Citi Bank In Chiang Mai

jc14all

I'm moving to Chiang Mai in October of this year 2009 and ask if anyone knows if there is a Citi Bank located in the city of Chiang Mai? Any help with locating a Citi Bank in or near Chiang Mai will be much appreciated.

Hi jc14all.I live near a citi bank corporate headquarters in the USA, Delaware;and the future for this bank may be in question.If I were to be looking for a bank, I would choose one that does not charge the 150 bt.fee each time you use the atm.From reading the posts on this site such banks include GSB(GOV.SAVINGS BANK),UOB and AEON atm's.I see this is your first post.choke dee(good luck)

Hi jc14all.I live near a citi bank corporate headquarters in the USA, Delaware;and the future for this bank may be in question.If I were to be looking for a bank, I would choose one that does not charge the 150 bt.fee each time you use the atm.From reading the posts on this site such banks include GSB(GOV.SAVINGS BANK),UOB and AEON atm's.I see this is your first post.choke dee(good luck)

Thanks for the information and advice. It sounds like finding a good bank to transfer money online is a challenge. I suppose that I will have to wait until I arrive to find a suitable bank in Chiang Mai. I really appreciate the help and sorry if I posted this thread in the wrong place.

The only advantage of using Citibank in Thailand is that you can transfer monies directly from one Citibank Account to another using the internet. On the negative I tried to open an account with them a few years ago and they required a work permit. I opened an account with Krung Thai bank here in Chiangmai and can't be bothered changing.

Just remember here in Thailand each area is separate.

Chiangmai banks work together, if I go to Bangkok they charge me a fee for taking money from an ATM even if it a KTB ATM. Also if you are not in Chiangmai you have trouble withdrawing large amounts of money eg when I bought my house I had a KTB in another town. When I went to the KTB bank here in Chiangmai I could I could only withdraw 110K a day, they would not issue a cheque either. I had to go to my KTB branch and get the cheque and then bring it back to pay for the house. Luckily I had checked it out a couple of days earlier and able to get the money before the settlement date.

Edited by newcomer01

Thanks for the information and advice. It sounds like finding a good bank to transfer money online is a challenge. I suppose that I will have to wait until I arrive to find a suitable bank in Chiang Mai. I really appreciate the help and sorry if I posted this thread in the wrong place.

US online banks can be useful as well and with better costs. Look at WWW.bankrate.com for gereral info.

I'm moving to Chiang Mai in October of this year 2009 and ask if anyone knows if there is a Citi Bank located in the city of Chiang Mai? Any help with locating a Citi Bank in or near Chiang Mai will be much appreciated.

I still use my Citibank account despite not having lived in the US for more than 10 years. While there is no branch here, I do everything with them over the internet and via e-mail. I have another account with Bangkok Bank here in Chiang Mai and for the $30 fee (at Citi's end), I occasionally wire money from Citi into Bangkok bank and use their ATM to access cash. If you wire the money in big chunks, the $30 wire fee comes out a lot cheaper than piling up the ATM fees.

1. Citibank is not going to fail. This is false information. Perhaps you hold put options on the shares?

2. UOB charges 150 Baht per ATM transaction since last week.

I see this is your first post too, since you took aim at the OP for the same reason.

Edited by elektrified

I still use my Citibank account despite not having lived in the US for more than 10 years. While there is no branch here, I do everything with them over the internet and via e-mail. I have another account with Bangkok Bank here in Chiang Mai and for the $30 fee (at Citi's end), I occasionally wire money from Citi into Bangkok bank and use their ATM to access cash. If you wire the money in big chunks, the $30 wire fee comes out a lot cheaper than piling up the ATM fees.

I've had accounts at Citibank USA for 25 years now and although I seldom use them anymore since I mainly do my banking in Europe and Thailand, I would never change U.S. banks. They offer great customer service and can handle any type of International transaction.

I concur with the assessment of daniel636.

Edited by elektrified

Hopefully with the recent changes to the Bank of Thailand rules about foreign banks allowing them to have up to 3 branches now, Citibank and others can setup branches in other big towns, would expect CM to be one they'd consider along with Phuket most probably.

Martin

Thank you for all the helpful information everyone. Since I have gone through the process of establishing a Citi Bank account in the states that is linked nicely to other accounts in USA, the Bangkok bank in Chiang Mai sounds like a feasible option except for the $30 wire fee. Instead of wiring money between international banks, wouldn't it be less expensive to electronic transfer fund via internet? Or, am I being too optimistic in thinking that the Bangkok bank of Chiang Mai has internet banking?

Thank you for all the helpful information everyone. Since I have gone through the process of establishing a Citi Bank account in the states that is linked nicely to other accounts in USA, the Bangkok bank in Chiang Mai sounds like a feasible option except for the $30 wire fee. Instead of wiring money between international banks, wouldn't it be less expensive to electronic transfer fund via internet? Or, am I being too optimistic in thinking that the Bangkok bank of Chiang Mai has internet banking?

Firstly all banks will charge for electronic transfers. For reference I use Citibank in Australia, They charge AUD 25 for the transfer which is done using internet through my account then they call back the next day and confirm (outsourced to India it sounds like). Problem you cannot take advantage of the xchange rates as you do not know when they will call back. Transaction will not happen until it is confirmed. Always send the money your local currency eg US$. All you require from the Bkk Bank (or any bank) is the swift number - bank name - branch address - account name - account number. (your local bank will be able to supply this info). For transfers to a Citibank account worldwide is is AUD10 and it is done automatically. (Not all Countries are available but Thailand is one that is allowed)

I am sure the US will have a similar system. Many banks including Citibank (Aust) charge 2% for foreign exchange using ATM's then include the 150 Baht they charge here the US$30 isn't so bad. If you get 20,000 baht from an ATM it will cost you 450 Baht in fees each time.

Check your own bank for fees. Should be available online. Apart from the fees I would think the system would be similar.

Hope this has been of some help.

Just to add most of the banks in Thailand have internet banking. I use Krung Thai Bank, not as flexible as Aust banking but get most things done.

Edited by newcomer01