The Beer Thread

olddog

"The brewers must be very rich to keep one of their own products off the market, in order to promote another."

Yes, brewers are extremely rich! Singha is their premium brand, but I'm sure if Leo was available in competition there would be enough of a brand migration to hurt their Singha sales, and they'd suffer an overall loss of profit, as they make more from Sing than they do from Leo. Still no answer from the brewery, btw - there's a surprise!

Dont know how anybody can group Heinekin in with the rest of them, Heinekin is pishwater and should not be called beer!! :)

:D so is tiger beer......good golly, where are the real beer tasters........beer lao is the way to go...... :D

LEO is popular in Petchabun, a lot of Thai's have switched from Chung to LEO.

At the bulk buy place in town you can get 24 small bottles for 560 Baht, I think its the same price in Tesco's, but that's a 200km round trip for me.

I also know of a restaurant on Route 21 that does LEO on tap, but that's a little secret!.

On a recent day out to Ayuthaya I tried some Beer LAO dark, which was surprisingly good.

On my annual Bangkok run I treat myself to a pint of Guinness at a Brit pub (Duke of Boots).

LEO do some nice beer glasses too and on the cans I am sure we are now into sexy LEO girl season 4!

I've often asked myself about the Leo thing. Why is it not avaible in bars and reasturants outside Isaan?

Someone must have some kind of conspiricy theory as to why this is?

I just had a moment of zen-like clarity (brought on by a chilled bottle of Leo); Singha and Leo are brewed by the same company. If they started selling Leo in all their farang outlets, after a brief period of acclimatisation most of their sales would be from Leo, with a consequent drop in sales for their "premium" brand.

Maybe?

Also - anybody know how they make beer in Thailand?

They make beer the same way they make it everywhere. I have been to several breweries in the country.

I judge beers by way of taste and by the hangover, if any. I regularly drink Singh and will drink Chang if singh is not available, and any of the two or Heineken if it is the only one available on draft. Draft always tastes better than bottle, IMHO.

If Leo is the only beer available, I will drink water. And Archa is not a beer, it is some undrinkable concoction. Federbrau tasted good when I got the cans initially but miraculously not good when I tried the draft or the bottles. Dunno, maybe the production process was not stable yet. Beer Lao, OTOH, is a good beer.

All of this is IMHO of course.

I drink Chang, then Leo if no Chang, then Singha. Will not drink Heineken under any circumstance, would rather have water, juice, or a coke if the only beer is Heineken.

Imported beers are in a different category and don't follow this rule.

I disagree about Heineken, which is not my all-time favourite but still a good beer. I do agree that imported beers are a different category.

Does anyone know if Samuel Adams Boston Lager is available in Thailand?

I hope so. It makes other beers taste like beer-flavored water.

Good stuff!

post-41898-1252630285_thumb.jpg

Beer Lao and Chang are now available here in Florida, along with Singha, of course.

I do like the Beer Lao.

Have not seen any Leo here. Will try it when I am in Thailand next month.

Issanman

Pure Blonde is great beer Low carb....I have only found one place that has it Beer garden in Pattaya Walking....

I think the Aussie bar/boxing roo on 3rd road does it,as it is an Aussie beer/lager,and i believe witherspoons on soi bukhaw does it too.

Not a big beer drinker myself but i do like Leo compared to the other crap on offer.Victoria bitter is nice at Boxing Roo and i am partial to a few ciders also.

Hoegarden and Duvel are nice but too expensive and not widely available.

I like Singha, actually this is what I drink in the Thai restaurants here in Cambodia. Never cared for Chang much, and hate both Heineken and Jarlsberg. Never tried Leo, must try and find one in BKK this weekend.

If you eat in what looks like a genuine Thai restaurant (ie half on the street, with toilet rolls on tin tables) it's 100% certain they sell Leo. If you like Singha, there's a fair bet you won't want to drink it again after Leo.

Still no answer to the "what's in it?" question? Nobody knows? No hops, right?

Heineken used to be good beer, as I remember it, about 30 years ago in the UK. Maybe my tastes have changed, but it could be the beer just isn't as good. Like most of the posters here, I think it's undrinkable. All it has is global marketing and a brand that inspires confidence in Germanic values.

Beer Lao is seen as lo-so by the Thais, but always beats out Sing/Tiger in blind tastings. They still can't bring themselves to buy it, though.

really everyone i know gets excited when we get a few cases of beer lao for the house.... But not as excited as when the beer fairy makes a delivery of hitachino nest red rice ale.... in the 32 oz bottles at that.... mmmmm beer :)

Like the man said, just wander back to the beer fridge and serve yourself.

If they sell somtam and gaiyang they've got Leo.

post-60101-1252685760.jpg

sorry this is of topic mahatin i have been looking for a good photo for my avater and pinched your attach photo, it made me laugh so much, :):D:D hope your ok with it

i used to be a perfectly contented Sing drinker then i went back to the UK for a couple of months and drank way too much real beer. now i just can't get excited about any Thai beer. i have one small Sing with dinner when eating out, that's about it. i drink cocktails at home now.

sorry this is of topic mahatin i have been looking for a good photo for my avater and pinched your attach photo, it made me laugh so much, :):D:D hope your ok with it

Not my intellectual property, mate, forget where I half-inched it.

Thought I recognised it in the visa forum.

What I really wanted was a pic of a Thai glass-fronted bottle-furniture, whatever you call it, cooler?

:D

I drink Singha, don't mind Leo, Tiger or Beer Lao, like the occasional Kilkenny, Erdinger Dunkel, and Guinness, and stay away from Chang...............though Chang draft gives me no problems.

Not my intellectual property, mate, forget where I half-inched it.

Thought I recognised it in the visa forum.

What I really wanted was a pic of a Thai glass-fronted bottle-furniture, whatever you call it, cooler?

:D

hi mahtin just an update on avater!!!! mods asked me to remove it!!! ie not appropriate :D

Anyone tried the brewed beer in Tawandang <sp>?

I'm usually a LEO man when at home, but everything tastes like p*ss after a night at Tawandang..takes about 3 Singhas before they begin to taste palatable.

Recommend the white beer especially!

and the dark...

the lager isnt bad either!