What Are The Words Behind Those Smiles?

Lopburi99

Philo posted this link to a description of the 13 smiles of Thailand, and it's very interesting:

http://www.into-asia.com/thailand/culture/smile.php

We all wonder what that (sometimes) lovely lady is really thinking behind those LOS smiles.

I think, with some creativity, we can all add some like:

the "So you think I'm a woman, eh?" smile

the "Today's ATM day" smile

the "I'm smiling but I am thinking about somebody else" smile

the "Please stop drinking so we can get to the hotel room" smile

the "I hope you are worth a bundle" Mother In Law's smile

the "I hope you will select me!" smile

the "You think you are so cool but I think you are a silly shit" smile

the "No way in hel_l we'll go out again" smile

the "I am just a simple Thai girl" smile

Got any to add? We can have some fun.

Edited by Lopburi99

I remember well his explanation of the many reasons behind the Thai smile. These include apology. He ends with a remark that conjours a terrible but very funny picture: if the non-Thai thinks the numerous meanings to a smile are difficult to get to grips with, imagine the poor Thai student who accidentally drinks from someone else's beer in a London pub, and then SMILES to apologise!

Review of "Culture Shock"

Many years ago, when I lived close to NaNa - and told the girls I had no money, I got the 'dry smile'. Fair enough. No money - no wetness.

But one day - when I watched two girls and a ladyboy fighting (outside Nana hotel) about a customer, I got the 'If you don't leave now, I will kill you' smile (do not know if it is in the list).

When I go to the computer shop and tell them the laptop is more f@kked up now then when I gave it to them - I get the 'yim yair-yair' (which I think should be translated as 'smile very much' ). For what? Not being willing to say : Sorry, we couldn't fix your PC.

It's hard to please everybody ...

Keep smiling.

Jeez,

And once again we have another thread about the Thai smile................hundreds have passed by uneventful, just as this one will.................

Jeeeez, I could give you guys examples of great experiences I've had in Thailand in the last 19 years, also I've had some bad times too, but guess what, the good times by far outdo the bad times, otherwise, I wouldn't be here, and I doubt you would either.

On ThaiVisa there seems to be a never ending supply of posters complaining about how hard their lives are in Thailand, I must wonder why the fawk they dont sort themselves out !!!!!!

I am quite sure you would all rather be in an English pub on a Friday night and accidentially bump into someone, I am quite sure you would be longing for that Thai smile as you are kicked into oblivion by some mindless hooligan and his all too willing friends. :D

Anyway, good luck and use that passport when you feel the need, you have the money, you have the reason, go for it . :)

And you will get that Thai smile as you leave the freekin' airport, because guess what, you ain't that important, nobody cares, but they will still give you a smile as you go on your merry way, the only person that cares about your personal hangups is ...YOU.

If you are unhappy here in Thailand and still choose to stay, I have no sympathy for you, you do have a choice, you are one of a very few percent that actually have that choice of travel, you should make the most of it and broaden your horizons.

Anyway, good luck mate, I think you'll need it. :D

Edited by Maigo6

Jeez,

And once again we have another thread about the Thai smile................hundreds have passed by uneventful, just as this one will.................

Jeeeez, I could give you guys examples of great experiences I've had in Thailand in the last 19 years, also I've had some bad times too, but guess what, the good times by far outdo the bad times, otherwise, I wouldn't be here, and I doubt you would either.

On ThaiVisa there seems to be a never ending supply of posters complaining about how hard their lives are in Thailand, I must wonder why the fawk they dont sort themselves out !!!!!!

I am quite sure you would all rather be in an English pub on a Friday night and accidentially bump into someone, I am quite sure you would be longing for that Thai smile as you are kicked into oblivion by some mindless hooligan and his all too willing friends. :D

Anyway, good luck and use that passport when you feel the need, you have the money, you have the reason, go for it . :)

I agree with you completely Maigo.Only thing I wonder about is why 90% of the posters are posting with that attitude and you, after all those years,keep preaching that the Thais are the most wonderful people on this planet.

Might it be because you are only here for a limited time every year,I think to understand from your previous posts that you spend a lot of time in Japan,and your financial status puts you at a level that you don't have to care about getting nicked all the time?

