Achilles Tendonistis?

dragonfly94

Seem to have torn something around my ankle after running a few days ago, swollen and painful. Any recommendations on where to go in Bkk for good advise? The local clinic was no use at all and wanted to prescribe anti-biotics! I am assuming it's a tendon problem which has not ruptured but don't want to make it worse or prolong healing by not getting advice, problem is some medical advice here can be worse than doing nothing.

If you do suspect it is an Achilles tendon problem, have it seen to asap by a good orthopedic surgeon. An injury will not be the cause of "tendonitis"; this implies overuse over a period of time.

Yours seems to be injury related and may well be a partial rupture of the tendon and may proceed to a complete rupture if not managed properly.

Treatment at this stage will depend on the extent of the rupture or tear. Can be anything from surgery to a cast.

Use some Ice, Elevation of the foot and an anti-inflammatory such as Ibuprofen or other NSAID if you have no contra indications to do so in the mean time.

If you can get to Bumrungrad, Dr. Panya is a very good orthopod.

You did not describe the nature of the injury so not possible to say if any of the other ligaments around the ankle are involved but best to have it examined asap.

If you do suspect it is an Achilles tendon problem, have it seen to asap by a good orthopedic surgeon. An injury will not be the cause of "tendonitis"; this implies overuse over a period of time.

Yours seems to be injury related and may well be a partial rupture of the tendon and may proceed to a complete rupture if not managed properly.

Treatment at this stage will depend on the extent of the rupture or tear. Can be anything from surgery to a cast.

Use some Ice, Elevation of the foot and an anti-inflammatory such as Ibuprofen or other NSAID if you have no contra indications to do so in the mean time.

If you can get to Bumrungrad, Dr. Panya is a very good orthopod.

You did not describe the nature of the injury so not possible to say if any of the other ligaments around the ankle are involved but best to have it examined asap.

Thanks, already doing the things you recommend, best to go the Hospital as looks like not getting any better. I will look up that Doc. Seems no Panya comes up on the Bumrungrad website, maybe left?

Edited by dragonfly94

I certainly hope the doctor did not try to sell you Leviquin/Cipro, because that particular antibiotic has been linked to ruptured tendons. http://www.drug-injury.com/druginjurycom/2...iotics_ten.html

Amazing Thailand

Yes I read about this, made appt with Bumrungrad, maybe a bit more expensive but I never had reason to complain there before.