Got Tourist Visa In Penang Monday

I had plane ticket booked July 21 and learned from this forum on July 24 that tourist visas were not being issued to those with a few in passport this year. Rather than scrap my ticket and head to Laos, I went forward with planned trip anyway. I was pleasantly surprised to be issued a 60 day tourist visa w/o a hassle. I used an agent. In my passport is a single Non-O from Jan 2009 and 2 single touists as well as a 30 day ext. All visas issued in 2009 and in Penang

From all previous reports they have either loosened up or you got lucky. The 30 day extension from most reports is the thing that causes most denials.

I know someone who was refused earlier this month with only one tourist visa and extension in his passport.

What's going on here?

Penang has a long history of running hot and cold - often when senior official is replaced or absent. That Consulate policy seem to change more often than the weather. Which is probably a good indication of why visa agents are so common there.

Congratulations! :)

Has anyone else had the same luck lately?

My husband will make a visarun in a few weeks and i dont know if he should try his luck in Penang of go to Vientiane. He already has two tourist visas and one extention because he had an accident and was in hospital.

take care.

/comehome

Congratulations! :)

Has anyone else had the same luck lately?

My husband will make a visarun in a few weeks and i dont know if he should try his luck in Penang of go to Vientiane. He already has two tourist visas and one extention because he had an accident and was in hospital.

take care.

/comehome

I have some questions for you. Why is your husband getting tourist visas? What is your current visa status? Did you ever get your Thai nationality problem sorted out?

He probably could be getting non immigrant O visas to visit you. Even a multiple entry may be possible,

If he has to get a tourist visa I would not risk going there with his visa history.

Edited by ubonjoe

I used the agent at my hotel. this same agent had told me 3-4 weeks earlier that I had zero chance of getting a tourist visa. He seemed pretty confident I'd get it on monday though when I gave him my passport. I was expecting rejection for sure with that extension in there. That day, monday Aug 24, while my passport was at consulate, I stopped by my old agent on Chulia Street (NJ Books) and he told me it was a sure rejection with the extension in there. I went back to the hotel pretty dispondent but much to my surprise there was the shiny visa in passport. Who knows how or why especially when the main chulia guy said no way

I most certainly won't be going back to Penang until there's some confirmation that all is well.

Edited by My Friend Same

Penang has a long history of running hot and cold - often when senior official is replaced or absent. That Consulate policy seem to change more often than the weather. Which is probably a good indication of why visa agents are so common there.

Yes, Penang is difficult at times. I have no intention of returning there. An agent is definitely the best option.

On one occasion, when they gave me a single entry visa, they gave me three different explanations, as to why my request for a multiple entry was refused. Basically, they made a mistake, but would not admit it.

Ubonjoe:

Thanks for asking.

No i have not got my thai citizenship back yet. Have non imm O visa at the moment.

That is why my husband is having the touristvisa.

Our baby is born here but since i dont have thai citizenship, neither does she.

Then he can not get visa for supporting a thai child either.

It is a bit tricky but we'll manage. :)

I have not been very lucky with the district office in Bkk where i am born.

I found my "mother" but she is obviously not my true mom and she wont tell me anything about my real family.

But i believe everything has its own time in life and i guess i am to learn something from this as well.

Sorry for the OT.

Moderators, please feel free to edit my post.

Take care now!

/comehome