Ranong Murder Verdict

richardshane

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok I'm sure Richard won't mind. I have just got back from town. As far as we can work out, initially the black widow and lover boy were giving the death penalty. However as they confessed all, that was commuted to life without hope for appeal or pardon. Jinda Sae Tae was given life, but because of his suspected involvement in numerous other killings. Not withstanding a weapon was never found, he also will have no appeal nor pardon.

Richard is well pleased with the result and is now making moves to get back Dale's property, first on the list is the Harley. He knows where it is.

Excellent news Mosha. It would appear that justice has prevailed.

Ok I'm sure Richard won't mind. I have just got back from town. As far as we can work out, initially the black widow and lover boy were giving the death penalty. However as they confessed all, that was commuted to life without hope for appeal or pardon. Jinda Sae Tae was given life, but because of his suspected involvement in numerous other killings. Not withstanding a weapon was never found, he also will have no appeal nor pardon.

Richard is well pleased with the result and is now making moves to get back Dale's property, first on the list is the Harley. He knows where it is.

My sincere congratulations to the family ie Mary-Jane and Richard, sister and brother of murdered Dale Henry! Also thanks to Mosha who worked so hard to cover the story and help, behind the scene.

It won't bring back Dale and a lot of -property and financial- damage can't be undone but the feeling that Justice in Thailand (!) has been done is a major victory for ALL Farang in Thailand and, not in the least because of the efforts of Richard and Mary-Jane.

Your anger towards your own government in Canada and Embassy in Bangkok helped....

Looking back the trial proceeded faster than anyone could imagine (1,5 year since the murder) because I know of another (exactly similar) murder case that took much longer and whereby the wife is still out on bail and the main convicted murdered (sentenced to death) disappeared and is still on the run and that murder took place already in 2003. That family is still fighting for justice.

So, all in all it took much less time although in your minds it took many years and decades.

Also: I am really surprised that the three convicted (co)-murderers showed up at the courthouse today because I was really afraid that they would run. If that was plain stupidness we will (luckily) never know :)

Richard/Mosha: I don't understand the meaning of the sentence:

"Jinda Sae Tae was given life, but because of his suspected involvement in numerous other killings" ??

Was he given "life" because of his suspected involvement in numerous other killings as he still has to face other trials ?

Why not the death penalty ? After all he was the one who actually killed Dale...

But, as others already said: I feel relieved and maybe you can try now to start living on and remember Dale as he was: a good man!

LaoPo

These other killings are from in some cases years back. AFAIK this is the first time he's had to face a full trial. Plenty of initial court appearences but dropped because of lack of evidence. This time his accusers were his employers. The guys in town and I have our own suspicions of why the gun has never been found in any of his jobs, we believe he gets it from a police officer. Indeed I was told someone who claimed to a fiend to Dale, a policeman was absent from court today.

These other killings are from in some cases years back. AFAIK this is the first time he's had to face a full trial. Plenty of initial court appearences but dropped because of lack of evidence. This time his accusers were his employers. The guys in town and I have our own suspicions of why the gun has never been found in any of his jobs, we believe he gets it from a police officer. Indeed I was told someone who claimed to a fiend to Dale, a policeman was absent from court today.

Thanks Mosha and I understand about the other (old) murders and/or Jinda Sae Tae suspected to be involved in those murders.

However, that doesn't answer my question WHY he was give life instead the death penalty in Dale Henry's murder; was there a reason ? :)

LaoPo

From Thai Rath, with a picture of Richard Henry.

http://www.thairath.co.th/content/region/29106

:D Congratulations Richard post-13995-1251369807_thumb.jpg Richard Henry

The whole world is proud of you and I'm sure your brother Dale is smiling, sitting on a cloud, being SO PROUD of his brother!

You performed an immense job being someone from the other side of the world -not speaking the language- who was not familiar with the Judicial system, Thai environment and customs.

Without you and Mary-Jane the outcome would have been entirely different. Even Thai people would have had an immensely difficult task to bring such people behind bars.

Ultimate Respect ! :D:)

LaoPo

Such wonderful news! This has made my day.

I will admit that I am glad they did not get a death sentence. I do hope they will truly serve their life sentence, for life, rotting in a Thai prison full of misery, pain, and suffering. I have not an iota of pity for any of those greedy basterds. Let em' rot, death is too good for them.

I hope the family will be able to recover Dale's things as well. I'm aware from the previous thread that the black-widows mother is a true <deleted> as well. Hopefully, she too will serve the fate of suffering as well. She too deserves nothing above that.

Congratulations to Dale's family!

The stupid thing in all this. Jinda Sae Tae is a good builder, I didn't know at the time the work was his. However after just talking to my wife, and her telling me what he has done. So I said why do something so bad when he can have a steady income. Her response, shooting a gun is easy work. dam_n I always thought they had to train soldiers to kill. ie if you can see the whites of the eyes you can see into their soul.

Having a chat with Richard in Sophon's, he joked I wouldn't have to worry about the gun man passing by any more. I got back with "That's no comfort, at least I knew who the gunman was. Now I'm in the same boat as everyone else." Dark humour I know, and ignorance is bliss as they say. It was Dale's murder that got me going into town to meet the other expats. So for me some good came of it, I just wish I could have met the guy.

