The Export Shop

fivevenoms

After a rather long time in putting it off, it's finally time to make the trip to BKK to visit the huge network of Thai in-laws curiously awaiting my arrival (and their much-belated daughter, too, I'm sure), and the typical array of food and sights is being thought out for me as we speak. However, the one thing I've been told I MUST do is shop.

Now, in my perusal of goods in the US, my wife has informed me that there's a fairly good chance that some of the more expensive goods I've seen here that are "Made in Thailand" are possibly available at hugely reduced prices in Thailand at something called the "Export Shop". I assumed that they were either "leaked" into the Thai market or were factory run-overs or some such. Perusing the forums and the internet, I couldn't find anything much mentioning it. So, I would like to ask the more worldly denizens of Thailand if any of you knew of such a phenomenon? Thanks.

That's precisely what I wanted to know. Assuming I've done my homework enough to tell the difference between all of the above, I should be good to go.

And on top of that, I can let my sister-in-law do all of my bargaining for me, so I don't inadvertently piss anyone off.

I have bought some good things there, but some of the items have defects you don't notice until you get it home. And some of them have such outrageous defects that you wonder how they found the gall to offer them for sale. Be sure to either try on or measure items because the marked sizes are often very wrong.

Actually, it was a particular brand of luggage I was looking for-here in the US it's horribly pricey stuff, but every last stitch of it is "made in Thailand" so I assumed it would pop up somewhere for sale, and my aforementioned sister-in-law thought they'd probably have it at "The Export Shop". Unless one of you could think of a similar venue for such things....

Its easy to find good quality, cheap luggage in Bangkok - its everywhere! I wouldn't worry about going to an Export Shop for it.

Yeah just get yourself down to the local market and set yourself up with Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Prada, Hello Kitty (Err if you like that kind of stuff :o ) whatever you like for about the same price as piece of crap luggage would cost you in the States!

Actually, it was a particular brand of luggage I was looking for-here in the US it's horribly pricey stuff, but every last stitch of it is "made in Thailand" so I assumed it would pop up somewhere for sale, and my aforementioned sister-in-law thought they'd probably have it at "The Export Shop".  Unless one of you could think of a similar venue for such things....

If you said the brand - we could probably suggest specific stores...

Curses! Forced to show my hand....

Actually, it's called Tumi, and here it tends to run into the hundreds of dollars. But, I was rather fond of the design and quality so was pondering getting some, even though it would be a mildly stupid investment since I don't particularly have the means to blow hundreds of bucks on luggage. Upon viewing it, my wife seemed mildly interested until she noticed it was "Made in Thailand", and told me that the price (quality?) was therefore ridiculous. Which is when my sister-in-law mentioned "The Export Shop" for goods made in Thailand at slightly more conventional prices. So I guess I'll bite. Any erm......."luggage enthusiasts" seen this Tumi stuff floating around LOS anywhere?

Yeah, my sister-in-law really only mentioned getting clothes there, but they mentioned it when I asked about the luggage. If it's only clothing then I'll won't bother looking, so that's that then.

But, out of curiosity, why so adamant about finding the Tumi there? From experience, or something else? Not that I don't believe you, I was just curious-Since the vast majority of it is "Made in Thailand", I thought I may have a chance of finding it somewhere for cheaper....

Tumi have a shop in Gaysorn Plaza.

But Gaysorn's not a place that's known for being cheap.

From their website, you can also find them here...

Central Department Store

Chidlom Branch, Third Floor

Emporium Department Store

Isetan Department Store

3rd Floor

4/1-4/2 Central World Plaza

King Power Duty Free Co., Ltd.

Bangkok International Airport, Terminal 1

King Power International Co., Ltd.

World Trade Center

Since Gaysorn is opposite WTC, and WTC and Central World Plaza are the same building - you could try each of those and see if any will give a discount... (remember the tax reclaim forms too).

Edited by bkk_mike

All my Tumi luggage and briefcases are made in the USA, not Thailand.

I bought a lot of it at Singapores Changi airport which is about the cheapest I have ever seen it, but its never really cheap. I hate the cheaper coloured Tumi stuff that you always find in US 'outlet malls' - for me there is only one kind of Tumi and its black either the leather or my fave is the ballistic nylon material. After 10 years of non stop travelling, the luggage is in perfect condition and never had any problems with it.

Only place I have seen decent selection in BKK is at Gaysorn Plaza and its considerably more expensive than buying the same piece in either Singapore or USA.

Well nuts on that, then. Still couldn't hurt to look. Maybe they've moved things abroad since you bought your luggage 10 years ago, since I've got a Tumi bag (made in Thailand) and was interested in some of that snazzy ballistic nylon luggage (checked it at the store: Made in Thailand), so my guess is they set up shop elsewhere. You know how expensive that American labor is.......

So maybe I should just give it up and go look for something else to buy in Thailand....

I hear I can get a great deal on some suits made in "Only 24 hours!!!" I'm sure the tuktuk drivers can recommend a place...... :o