Getting International Driving License

Most got a driving license from back home. I got my motorbike driving license here in Thailand. What I want is an international driving license, with out paying for it back home in Denmark. I requested at the office where I passed the test. They were not able to help me. Somebody told me, that there is an office in Chiang Mai, that issues international driving licenses for motorbikes.

Somebody please know the procedures for obtaining an international driving license for motorbike?

Thank You

Harry

Most got a driving license from back home. I got my motorbike driving license here in Thailand. What I want is an international driving license, with out paying for it back home in Denmark. I requested at the office where I passed the test. They were not able to help me. Somebody told me, that there is an office in Chiang Mai, that issues international driving licenses for motorbikes.

Somebody please know the procedures for obtaining an international driving license for motorbike?

Thank You

Harry

You cannot use a Thai issued international license in Thailand.

A few notes on international drivers’ license:

Thailand only recognizes International drivers licenses issued under the 1949 years convention. There is another license issued under the 1968 years convention which is NOT valid. Some countries accept both, many countries issue both, make sure you tell them where you are going when get one.

Most Asian countries will only accept the 1949 years convention, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore and Laos. Indonesia is one of the few accepting both.

1949 years convention licenses are only valid for one year, 1968 years convention license is valid for three years.

The vast majority of international licenses offered on the internet are not accepted, they will only get you in trouble.

An international license is only valid together with the national license, always carry both when driving.

It’s advisable to go to the Land Transport office (where they issue drivers licenses in Thailand) and have them check and stamp the International License. Think they charge 20 Bath for this service and then there will be no problems with the police.

You are only allowed to drive on your international license in Thailand for 6 months, after this you have to get a local license.

If you have had a Thai national license for over a year you can get an international license issued on this license and use this when driving anywhere outside Thailand. In Thailand the International license is only issued by the Land Transport office, this is where they issue the normal drivers license.