Thai News = Snuff Film

AskTheCPT

I was at Lumpini Park today and there was a news team doing a story about the Monitor Lizards because they were featured on BBC news. I was filmed and a friend was interviewed so for the last 2 hours I've been watching Thai News.

They showed a motorcycle accident death happen, then a video of the body outlined in chalk on the street. I was also told they actually showed a firing squad execution.

My question is: Is this commonplace on Thai news? Is it for entertainment purposes? Is death not that big a deal because of reincarnation or something?

My question is: Is this commonplace on Thai news? Is it for entertainment purposes? Is death not that big a deal because of reincarnation or something?

It is commonplace. It's for news purposes. It is a big deal, they just don't 'sugarcoat' and hide the details of current events in Thailand like they do in the west.

Yes it's common, it's for entertainment, and it's because it gives high ratings. Look at some of the newspapers and magazines, same thing, filled with murder and rape victims, suicides, people killed in car crashes, etc. Try not to die an embarrassing death in Thailand (apparently unless you're a celebrity) because your picture will be splashed everywhere.

"The good news is the advertising. That's what it's about,

and the bad news--the dead guys and the crime--

is to get the suckers into the tent."

Edited by mahtin

I was at Lumpini Park today and there was a news team doing a story about the Monitor Lizards because they were featured on BBC news. I was filmed and a friend was interviewed so for the last 2 hours I've been watching Thai News.

They showed a motorcycle accident death happen, then a video of the body outlined in chalk on the street. I was also told they actually showed a firing squad execution.

They don't use a firing squad for execution, the method used is lethal injection.

They do show people that have passed away on television, but in no way is it associated with the demented sexual gratification derived from snuff films and to make that analogy is preposterous and reflective of someone not capable of understanding that just because cultural differences exist, that doesn't make one culture perverse.

it is very common in Thailand (but - as far as I know - not in any other Asian country), so it's no wonder that many Thai people are emotionally atrophied....