Golf In Chaing Mai

OOB

My understanding is that the current low prices are a short time promotion and then it is back to rates as usual. There is no way that they can afford to maintain the course at the current rates and no perhaps no surprise that all the courses decided to have the same promotion at the same time.

Just not the Thai way to reduce prices when times are bad, and in fact the normal practice is quite the opposite. Expect high prices in high season

Current prices end when the low season ends. From november i would expect all courses to revert to their overly high prices. Kudos for the deals we have got this year, pity no kinds of deals or sports days exist during the high season for locals and local residents.

Good thread OOB. Interesting to hear about the two gassan courses. Khun Tan is like a disneyland of golf! Very nice course. I wonder what condition these gassan courses are in, because their driving range is pretty much neglected.

It's my biggest beef about golf in chiang mai, so i think i'll reiterate it again, and in a post all on its own!

Why can't the courses get together and work out how to offer a sports day to locals and residents during high season?

Frequently i play during high season (weekdays) and the courses in the last two years have not been really that busy. So there'd be plenty of room for us locals to play on the sports day. Many courses in bkk do this, why not up here????

Overall : 3/5 - A good golf course, with few players. The thing that lets them down is the cost of a beer after the game. 235 Baht, incl. service and tax, for a large Singha and a Sprite mixer - ridiculous, given that there is no-one there...

This course used to be the Chiang Mai-Lamphun course run by a great thai chap. It was a real jewel of a course, and members could play there for very very reasonable rates.

Then the chap, understandably after working a lifetime, sold up.

It is now the Alpine, and oozes rich bangkok mentality. It is thaksin's money!

Perhaps almost the most expensive beer in thailand, certainly in the whole of the north, virtually no golfers, and no thoughts at all of reducing their extortionate prices. They totally lie about their hole yardages on their website too. They have butchered at least half of all the trees that used to line the fairways and make low-handicap golfers complain heavily!! We went back in june with the offer to see how the course had turned out. I liked a few of the holes, but to be honest it is so corporatised, so formal, so stuck-up. They have ruined a real one-off golf course where we used to pay 400 baht green fee, or 300 baht after 1pm, and every ten rounds played gave us a free round.

It was almost worth bawling our eyes out when the course was sold!

It's my biggest beef about golf in chiang mai, so i think i'll reiterate it again, and in a post all on its own!

Why can't the courses get together and work out how to offer a sports day to locals and residents during high season?

Frequently i play during high season (weekdays) and the courses in the last two years have not been really that busy. So there'd be plenty of room for us locals to play on the sports day. Many courses in bkk do this, why not up here????

I've been a member of Pattaya Sports Club on and off for over twelve years. They are (or at least started as) a group of individuals that negotiated discounts with all/most of the local courses. Discounts varied, but it was not unusual to get 20-30% off at all times of the year.

I was originally surprised that the expat golf groups up here have not (or have been unable to) negotiate such discounts across the board. The main difference, I have since learned, is that the groups up here are very much centered around one or two courses rather than having a 'home' bar or clubhouse as is the case in Pattaya (PSG used to be based at Cafe Kronberg but now has it's own clubhouse).

I bought an Open Fairways membership before leaving the UK... It is significantly cheaper buying it from http://www.golftoday.co.uk than it is buying here in Asia (same worldwide benefits). That said, I have not used it yet as the local deals are far more attractive. Will see whether this is still the case in a couple of months...

Maybe I missed it, but has anyone mentioned Gymkhana, the nine-hole course in town? It is a really fun course to play. The place must be run by tree-huggers, but that makes it all the more fun. Gymkhanna is ridiculously cheap and handy to reach. The ambiance is 5/5, but the management of the course is rather 1-2/5. That seems about to change. One hopes so! Anyway, it is just fun to play!

Gymkhanna is the closest thing to a personal and private course in Chiang Mai.

Otherwise, I'd say the ratings given above are quite good on the various courses.

Edited by Mapguy

Overall : 3/5 - A good golf course, with few players. The thing that lets them down is the cost of a beer after the game. 235 Baht, incl. service and tax, for a large Singha and a Sprite mixer - ridiculous, given that there is no-one there...

This course used to be the Chiang Mai-Lamphun course run by a great thai chap. It was a real jewel of a course, and members could play there for very very reasonable rates.

Then the chap, understandably after working a lifetime, sold up.

It is now the Alpine, and oozes rich bangkok mentality. It is thaksin's money!

