Smoking Your Meat

bazmlb

I have seen lots of restaurants claiming they have Smoked food, but most Par boil and use liquid smoke for the smoked flavor, is there anyone else that actually slow smokes here on the forum, its a great way to cook, although a bit tedious and slow, but the end result achieved is fantastic!

I have been using this method for some time now, with various sauces and woods, mostly Mesquite and Hickory.

Using different rubs and different sauces the end result is always good.

My Smoker is a design based on the Brinkman Tallboy with a horizontal and vertical grill section.

post-4090-1251472774_thumb.jpg

post-4090-1251473036_thumb.png

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Your title could be construed by some around here in a lewd way... LOL. :)

But, yes, I have a home-built smoker, where I can cold- or hot-smoke meat.

I make my own bacon, ham, smoked sausages, salami, fish, honey-smoked turkey breast, etc.

I have even made some smoked "lop chong dong gu" (chinese mushroom sausage).

And you're right... smoking your own meat products is so much more tasty - particularly with bacon, which is what I make the most. Its kind of like the difference between Thai "choco-coating" and real chocolate. It's an entirely different league.

But curing the meat is very important so as to avoid botulism - which grows and produces toxins rapidly in an anaerobic (oxygen-deprived) environment, like in a smoker.

I have seen lots of restaurants claiming they have Smoked food, but most Par boil and use liquid smoke for the smoked flavor, is there anyone else that actually slow smokes here on the forum, its a great way to cook, although a bit tedious and slow, but the end result achieved is fantastic!

I have been using this method for some time now, with various sauces and woods, mostly Mesquite and Hickory.

My Smoker is a design based on the Brinkman Tallboy with a horizontal and vertical grill section.

I couldn't live with out it, I built mine out of a couple of 55g drums.. basically a U.S.D with access door's

Nothing beat's it for Rib's or Pulled Pork...

I do a lot of sausage making, and it is great for smoking kielbasa and Russian sausage.... Not to mention invaluable for making ham and bacon.....

Getting ready so start smoking fish, as we have lots of scandanavians around here, and I really miss making Smoked Salmon, and Indian Candy,

Smoked cheese is also a real hit.....

S.J.C

l am interested ,,,mainly for bacon ,ham and turkey ,, how and where can l learn more about it ? ,,, thanks for any info

cheers

egg

l am interested ,,,mainly for bacon ,ham and turkey ,, how and where can l learn more about it ? ,,, thanks for any info

cheers

egg

This site has information on curing and smoking as well as many many recipes (along with non-smoked items as well), including all that you listed.

http://home.pacbell.net/lpoli/

Be sure to read up on curing meat properly.

Wouldn't wanna get sick, now.

Read all the info... but particularly be sure to read through the RESOURCES section; this link especially:

http://www.bbqguide.com/meatsmoking.php

In the US, I use a New Braunsfel BBQ to do my ribs, brisket, etc, which from the OP's image, it pretty much the same thing.  When doing a real BBQ, which I believe is to what the OP is referring, not smoking per se, you need this type of off-set BBQ, not a kettle type where the temperature can get too hot.  And yes, using real smoke is so much better than the Tony Roma's-type so-called BBQ.

However, I am going to delve into the world of true smoking.  The garbage they call bacon here is pretty disgusting, and I just had the best bacon in my life at Peter Lugers in New York a few weeks back.  So I am going to try and learn how to cure and smoke bacon and Virginia hams.  I would love to try a procuitto, but from what I have read, that is pretty hard and many things can go wrong during the curing process.

In the US, I use a New Braunsfel BBQ to do my ribs, brisket, etc, which from the OP's image, it pretty much the same thing. When doing a real BBQ, which I believe is to what the OP is referring, not smoking per se, you need this type of off-set BBQ, not a kettle type where the temperature can get too hot. And yes, using real smoke is so much better than the Tony Roma's-type so-called BBQ.

However, I am going to delve into the world of true smoking. The garbage they call bacon here is pretty disgusting, and I just had the best bacon in my life at Peter Lugers in New York a few weeks back. So I am going to try and learn how to cure and smoke bacon and Virginia hams. I would love to try a procuitto, but from what I have read, that is pretty hard and many things can go wrong during the curing process.

I agree, the "bacon" here in Thailand is pathetic. It's way overpriced as well.