@ LaoPo I think his sentence was all down to the gun never been found. It would be interesting to know if the gun to killl Dale was the same one used in Phato. Logic says he has nothing to lose now so why not come clean?

@ LaoPo I think his sentence was all down to the gun never been found. It would be interesting to know if the gun to killl Dale was the same one used in Phato. Logic says he has nothing to lose now so why not come clean?

Thanks Mosha! Do you mean to say that he never confessed and the Judge didn't have any other alternative than to give him "life" instead the death penalty just because a gun was never found ? :D

@Crossy: Thank you ! :) the family will be pleased and hopefully it reaches the Bangkok- English Press, but above all: the Canadian National Press and television networks !

LaoPo

Great news, 3 amoral soul-less people off the streets forever.

Richard ,sorry for the loss of your irreplacable brother,

but take some small consolation that

the ongoing lives of these slime will be

utterly miserable till they die.

Hopefully, the type of person that commits this type of crime will see the end result and think twice before murdering someone. A line in the sand was drawn and maybe, just maybe the verdict reached will prevent another premeditated murder. If all the work done, all the stress and suffering endured by the family can save a life, than what better way to honour Dale'? It's a much needed boost to people's spirits to see regular folks obtain a bit of justice.

I think we were feeling vulnerable for a while. I know 3 gunmen were approached to kill Dale, 2 said 60,000฿ was not enough for a Farang. (30K now 30K later.) JST said OK. The sad thing is loss of face can be a serious business, and even in legal matters the Thais don't trust the system. Someone will no doubt fill the gap the gunman left. Criminals by their nature are stupid, they think they won't get caught. One way or another justice catches up with them. I'm surprised the gunman survived to reach court given who some of his employers are said to be.

Did the ex-wife's mother get any sort of reprimand?

Sounds as though she was in the same house at the same time when Dale was offed.

I don't think anyone can deny she knew what was going on from the get-go, and therefore a virtual accomplace to the heinous crime.

I've heard, direct from a Thai lawyer, that knowingly harboring a criminal is not a crime in Thailand, so perhaps knowledge of a crime (and not divulging such info) is also allowable here in Land Of Smiles.

Kudos to the Judge who made the call. Too often, farang bash court decisions here, so now we have at least one decision to look to - that's fair and wise.

I've been following this case since I first saw the thread some months ago. I have to admit that I didn't think that I would see justice being done, despite the overwhelming evidence against the three.

I am really pleased for Mary-Jane and Richard that the result was as good as it was. Life without parole is a just reward for such cold-hearted infamy.

As others before me have said, it won't bring back your brother, but at least now you won't have the added pain of knowing that the perpetrators are enjoying their ill-gotten gains at his expense.

If the attendant publicity prevents another chancer from trying the same thing, then all the effort and persistance you've shown will have been more than worth it.

Good luck to both of you in the future. I hope this horrible experience will fade soon, and allow you to return to a normal existence.

I doubt this is over. A year or two, wait until the dust settles and the fix will be in. An intended quiet release when it is all quiet again is the only way the absence of a death sentence on the gunman makes any sense.

Don't be too celebratory, the court probably feels it had no choice. In cases against farang, judges err on the Thai side unless it is airtight. They look for reasons to acquit or be lenient rather than the other way around. Given the gunman's alleged connections, I expect he will be out in under 5 years, same with the wife and the other one.

Cynical? Possibly. Seen it all before. The Thai has a short span of attention and no moral compass. Wait until the dust has settled from the 9-day wonder then mais pen rais, jails are horrible, they've learned their lesson and it was only a farang after all, best let them out now, they're sorry and they are brother/sister Thais after all and here's a few hundred thousand for your trouble.

Sorry for the cold water.

I doubt this is over. A year or two, wait until the dust settles and the fix will be in. An intended quiet release when it is all quiet again is the only way the absence of a death sentence on the gunman makes any sense.

Don't be too celebratory, the court probably feels it had no choice. In cases against farang, judges err on the Thai side unless it is airtight. They look for reasons to acquit or be lenient rather than the other way around. Given the gunman's alleged connections, I expect he will be out in under 5 years, same with the wife and the other one.

Cynical? Possibly. Seen it all before. The Thai has a short span of attention and no moral compass. Wait until the dust has settled from the 9-day wonder then mais pen rais, jails are horrible, they've learned their lesson and it was only a farang after all, best let them out now, they're sorry and they are brother/sister Thais after all and here's a few hundred thousand for your trouble.

Sorry for the cold water.

Unfortunately, I completely agree. :)

Hi,

I also would like to say congratulations to Mary-Jane and Richard. It would appear that all your hard work has paid off. Well done.

Just one thing worries me. Does anyone know what life in prison in Thailand means, as in does it really mean life, or is it for a fixed period? I am sure for example in the UK. Life is 15years.

Once again well done you are both STARS.

jb1

Will they possibly get the death sentence or is murder, equally shared, not as heinous as say dispensing dope?

The norm here is if a death sentence is given it is commuted to life if they plead guilty. Same for jail charges where it is cut in half if pleading guilty.

//edit - just remembered that I believe it was due to not finding the weapon that was the reason for a life sentence in this instance.