Even if someone has unlimited funds,getting nicked for small money still means getting nicked.And if even it happens all the time with a smile doesn't justify it.

Edited by basjke

I agree with you completely Maigo.Only thing I wonder about is why 90% of the posters are posting with that attitude and you, after all those years,keep preaching that the Thais are the most wonderful people on this planet.

Might it be because you are only here for a limited time every year,I think to understand from your previous posts that you spend a lot of time in Japan,and your financial status puts at a level that you don't have to care about getting nicked all the time?

Even if someone has unlimited funds,getting nicked for small money still means getting nicked.And if even it happens all the time with a smile doesn't justify it.

Hi Basjke,

You are right that I have spent some time away from my home for work purposes, and I also agree with your general sentiments.

If you are not financially secure, Thailand can be a very hard place to be.

As for the posters that keep on posting with a bad attitude, why do they stay ?

I know I wouldn't if I felt the same way..

That's just me though, I left the UK cos I didn't like it, and if I didn't like Thailand.................guess what......I'd leave here too.

By the way, why did all these guys leave their home countries to go to Thailand ? :)

Honourable Mr. Maigo6.

Sorry to have upset you.

Hi Philo......

Hey, no problem, I'm certainly not upset, I respect your opinion as I do every other posters opinion ( Including the Trolls ),

It's all part of internet life, the fact that I believe that 90% of the stories in General Topics are totally made up ( look at most of the typical posts, the poster joins that day and tells his tales of woe, and asks total strangers on an anonymous internet forum for advice on life altering desicions ) is neither here nor there, anywayz, cheers mate.

Have a nice time, cheers. :)

There is one single aspect of this thread that should not be forgotten: This link refers to Thai language. Henceforth - it should be legitime to discuss it on TV.

Thanks to philo and lopburi 99 for the link.

Quite much appreciated..Going to exercise tomorrow..btw,smiling makes everybody look younger,methinks i needto :)

By the way, why did all these guys leave their home countries to go to Thailand ? :D

Because when they arrived it looked a bit different from the real thing. :)

And they still remain.................................

Bitching, whining, moaning, resentful, whatever............ and yet still they stay, why ?

Can't be that bad, can it ?

Whoever gives that smile that captivates you , it will not last. Countless reasons as always behind the smile , BUT, only when the smile stops and you are actually living with her that you will truely understand Thai women . When that happens you will be classed as a married man to a Thai lady. Its not that bad as long as your not a butterfly and she isnt either !!

Edited by sunholidaysun1

Philo posted this link to a description of the 13 smiles of Thailand, and it's very interesting:

We all wonder what that (sometimes) lovely lady is really thinking behind those LOS smiles.

:)

How about the:

"I've been here for almost 12 hours now, listening to you BS from drunken Farang fools like you, and I'm so glad the bar is closing in 30 minutes so I can take a Valium tablet and finally get some sleep in your hotel room, even if I have to put up with 5 minutes of clumsy drunken lovemaking from a fat slob like you"

smile that you get from the sweet little thing you've been buying watered down Cola drinks for at double the honest price for the last three hours. (of which she's likely to get half the cost of each drink, at best).

:D

Perhaps ah have been real lucky - maybe ah mah time to suss the scene out - that way ya stay alive - dont get robbed, shot or mugged.

I have an internal early warning system, and will often walk away when its a no-go situation.

Having said that, my survival instinct is always in play - which makes the smile-factor almost a natural for me - it speaks volumes.

I observe it mostly in the eyes and aura - the eyes actually - for moi - confirm everything that the aura transmitted in the first instance.

If there is no chemistry or there is some reluctance or hesitation, I walk - it might be somewhat cavalier, but I aint that desperate, I never second-guess my instincts.

Plus this is not squats in the gym - its supposed to be highly pleasurable, erotic - drinks, dinner, boat ride, pillow talk, etc. No regimen.

When a woman smiles - really smiles, you see it in here mouth, her eyes, her soul, the way she holds her head, just so, the pout, that natural strut. Everything.

I have always loved women more than I would ever dare to admit publicly.

A woman's most endearing smile is that shit-eating grin that says later ...

Keep smiling baby.

Wow, I thought they all meant "I want you now!" It always creeped me out when men smiled at me. :)