Perhaps almost the most expensive beer in thailand, certainly in the whole of the north, virtually no golfers, and no thoughts at all of reducing their extortionate prices. They totally lie about their hole yardages on their website too. They have butchered at least half of all the trees that used to line the fairways and make low-handicap golfers complain heavily!! We went back in june with the offer to see how the course had turned out. I liked a few of the holes, but to be honest it is so corporatised, so formal, so stuck-up. They have ruined a real one-off golf course where we used to pay 400 baht green fee, or 300 baht after 1pm, and every ten rounds played gave us a free round.

It was almost worth bawling our eyes out when the course was sold!

Have stayed there a number of times when it was called the Northern Heritage and agree beautiful place /courses but Beer in the Hotel Bar/reception area (next to the Waterfall) was always reasonable....well I though so. :D

Unfortunately it was never very busy apart from the odd bus load of Japanase Convention tourists.

Whats the score with the hotel...is it...or isnt it still??? :)

Regarding discounts, I think its all to do with numbers. Comparing golf in CNX to Pattaya is not really fair. Using handicap lists to approximately gauge numbers, 1600 people maintain a handicap with PSC, 1400 people with IPGC and 34 with the Royalleague Chiang Mai.

The last time I was in CNX the Royal league had negotiated a good discount at Highland.

Perhaps a Chiang Mai golfer could comment if attempts at discounts were tried at other courses.

Regarding discounts, I think its all to do with numbers. Comparing golf in CNX to Pattaya is not really fair. Using handicap lists to approximately gauge numbers, 1600 people maintain a handicap with PSC, 1400 people with IPGC and 34 with the Royalleague Chiang Mai.

The last time I was in CNX the Royal league had negotiated a good discount at Highland.

Perhaps a Chiang Mai golfer could comment if attempts at discounts were tried at other courses.

That's true Toose - but when PSC started it was no bigger than the Royal League or the Chiang Mai Social golfers are today (I'd guess it was actually much smaller than the two combined).

Royal League has a good discount at Highlands as you say (either guest rate or promotional rate, whichever is lowest) but my point remains - the CM based groups are centered on specific courses and are not agnostic as PSC are.

I am not complaining (I have joined both the CM groups as well as the PSC) nor do I underestimate the effort required to start up, negotiate with the clubs and then maintain a PSC equivalent here. I'm just pointing out the slight, but significant difference in the structure of the clubs/societies.

Over the past few years the Royal League has negotiated with GV & Royal without much success. When times were good here, 2+ years ago, it was difficult for the RL to secure a good price and regular time with the mgrs of the above courses because of the many tour groups coming through.

Highlands owner came through for the group with a great price, secured t times, and always good service. We supported him, in low season, and he came thru for us.

To the poster concerning Ghymkhana. IMHO unless you are a member there the green fee for 18 is way to high for the condition of the course, green conditions, and overall maintenance.

I dropped my membership there recently. For years there has been talk of improvements, i.e. partnership with a hotel, etc, but to no avail.

I'm happy to see Highland rated so well, wife owns land just down the road from it, now I need to make a push to build.

Great setup./location......we are just roon the corner..... :) on the edge of MPK National park...

That's true Toose - but when PSC started it was no bigger than the Royal League or the Chiang Mai Social golfers are today (I'd guess it was actually much smaller than the two combined).

Royal League has a good discount at Highlands as you say (either guest rate or promotional rate, whichever is lowest) but my point remains - the CM based groups are centered on specific courses and are not agnostic as PSC are.

I am not complaining (I have joined both the CM groups as well as the PSC) nor do I underestimate the effort required to start up, negotiate with the clubs and then maintain a PSC equivalent here. I'm just pointing out the slight, but significant difference in the structure of the clubs/societies.

Agree 100% on your comments. I remember PSC meeting at Caesar's Bar ( the original PSC bar) with 4 mini vans and 2 baht buses to ferry golfers and clubs. Around 40 people. The next most pressing problem that arose, was where to play after Laem Chabang and Keow Keow opened. The Siam boys and the Phutaluang boys were not happy if their course was not selected by a vote of a show of hands (BangPra was closed due to reconstruction). Bitching and moaning if they did not get to play their course. That started the split. Now there are around 15 splinter groups but still affilialted to PSC. That was 20 years ago.

Can you see in the next 20 years there being 200 golfers in CNX? I hope so.

Sorry way off topic. My point is that it all comes down to numbers. There is a golf course in Thailand with a walk in rate of 1500 baht. Bring 200 golfers per day, every day for three months and it is yours for 200 baht per person green fee.

Agree 100% on your comments. I remember PSC meeting at Caesar's Bar ( the original PSC bar) with 4 mini vans and 2 baht buses to ferry golfers and clubs. Around 40 people. The next most pressing problem that arose, was where to play after Laem Chabang and Keow Keow opened. The Siam boys and the Phutaluang boys were not happy if their course was not selected by a vote of a show of hands (BangPra was closed due to reconstruction). Bitching and moaning if they did not get to play their course. That started the split. Now there are around 15 splinter groups but still affilialted to PSC. That was 20 years ago.