Its cheaper and so much better to make your own. And its so easy....

All it takes is salt, sugar, cure.... and, of course, a smoker.

Sometimes I add black pepper to the marinade for something different, but mostly I like it basic and simple.

I tried the honey cured bacon recipe at the website above, as well as a maple syrup type -- both were very good... but again, IMO, simplest is best.

RE prosciutto: I tend to think the actual "curing" of prosciutto is the easy part - I would think controlling the humidity and temp during the drying/aging process would be much more difficult, especially in Thailand, unless one had climate-control equipment. I wouldn't even attempt it where I live, even if I did have climate-control equipment, as the electricity here is very unreliable/unstable, sometimes out for half a day, long enough to spoil the goods.

Anyway, you can find a formulation for prosciutto (complete with aging process) at the website I listed above.

He's got formulations for just about everything you can think of in regards to processed meats. Nice site. (Actually, I have a few recipes that he published for me on his site.... one is the Turkey Pastrami Roll, Balinese sausage, and a couple Thai sausage recipes.)

RE prosciutto: I tend to think the actual "curing" of prosciutto is the easy part - I would think controlling the humidity and temp during the drying/aging process would be much more difficult, especially in Thailand, unless one had climate-control equipment. I wouldn't even attempt it where I live, even if I did have climate-control equipment, as the electricity here is very unreliable/unstable, sometimes out for half a day, long enough to spoil the goods.

My bust on that.  I meant the aging process.  It takes about 12-18 months, it needs a pretty constant 70-75 degrees F, and even the best have whole batches go bad.  (I just brought a 7 pound Italian prosciutto with me from my last trip, andthe sandwich I made yesterday with a fresh St. Etoile baguette, olive oil, baslamico, and marintaged artichoke hearts was out-of-this world!)

But bacon looks easy, as do Virgina hams.

I have wondered if it might be worthwhile to have a small hobby business making bacon.  I would imagine that there are many ex-pats here who would pay for decent bacon as well as Thais who have been introduced to it.

cheers

egg

This site has information on curing and smoking as well as many many recipes (along with non-smoked items as well), including all that you listed.

http://home.pacbell.net/lpoli/

Be sure to read up on curing meat properly.

Wouldn't wanna get sick, now.

Read all the info... but particularly be sure to read through the RESOURCES section; this link especially:

http://www.bbqguide.com/meatsmoking.php

Thanks for that ChefHeat ,, l have a lot of reading to do by the looks of things ,,,, are the ingredients easily obtained over here? say in the Udon Thanni area ??

cheers

egg

Thanks for that ChefHeat ,, l have a lot of reading to do by the looks of things ,,,, are the ingredients easily obtained over here? say in the Udon Thanni area ??

cheers

egg

Yes, please read as much as you can.

The more you know, the safer you will be - as well as more confident.

You should be able to find most of what you need locally... Pork belly is very abundant. I've seen Turkey at Macro, but seems to be seasonal... and you can special request a pork leg (ham) there as well (at least at my local one). The one thing that might be elusive is the cure.

I believe there is a sausage-making thread here posted here on TV Western Food forum by one of the Mods with info and contacts for obtaining supplies such as casings, cure, etc.

If you have trouble finding cure #1 (sodium nitrite - what you need for undried meats such as bacon, ham & turkey), drop me a PM and perhaps I can help you out.

You can cure meat without using nitrites or nitrates, but you must use a lot of salt, and the end product will come out greyish in color, and definitely more salty-tasting (too salty for my taste).

As I am reading this I have 6 large racks in right now . I dry rub and then I smoke with hickory at about 210 for close to 6 hours then I take them out of the smoker and finish them on the grill with my sauce for about 5 min.

Bazmib, Did you make your smoker cart here ? I would love to have one.

Does anyone know about smoking with local wood? I have heard that coconut husk works???

I agree with the op that there are really no true Bbq places here. I remember when the one on Soi 38 opened about 6 years ago it was allright but now horrid.

The Tavern Bar on Soi 4 does a real chargrilled hamburger that would remind most folks of there backyard summer burger The price is decent as well.

As I am reading this I have 6 large racks in right now . I dry rub and then I smoke with hickory at about 210 for close to 6 hours then I take them out of the smoker and finish them on the grill with my sauce for about 5 min.

Does anyone know about smoking with local wood? I have heard that coconut husk works???

