Where To Buy A Cheap Bicycle In Bangkok?

AskTheCPT

I'm looking to buy a bicycle to ride to and fro Lumpini park on the bike path which is only 2-3km I don't want to get a nice bike for fear a shiny object will be stolen...

What I'm looking for is something that would be comparable to the ones they sell at Target back in the States...

I was thinking Big C ... but does anyone know a good place to buy a new / used bike along Sukhumvit road?

I'm looking to buy a bicycle to ride to and fro Lumpini park on the bike path which is only 2-3km I don't want to get a nice bike for fear a shiny object will be stolen...

What I'm looking for is something that would be comparable to the ones they sell at Target back in the States...

I was thinking Big C ... but does anyone know a good place to buy a new / used bike along Sukhumvit road?

FYI, Sukumvit's a loooong road, all the way down to Trat, some 300+ km.

However, closer in, yes, Big C, TESCO-LOTUS, MAKRO, all carry about the same thing, bikes less than baht 1,500 in the 24 inch size. There's the LOTUS at Suk Soi 50, right at the SKYTRAIN, so you don't have to taxi or ride the new bike back home. CARREFOUR right around the corner on Ounut Road, Suk Soi 77. Althernatively, go to the end of Suk Soi 26 to Rama IV, CARREFOUR and LOTUS there.

FYI, saw a neat "mountain bike" this morning at LOTUS Klong 7, Thanyaburi, baht 8,200. Unfortunately, no mountains or hills anywheres near.

Mac

However, closer in, yes, Big C, TESCO-LOTUS, MAKRO, all carry about the same thing, bikes less than baht 1,500 in the 24 inch size. There's the LOTUS at Suk Soi 50, right at the SKYTRAIN, so you don't have to taxi or ride the new bike back home. CARREFOUR right around the corner on Ounut Road, Suk Soi 77. Althernatively, go to the end of Suk Soi 26 to Rama IV, CARREFOUR and LOTUS there.

FYI, saw a neat "mountain bike" this morning at LOTUS Klong 7, Thanyaburi, baht 8,200. Unfortunately, no mountains or hills anywheres near.

Mac

Okay, thanks very much, I live @ Soi 1 so I was thinking Big C by central world.... Do you know if there is a reputation for bikes getting stolen here? I came from where they get stolen all the time but in Japan I remember no bikes were stolen ever and they weren't even locked up...

Mac

Okay, thanks very much, I live @ Soi 1 so I was thinking Big C by central world.... Do you know if there is a reputation for bikes getting stolen here? I came from where they get stolen all the time but in Japan I remember no bikes were stolen ever and they weren't even locked up...

Are you kidding about bikes not being stolen in Japan? You don't have to worry about many things being stolen in Japan but bikes and umbrellas are both very frequently stolen. Often in Japan you will see police checking bike riders to show proof of bike ownership because of the problem with so many bikes being stolen.

Bicycles are not toys. Why are you even thinking about buying one from a supermarket toy department? Do supermarkets employ bicycle mechanics? How competent are the supermarket bicycle assemblers? The chap who assembled bicycles today was possibly sweeping the car park yesterday and may be slicing meat tomorrow! Do you really want to put your safety in his hands?

“thanyaburimac” says that you can buy 23” size bikes for 1500 Baht. That 24” is wheel size and not frame size and a whole bike for 1500 Baht – let’s put that into perspective, I’d find it difficult to find a pair of tyres for 1500Baht.

So, armed with your 1500 Baht, you decide to get one from a supermarket – is it the right size for you, are the front forks on the proper way round (You’ll be surprised of the number of bikes with backward forks there are!), gears and brakes properly adjusted, spokes properly tensioned and wheels running true?

So why are supermarket bikes so cheap? Bulk buying does pay a small part in the price but the main saving is in cheap materials & poorly made and copy parts. I have seen supermarket bikes fitted with Shinamo and other variants of Shimano!

Go to a local bike shop, makes friends with the owner and the mechanics and they will give you good advice. It will cost you more than 1500 Baht but will be money well spent. Have you seen the price of used cars here in Thailand? Compared to comparative models in the UK, they are sky high – the same applies to used bikes. I reluctantly sold one of my Treks a few months ago, three years old, over 3000 enjoyable kilometres on the clock and sold for 80% of what I bought it for.

Bicycles are not toys. Why are you even thinking about buying one from a supermarket toy department? Do supermarkets employ bicycle mechanics? How competent are the supermarket bicycle assemblers? The chap who assembled bicycles today was possibly sweeping the car park yesterday and may be slicing meat tomorrow! Do you really want to put your safety in his hands?

"thanyaburimac" says that you can buy 23" size bikes for 1500 Baht. That 24" is wheel size and not frame size and a whole bike for 1500 Baht – let's put that into perspective, I'd find it difficult to find a pair of tyres for 1500Baht.

