Fishing In Chaopraya River

Livinginexile

Hi all

I catch the ferry every morning and afternoon across the river at Saphon Taksin BTS.

Every day I see schools of big fish breaching the surface right out in front of the Shangrala Hotel.

Lots of smaller bait fish constantly jumping out the water too.

I don't know what fish they are but they are big, some of them are at least 1 metre in length!

I never see anyone fishing this river and was just wondering if anyone else has noticed these fish.

The river seems a lot cleaner these days, no smell at all actually.

Has anyone had a go at fishing the Chaopraya River?

Edited by Livinginexile

Hi all

I catch the ferry every morning and afternoon across the river at Saphon Taksin BTS.

Every day I see schools of big fish breaching the surface right out in front of the Shangrala Hotel.

I don't know what fish they are but they are big, some of them are at least 1 metre in length!

I never see anyone fishing this river and was just wondering if anyone else has noticed these fish.

Fishing in the Chaopraya River - what a concept! Would kind be like those little suprise crackers / snappy things you open on New years - never know what you get inside.

If i had to guess, would suspect you would need something other than minnows for bate - guessing those big fish are used to munching on something a bit more meaty - tied to a piece of concrete?

Perhaps they have a taste for garbage so I were you mate, I would get a big plastic bag of it and attach that to your rod for best success. Not sure if the white ones from your local 7 would work better than the black ones from home.

Hi all

Fishing in the Chaopraya River - what a concept! Would kind be like those little suprise crackers / snappy things you open on New years - never know what you get inside.

If i had to guess, would suspect you would need something other than minnows for bate - guessing those big fish are used to munching on something a bit more meaty - tied to a piece of concrete?

Perhaps they have a taste for garbage so I were you mate, I would get a big plastic bag of it and attach that to your rod for best success. Not sure if the white ones from your local 7 would work better than the black ones from home.

James....

You’re a cynical old so-and-so :)

"Catch and release" would be the way to go, never eat anything from there.

But truth be known, any fresh water fish we eat in Thailand probably comes from a similar enviroment.

Do you fish James?

Hi all

James....

You’re a cynical old so-and-so :D

"Catch and release" would be the way to go, never eat anything from there.

But truth be known, any fresh water fish we eat in Thailand probably comes from a similar enviroment.

Do you fish James?

Don't fish anymore mate, but have been accused of trolling once in a while. :)

Most of the fish species in the big rivers are herbivoirs... meaning they feed on plant life. Most are caught on some sort of dough bait. There are carp, catfish and a variety of breem species. Monks often have docks where they feed the fish commercial pellets. And, they sell small packages for tourists to feed the fish. In areas where fish are being fed regularly they congregate in huge numbers... as one of the photos above shows.