Anything Else You Are Looking For In A Mexican Restaurant?

Monita

Mexican Restaurant poll  

123 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So hopefully you spent alot of time in the states and know what cali-mex food should taste like judging by your facebook account. How long were you there?

I have a Thai-American friend that moved to Texas when he was 2 years old, and he is a total redneck, but makes the best dam_n fajitas, burritos and enchiladas I've had.

I keep telling him to open a restaurant here but he's a broke bastard.

Hurry up Monita, I'm getting hungry reading all this... :)

Don't forget the Corona. Sunrise did a buy 2 get 1 free prommotion which made me very happy; stayed longer and ate more. My Thai colleagues all drank Margaritas for some strange reason?

I agree with the 'plenty of beef' comments, and good quality too, at a higher price if need by. Remember, quality is key if you're gonna be the number 1 Mexican in Bangkok and bring in the crowds.

Good luck, I look forward to trying your food. :D

Hurry up Monita, I'm getting hungry reading all this... :)

Don't forget the Corona. Sunrise did a buy 2 get 1 free prommotion which made me very happy; stayed longer and ate more. My Thai colleagues all drank Margaritas for some strange reason?

I agree with the 'plenty of beef' comments, and good quality too, at a higher price if need by. Remember, quality is key if you're gonna be the number 1 Mexican in Bangkok and bring in the crowds.

Good luck, I look forward to trying your food. :D

The problem I see it that if you make a business plan based only on expat tastes, unless you are very high end, you may find yourself regretting it.

In other words, dumb down your food to local palates. Despite the fact that a few farang might moan about it not being black angus beef, the locals won't mind.

High Quality Ingredients = High cost = relatively low volume (small market)

Lower Quality Ingredients = lower cost = higher volume (larger market).

Perhaps a combination of both would satisfy the mexperts and those on local budgets.

I would pay for excellent mex food, but don't see myself spending 2000 baht on eating it more than once a month.

Good luck, will try it when it opens.

Edited by bkkjames

The problem I see it that if you make a business plan based only on expat tastes, unless you are very high end, you may find yourself regretting it.

In other words, dumb down your food to local palates.

At any Mexican restaurant in Thailand the overwhelming vast majority of customers will be foreigners and maybe some Thai people accompanying them. Any restaurant that can recreate what they serve in Mexico or the US southwest will be a success.

Really local palates will want Thai food. Mexican food hasn't creeped into Thai mainstream like their version of pizza. I imagine someday there will be Mexican chains specifically for Thai taste Mexican food. Business wise its probably a good long term risk to try to develop that, someday it will hit, but who knows when, next year or 30 years from now. In the current market the core customers for Mexican food are indeed non-Thai.

Edited by Jingthing

Really local palates will want Thai food. Mexican food hasn't creeped into Thai mainstream like their version of pizza. I imagine someday there will be Mexican chains specifically for Thai taste Mexican food. Business wise its probably a good long term risk to try to develop that, someday it will hit, but who knows when, next year or 30 years from now. In the current market the core customers for Mexican food are indeed non-Thai.

Said it before, but did not get any feedback, so will try again. There are two "Mexican" food items that might attract Thais:

1) Stuffed peppers (sort of like a stuffed poblano but made Thai style) and

2) Tamales w/ stuffing and sauce

I don't think this would be too hard to do........could do some taste testing beforehand with local Thais.

Agreed. At Pizza Company they're now offering chicken curry on top of rice. What that has to do with pizza or Italian food I don't know, but it will probably sell

Agreed. At Pizza Company they're now offering chicken curry on top of rice. What that has to do with pizza or Italian food I don't know, but it will probably sell

And when it hits the first one to cash in will make load of dosh. I would say there is local market for it but one of the problems is that it is not available. If you hit branch in each and every department store in bangkok and combine it with good marketing you soon will see more and more thais there. Not to mention making it "thai style" ala KFC Chicken laap kai which was actually quite good for KFC.

Many thais don't see the difference with mexican and indian food, both are considered as "not proper curry", as no one has told them and many actually like good mexican if someone convinces them to try it.

Said it before, but did not get any feedback, so will try again. There are two "Mexican" food items that might attract Thais:

I don't think this would be too hard to do........could do some taste testing beforehand with local Thais.

Thank you JR Texas : ) Will put them in our special of the day menu! Love the Tamales with sauce... Yummy!

Thank you JR Texas : ) Will put them in our special of the day menu! Love the Tamales with sauce... Yummy!