So, armed with your 1500 Baht, you decide to get one from a supermarket – is it the right size for you, are the front forks on the proper way round (You'll be surprised of the number of bikes with backward forks there are!), gears and brakes properly adjusted, spokes properly tensioned and wheels running true?

So why are supermarket bikes so cheap? Bulk buying does pay a small part in the price but the main saving is in cheap materials & poorly made and copy parts. I have seen supermarket bikes fitted with Shinamo and other variants of Shimano!

Go to a local bike shop, makes friends with the owner and the mechanics and they will give you good advice. It will cost you more than 1500 Baht but will be money well spent. Have you seen the price of used cars here in Thailand? Compared to comparative models in the UK, they are sky high – the same applies to used bikes. I reluctantly sold one of my Treks a few months ago, three years old, over 3000 enjoyable kilometres on the clock and sold for 80% of what I bought it for.

dam_n right! Safety 1st.

Those pieces of junk from the supermarket will not last longer than a few month at best.

I can recommend the bike department at Super Sports in Seri Center.

Vast selection of bikes and mechanics who really know what they are doing.

And ......lots of promotions.

Bought my Giant bike there with a nice discount.

They will do the maintenance as well.

Check it out.

“thanyaburimac” says that you can buy 23” size bikes for 1500 Baht. That 24” is wheel size and not frame size and a whole bike for 1500 Baht – let’s put that into perspective, I’d find it difficult to find a pair of tyres for 1500Baht.

So, armed with your 1500 Baht, you decide to get one from a supermarket – is it the right size for you, are the front forks on the proper way round (You’ll be surprised of the number of bikes with backward forks there are!), gears and brakes properly adjusted, spokes properly tensioned and wheels running true?

The OP only wants to ride around a tarmac track for a few weeks until he's bored of it...he doesn't want to go downhill racing.

It would be interesting to find out how old the OP because anyone over the age of 30 should have enough knowledge on what is right for a bike all learnt from the school of street riding and when stripping bikes down and fixing them was part of been a kid.

Both my nephews cannot fix puntures on their bikes! i was shocked when my mom told me, in her own words she used to "brain you(me)" for using her best spoons as tyre levers when i was a kid!

Mac

Ah, loverly Sukumvit Soi 1, I rented a townhouse there for four years sometime back, just before the Golden Palace Hotel, but on a sub-soi to the right. Also stayed at the GP once for four months, handy place.

Re the bike, I/we have bought several of he baht 1,200 up bikes over the years, just call them the "mooban" special, riding up and down the soi for shopping runs. They seem to last pretty well, but, yes, they're not for long hauls. Reckon Lumpini would be reasonable enough, and if it's stolen, not a big problem, certainly not as much a hurt as losing a baht 10,000 bike.

Mac

• 4 weeks later...
I have a six speed LA mountain bike that I'm looking at selling. Shimano 6 speed hand change gears. Drum brakes suspension. A nice looking bike. I bought it 6 months ago and have hardly used it (yep i'm lazy) Yours for 3k. Pm if interested. The bike is on suk soi 60.

Hi,

Is your bike still available? I am interested in buying it. If so, please email me at [email protected] and please give me a phone number to contact you. Thanks..............

• 9 months later...

"thanyaburimac" says that you can buy 23" size bikes for 1500 Baht. That 24" is wheel size and not frame size and a whole bike for 1500 Baht – let's put that into perspective, I'd find it difficult to find a pair of tyres for 1500Baht.

So, armed with your 1500 Baht, you decide to get one from a supermarket – is it the right size for you, are the front forks on the proper way round (You'll be surprised of the number of bikes with backward forks there are!), gears and brakes properly adjusted, spokes properly tensioned and wheels running true?

He didn't say that he want to become a professional, he just want a bike to ride few kilometers, so i guess that any cheap bike from a supermarket is enough to ride on roads and sidewalks !

And how much would cost in US or Europe a bike that is sold 1500 thb in Thailand ? A lot more of course, and people would buy them and enjoy riding anyway.

bye.

I'd go second-hand and get something more durable than the Big C ones; I am the local 'cycle mechanic' these days, Surprised myself with how much I know/can do.

So many of the local kids bikes are rubbish - first things to go are often the pedals which simply break off the steel shaft, the brakes are virtually impossible to keep in adjustment without weekly maintenance (cheap inner cables, garbage brake pads) these kids ride about 8km return to school each day so maybe 40-50k per week.

Everything is simply low quality - tyres that need reinflating once a week - I check several bikes over each Sunday and there is always something. Seats are often just a 'press-fit' on the stem and soon come loose/swivel left and right -I can't fix that without drilling and putting a rivet in. Plastic fittings that should be aluminium . . .

I have a six speed LA mountain bike that I'm looking at selling. Shimano 6 speed hand change gears. Drum brakes suspension. A nice looking bike. I bought it 6 months ago and have hardly used it (yep i'm lazy) Yours for 3k. Pm if interested. The bike is on suk soi 60.

if you really wish to sell perhaps a pic that doesn't show the rusted chain, bolts and front hub would serve your purpose better.