Sorry way off topic. My point is that it all comes down to numbers. There is a golf course in Thailand with a walk in rate of 1500 baht. Bring 200 golfers per day, every day for three months and it is yours for 200 baht per person green fee.

'Bitching' and 'splinter groups' are certainly issues that may arise. BUT, Open Fairways has negotiated discounts with a number of the courses (weekday green fees below - they don't look great now, but may do in High Season), so I don't see why a local based group could not do the same or better.

Alpine Golf Resort - Chiangmai 1,200 Chiang Mai Highland Golf & Spa Resort 1800 Gassan Khuntan Golf & Resort 1750 Gassan Lake City Golf & Resort 1260 Gassan Marina Golf Club 1400 Mae Jo Golf Club 1300 Santiburi Changrai Country Club 1280 Summit Green Valley Chiangmai Country Club 1440 Waterford Valley Chiangrai 1000

'Bitching' and 'splinter groups' are certainly issues that may arise. BUT, Open Fairways has negotiated discounts with a number of the courses (weekday green fees below - they don't look great now, but may do in High Season), so I don't see why a local based group could not do the same or better.

Alpine Golf Resort - Chiangmai 1,200 Chiang Mai Highland Golf & Spa Resort 1800 Gassan Khuntan Golf & Resort 1750 Gassan Lake City Golf & Resort 1260 Gassan Marina Golf Club 1400 Mae Jo Golf Club 1300 Santiburi Changrai Country Club 1280 Summit Green Valley Chiangmai Country Club 1440 Waterford Valley Chiangrai 1000

Interesting to hear about Open Fairways as I have personaly not came across them. Will look on the internet later. In your experience can they match or better, what can be got locally in the high season? As you so rightly said,it does not look good now but in the high season who knows. The problem is that after the airport blockade the Koreans who make up the majority of high season golfers ie. filling the courses, discovered other fairways, particularly New Zealand.(why I have no idea. Cheap green fees no way, but no caddy costs) My prediction is that this year you will be able to walk on to any golf course in Thailand.

Am I being negative, I hope not, as my wife does inbound golf tours.

I will give my advice. Open a website called for example, ChiangMaiGolfConditions, or something similar. Carry on with your reports and keep your site up to date, that is most important!

If you post your reports on Thai visa you will get all the people who disagree with you, bad mouthing your reports.

Have to go now to reply to some guy who thought the greens at Rayong Green Valley were unplayable the day after the Thai Junior Open. See, you can't please everyone.

Not the real thing, but took the kids to Inter Mini Golf yesterday. Nobody there, reasonable price and all round good fun. The 7th (I think) is a 20 yard 'bash' over rough into a fenced off 'green' resembling an athletics discus/shot putt circle. Great fun!

No new courses lined up yet this week (back to Highlands twice and Mae Jo) so may not update again until the week after.

• 3 weeks later...
Alpine Golf Resort

Monday 7th September - 1,050 Bht incl. caddy

Newly renovated course with wide fairways but plenty of water. Paid 1,050 as a members guest.

· Course : 3/5 - A good course but the green are new and still very firm, meaning holding the green is tough.

· Facilities : 3/5 - Good clubhouse, but the cost of beer and food is overly expensive.

· Condition : 4/5 - The course and clubhouse are in excellent condition.

· Speed of play : 4/5 - The course is virtually empty and thus speed is not a problem. We did not encounter any other groups, despite playing as a two ball.

· Value for money : 3/5 - The green fee, as a guest is perfectly acceptable, but the cost of a beer is ridiculous.

· Overall : 3/5 - A good golf course, with few players. The thing that lets them down is the cost of a beer after the game. 235 Baht, incl. service and tax, for a large Singha and a Sprite mixer - ridiculous, given that there is no-one there...

Good info OOB!

We were 3 guys from Chiang Rai that played Alpine and Highlands Friday-´Saturday. First time I played Alpine and it is a very, very good golfcourse. I played Chiangmai-Lamphun a couple of times years ago and I could not recognize anything.

But I must comment on the "ridiculous" cost of beer, I had a beer on the course and paid 70 baht for a small Singha. But that was not in the restaurant.

Keep up the good work OOB!

:D:):D

• 2 weeks later...

For those that were interested in memberships, I finally plumped for Highlands. 10 years is currently offered at 200k (+ 9k per year subs). Play there three times a week and it works out at less than 200 Baht a round. It's also transferable (at a cost).

I probably won't update this any more, but those with an interest in local golf please feel free to PM me.

Good golfing, OOB.