Thank you.......I can assure you, that at least with regard to stuffed Thai chiles, Thais love them. I use the biggest pale green Thai chiles I can find....roast them almost black over a fire......scrap outside a bit and remove the seeds........insert cheese........lightly dust them with flour.........did in nothing but whipped egg whites..........fry them in oil......drip a bit more egg white on top while cooking.........top with red sauce made with red and green Thai chiles, bit of garlic, chopped onion, celantro, and small amount of lime and crushed cumin (not too much cumin because Thais might think it smells strange). Just experiment--they do like the pepper, cheese, egg white combination. It is the only Mexican food item I have ever cooked that Thais actually like and want more of.

• 2 weeks later...

Finalizing the thought of our La Monita Taqueria, we are thinking to serve a taqueria style of food, like tacos, quesadillas, burritos and tortas, etc. for lunch time. For dinner, we will add some dinner dishes and beer food, something like, monkey wings, fajitas, enchiladas, shrimp/crab cheese dip, shrimp cocktail, pork/chicken cook in salsa roja and salsa verde, etc. Plus a special of a week/month dinner plates, tropical cocktails, beer and definately to-die-for sangria and margarita with great salsa music!!! All plates cook with good quality food and lots of TLC! I think it's our aim now... Let us know what you think... See you all very soon!!!

Many thais don't see the difference with mexican and indian food, both are considered as "not proper curry", as no one has told them and many actually like good mexican if someone convinces them to try it.

:)

I agree - if forced to eat non-Thai food my better half always chooses Mexican these days.

Thank you.......I can assure you, that at least with regard to stuffed Thai chiles, Thais love them. I use the biggest pale green Thai chiles I can find....roast them almost black over a fire......scrap outside a bit and remove the seeds........insert cheese........lightly dust them with flour.........did in nothing but whipped egg whites..........fry them in oil......drip a bit more egg white on top while cooking.........top with red sauce made with red and green Thai chiles, bit of garlic, chopped onion, celantro, and small amount of lime and crushed cumin (not too much cumin because Thais might think it smells strange). Just experiment--they do like the pepper, cheese, egg white combination. It is the only Mexican food item I have ever cooked that Thais actually like and want more of.

Yes, my wife and her sister really liked the chiles rellanos I made for them.

Some Thai curries are made with cumin seed (usually roasted) - so I dont imagine they would think it tastes "strange". Good news for you, if this is the case.

• 3 weeks later...

We've started our soft opening as of yesterday. Our specials for next week are Tamales filled with Pork in red (Chile Rojo) and green (Chile Verde) sauce, Arroz a la Cubana and Tacos de langua. We will be serving Carne Asada, Al Pastor, Carnitas, Pollo Asado Tacos and Burritos all week long. Be sure to try the Carne Asada Fries!

We are open for lunch and dinner from Monday through Saturday 11 am. to 11 pm. during our soft launch. You can find us on Google Maps just type "La Monita Taqueria Bangkok". If you want to make a reservation call 02 650 9581 seats are limited.

See you there!

Thank you everyone from Thaivisa who made a stop at our restaurant. : ) Let's us know how you feel about our food. Your comments are very important to us. If there is something else you would like to see on our menu, let us know.

Thank you everyone from Thaivisa who made a stop at our restaurant. : ) Let's us know how you feel about our food. Your comments are very important to us. If there is something else you would like to see on our menu, let us know.

I know this is a bit off topic, but I found a picture on the net of one of my favorite Mexican restaurants in San Antonio, Texas: Casa Rio.

I can't tell you how many times I have eaten there right by the river.........really nice experience.

The main point is the canal.........it shows what Bangkok could do with proper planning.

The entire city used to be criss-crossed by canals.........too bad the city planners don't have any imagination.

Can you imagine how lucrative such a design would be?

post-36006-1259970795_thumb.jpg

I've tried Casa Rio a few times. It's mainly a place that old white people frequent and is far and away from being the best Mexican or even best Tex-Mex restaurant in San Antonio. Bland yellow-cheese enchiladas, etc. Mi Tierra and La Fonda both serve better Tex-Mex, to name two places. My two pesos anyway.

I've tried Casa Rio a few times. It's mainly a place that old white people frequent and is far and away from being the best Mexican or even best Tex-Mex restaurant in San Antonio. Bland yellow-cheese enchiladas, etc. Mi Tierra and La Fonda both serve better Tex-Mex, to name two places. My two pesos anyway.

You are right about that..........I was dreaming of good times by the river with a certain person........the food is actually OK.

You have to admit, it is special eating by that river, especially at night with the lights and Mexican music..........magic in a way.

And right across the river is the Alamo.........now you have my crying :)

It is not as good as Joe T. Garcias in Ft. Worth or El Fenix in Dallas.

