Thailand Prepares 5,000-strong Force

churchill

BANGKOK: The Thai government said on Friday it will mobilise a 5,000-strong force this weekend as it invokes a harsh internal security law to prevent a mass rally of "Red Shirts" escalating into riots.

Thousands of demonstrators loyal to fugitive former premier Thaksin Shinawatra are expected to gather on Sunday at the Royal Plaza in the heart of Bangkok, despite the government order banning them from certain areas.

They want current Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva to dissolve parliament and call snap elections. Thaksin was toppled in a coup in 2006 and his allies were driven from government in December.

"I will try to handle this matter orderly and peacefully" said deputy prime minister Suthep Thaugsuban, who is overseeing the security operation.

"It's time that we must be decisive," he added.

Suthep said the government would mobilise a combined force of 5,550 military troops, police and civilians, in an attempt to "preserve national security".

Nearly 2,000 police will be deployed to guard the Government House complex – home to the cabinet and prime minister's offices – from which the protesters are banned.

Thailand wants to prevent a repeat of the chaos in April when thousands of Red Shirts occupied Government House and then went on a rampage through the capital, before caving in to threats of a military crackdown.

"This time we have to be well prepared not to allow them to burn down our country again," Suthep said.

Supporters of the ousted Thaksin last week massed at a parade ground in Bangkok to hand in a three-million-name petition seeking a royal pardon for their icon.

Billionaire Thaksin, who still enjoys huge support among Thailand's rural poor in particular, was toppled three years ago following protests by the rival, royalist "Yellow Shirt" movement.

Last year, he fled the country to avoid a two-year jail term for corruption.

The Yellow Shirts themselves occupied Government House a year ago to oppose the then-government, which was led by Thaksin's allies, leading to violent clashes with police.

That government collapsed in December after the Yellow Shirts blockaded Bangkok's main airports, bringing Abhisit to power and angering supporters of exiled Thaksin.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp...1001448/1/.html

Seems more serious this time. All credit to the government for trying to basic enforce law & order. Although I am confused over what is meant by a "combined force of 5,550 military troops, police and civilians". Blue shirts?

"This time we have to be well prepared not to allow them to burn down our country again," Suthep said. "

Enlighten me please?

Typical Thai reaction, more likely to inflame than douse, the use of "civilians" seems a particularly strange way of peacekeeping.

all it takes is a few agent provocateurs , and the government/military will have the pretext for a violent/aggressive suppression of the protesters.

its also likely the government/military will give orders for the media to suppress information and present a one sided view (like what they did in songkran) under the pathetic guise of "national security."

Suthep said the government would mobilise a combined force of 5,550 military troops, police and civilians, in an attempt to "preserve national security".

I seem to recall a time when troops, police and civilians tried to preserve national security and a load of innocent students, err, sorry, "communists" were killed.

Hello, the group of people with the most guns will rule and dictate the rules. I hope no one is hurt or killed there, and I will not be going any where near this meeting as I am farang and do not want to be in harm's way.

It looks more like they are trying to start trouble than prevent it. :)

Lemme check, where does it start?

The chicken?

The egg?

Checking """"""""

Checking ...........

Checking ,,,,,,,,,,

The Square Head!

He will have to keep stirring up trouble with the aim in

toppling the government and install another proxy regimen,

to have his return secured and in turn wrestle his billions back!

It's all what it is all about.... nothin' else matters!

It's the only way he will get it HIS way... maybe there will be some real nasty

things happen... we'll see!

PRO-THAKSIN RALLY

Sunday mass rally deferred

Red shirted protesters announced Saturday they decided to postpone their mass rally planned for Sunday, citing the government's imposing of internal security laws.

Their leaders said they are not allowed to gather under the internal security laws imposed in Dusit district from Saturday to Monday.

They said they plan to defer the rally to September 5.

They would again postpone their rally if the government enforce the Internal Security Act for their Sept 5 rally.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation

Sounds to me like they realized they couldn't trigger their obviously hoped for violent revolution with the security measures in effect. This isn't about a peaceful rally, its about a violent revolution to reinstall the dear leader, Thaksin. They are regrouping, they have obviously not gone away. For the time being, another victory for the Abhisit government. Each day the reds don't accomplish their insurgency, the more remote their chances of EVER succeeding.