acquaintenances has not got the slightest idea where it is and many have never heard of it 'until this thread' was posted :)

We tried it once and thought it was O.K., nothing special. Certainly not worth driving out to Sansai for. We didn't care for the pizzas at all but the homemade salad dressings were good and were a nice change from the horrible sweet mayonnaise sauce that the Thai restaurants put on the salads. I believe it is owned by some missionaries. It kind of reminded me of the kind of food you find in a diner in a small town in Texas or somewhere. It was crowded when we were there so there must be some satisfied customers out there. I wish them well in their new venture.

We tried it once and thought it was O.K., nothing special. Certainly not worth driving out to Sansai for. We didn't care for the pizzas at all but the homemade salad dressings were good and were a nice change from the horrible sweet mayonnaise sauce that the Thai restaurants put on the salads. I believe it is owned by some missionaries. It kind of reminded me of the kind of food you find in a diner in a small town in Texas or somewhere. It was crowded when we were there so there must be some satisfied customers out there. I wish them well in their new venture.

I just came from there and took home their Italian pizza - fresh tomatoes, olives, Italian sausage and peperoni - I have them add garlic and extra cheese. One of the best pizzas I have experienced in Chiang Mai.

However, more to the point of the thread, I spoke to the owners (father and son) and found out that they are moving the restaurant to a new location, most likely on Chiangmai-Maejo Rd. (still in San Sai). The reason for the move is because the bank took over the building and would rather have it vacant than rented while seeking a new buyer (go figure, but then we are in Thailand). So the restaurant will continue - just don't know exactly where it will be located. I am on their email list so as soon as I know, I'll post the info.

Dear Fans,

This is true, but the reason they are leaving at the end of August and not the end of October which is the end of the lease is because of the 1000% increase in rent, which they actually paid this month. I hope they do move to the Mae Jo location just because I want them to be opened still. I asked the owner about moving it to ThaPae area UG and he told me that he wants a place that has a lot of parking and is safe for kids to play outside, so it was a no go. Anyway, there are still two days left people, try and make it there while you still can.