Yes Casa Rio has a nice riverside atmosphere, like La Paloma del Rio, another Riverwalk old-timer hanging on thanks to the tourist trade. Around 30-40 years ago they were the only Mexican places on the river and my parents used to take the family to one or the other a couple of times a month. La Paloma has updated its menu and decor a bit over the years but both serve Mexican food conceived for my parents generation, I'd say. I wouldn't hesitate to eat at Casa Rio again though, it has a certain nostalgia. For me the best Mexican food along the Riverwalk is relative newcomer Rio Rio Cantina. Yes I agree, the Riverwalk at night is pretty nice. I believe most, if not all, if these restaurants can arrange dinners aboard a barge.

There are hundreds of Mexican restaurants in San Antonio and it's hard to find a 'bad' one, but my two faves are Mi Tierra, near downtown, and La Fogata (not La Fonda, the one SpoliaOpima mentioned above), in the NW of the city. Both attract a mostly Mexican-American clientèle and serve excellent Mexican and Tex-Mex. I like La Fogata more than Joe T's or El Fenix, and most people I know, whether Mexican Americans or 'Other' Americans, who have tried all three would agree, I think. In fact even friends visiting from Mexico have been impressed when I have taken them to La Fogata.

But for north Texas, JT's and EF are pretty darn good :)

But here we are in Bangkok, where the choices aren't too bad considering the distances involved.

Yes Casa Rio has a nice riverside atmosphere, like La Paloma del Rio, another Riverwalk old-timer hanging on thanks to the tourist trade. Around 30-40 years ago they were the only Mexican places on the river and my parents used to take the family to one or the other a couple of times a month. La Paloma has updated its menu and decor a bit over the years but both serve Mexican food conceived for my parents generation, I'd say. I wouldn't hesitate to eat at Casa Rio again though, it has a certain nostalgia. For me the best Mexican food along the Riverwalk is relative newcomer Rio Rio Cantina. Yes I agree, the Riverwalk at night is pretty nice. I believe most, if not all, if these restaurants can arrange dinners aboard a barge.

There are hundreds of Mexican restaurants in San Antonio and it's hard to find a 'bad' one, but my two faves are Mi Tierra, near downtown, and La Fogata (not La Fonda, the one SpoliaOpima mentioned above), in the NW of the city. Both attract a mostly Mexican-American clientèle and serve excellent Mexican and Tex-Mex. I like La Fogata more than Joe T's or El Fenix, and most people I know, whether Mexican Americans or 'Other' Americans, who have tried all three would agree, I think. In fact even friends visiting from Mexico have been impressed when I have taken them to La Fogata.

But for north Texas, JT's and EF are pretty darn good :)

But here we are in Bangkok, where the choices aren't too bad considering the distances involved.

Never eaten at La Fogata........actually better than Joe T. Garcia's.........that is really saying something. I am going to have to try it someday. Thanks for the tip. I am going to Google it now.........

Vegetarian options including beans without lard. Please.....

You need

GOOD SALSA TEQUILA

SALSA BRAND

TRACE GENERATIONS ( 3 GEN) IS THERE BEST AND WORTH IT

YOU WILL NOT TASTE BETTER ..

ALL above coverd my tastes and likes

i lived in Mexico a long time

Molely's are what i miss

not your standerd fair, just make it fresh , all of it and you will do well..

Vegetarian options including beans without lard. Please.....

You need

GOOD SALSA TEQUILA

SALSA BRAND

TRACE GENERATIONS ( 3 GEN) IS THERE BEST AND WORTH IT

YOU WILL NOT TASTE BETTER ..

ALL above coverd my tastes and likes

i lived in Mexico a long time

Molely's are what i miss

not your standerd fair, just make it fresh , all of it and you will do well..

PS

small soft tacos / bought by the dozen / lightly grilled with oil to soften before meat is put in .

2 taco corn toritllas soft about 5 in in size before folding with meat & salsa

a real mexican taco like the street vendors in Mexico / not the Amer, Mex with a salad inside and cheese/ sourcream

No Mexican has sourcream or cheese to put on a real taco

you get 6 to 12 as you eat standing and they cook in front of you.....

That is a real taco .........beef , carneates, chicken, pork, brain, tung........that is a real taco in Mexico ....

small soft tacos / bought by the dozen / lightly grilled with oil to soften before meat is put in .

2 taco corn toritllas soft about 5 in in size before folding with meat & salsa

a real mexican taco like the street vendors in Mexico / not the Amer, Mex with a salad inside and cheese/ sourcream

No Mexican has sourcream or cheese to put on a real taco

you get 6 to 12 as you eat standing and they cook in front of you.....

That is a real taco .........beef , carneates, chicken, pork, brain, tung........that is a real taco in Mexico ....

Amen brother, you're preaching to the choir here.

But re the tequila it's Tres Generaciones. PS it's a Spanish name, don't tell the gringos :) .

tres-generaciones-reposado-tequila_2.jpg

Edited by SpoliaOpima