I agree with the op that there are really no true Bbq places here. I remember when the one on Soi 38 opened about 6 years ago it was allright but now horrid.

The Tavern Bar on Soi 4 does a real chargrilled hamburger that would remind most folks of there backyard summer burger The price is decent as well.

The BBQ Sandwich King does real BBQ.  It is pretty decent by US standards but outstanding by Thai standards.

Do you have an extra place at your table for one of your 6 racks?  :)

I use coconut husks to start the fire, but not to smoke with.

In my area, there is no Western types of wood available, so I use local wood.

I find mango wood works nicely - very abundant as well - and essentially free.

Edited by ChefHeat

The late Buckwheat built mine for me, he also designed the one for Tuskers in Chiangmai, its huge, i will post some pics of it, i also have a lot of plans on file and will dig them out and post them too, theres many styles and ways to do it.

I have heard of some using lamyai? to smoke with and it produces a nice result. But all woods for smoking should only be hardwoods and fruitwoods, softwoods are not suitable like pine as they wont just taste bad but you will end up sick.

One interesting thing I found was the smoke ring, its not actually produced by smoke, but is a result of produced as a result of a chemical reaction between nitrogen dioxide and the amino acids in the meat. The gas is produced when wood is burned at 600 degrees F, this is in the fire box not the cooking section. Nitrogen dioxide is also produced by gas being burnt as well, so gas powered grills still achieve a smoke ring.

Never heard of it bonobo, Where is it and whats the menu like? Thanks. For sure there is room. We live near Hua Hin however.

It is in Nonthanburi.  I don't know if I am allowed to post a URL here, but you can google it.  THere has also been at least one thread here in TV on it.  It really is pretty good.

Hua Hin is not too far to go for ribs!  :)

Just watched Jamie Oliver on television make his midnight pan breakfast.  I have to say, that English dry-cured bacon looked delicious!  If I can't find this type of bacon in Thailand, it looks like I am going to have to build a smoker and make it myself.

BTW, this is a sample of the smoked bacon I made using mango wood.

It came out wonderfully delicious - similar in flavor to apple wood, I think.

However, my smoker is a lot like the converted fridge apparatus someone posted on the first page of this thread - only mine is made out of cinder block (for the meat hanging chamber) and brick (for the burn unit). I soak the mango wood in water for a few hours before burning over some glowing coals, which were started using shredded coconut husks. I cold-smoked the meat for about 18-hours. Gave it a shower in fresh water to take off any excess smoke residue, before chilling it, removing the skin, and slicing it.

The two separate chambers helps keep the smoke cool - I chose this design because I was afraid mango wood might burn a bit hot for cold smoking using one of those all-in-one units.

post-62785-1251860708_thumb.jpg

Edited by ChefHeat

BTW, this is a sample of the smoked bacon I made using mango wood.

It came out wonderfully delicious - similar in flavor to apple wood, I think.

However, my smoker is a lot like the converted fridge apparatus someone posted on the first page of this thread - only mine is made out of cinder block (for the meat hanging chamber) and brick (for the burn unit). I soak the mango wood in water for a few hours before burning over some glowing coals, which were started using shredded coconut husks. I cold-smoked the meat for about 18-hours. Gave it a shower in fresh water to take off any excess smoke residue, before chilling it, removing the skin, and slicing it.

The two separate chambers helps keep the smoke cool - I chose this design because I was afraid mango wood might burn a bit hot for cold smoking using one of those all-in-one units.

Now that looks delicious! 

I've got two smokers. One is for a hot smoke and the other is for cold smoke. The cold smoke is made of wood and stands about 5 feet tall. It is elevated from the stove which is 15 feet away. The smoke runs through a 6 inch pipe and into the side of the smoke box. I have racks built to spread the meat. The other smoker is a commercial Big Chief made of aluminum, and it's mostly used for salmon. I only smoke venison and fish, and I've never tried ham or pork. I make my own cure from salts, spices and sugar. I normally leave my meat in the cure for at least 24 hours. For a thin filleted small salmon I only need to cure it over night. After smoking a bunch of filleted salmon I shrink wrap them and freeze them. They keep for years that way. Sometimes I'll smoke venison a bit longer than usual and let it dry. Then I turn it into jerky, or grind it into pemmican with fat and wild berries.