Politicians Seek To Relax Airport Security

churchill

As I recall the belt thing just started this year?

Haven't had to remove it before in my memory and I don't have to do it anywhere in the USA, Japan or Hong Kong.

It seems silly and if there was anything of consequence hidden in my belt I assume the metal detector would spot that, but we've all grown accustomed to invasion of our privacy if we travel so.........?

~WISteve

Never mind if those precautions actually do anything- if Thailand unilaterally drops them, it will create huge problems for them in terms of international air security standards. They may even have some airlines drop the route. Not smart.

Who says removing a belt has anything to do with any 'standard'?

And if it did, by your logic I would not have been able to travel to several countries in the past year since airlines wouldn't have traveled there since those countries didn't have the belt-removal on their checklist...

Well, I hate to inform some of you, but the removing of the belt started long ago, as did removing shoes etc. Long, long before 9/11, I was boarding a flight from Geneva, Switzerland (Around 1996), headed to another point inside Europe. I was told to remove my belt, watch, ring and shoes. I did and walked through the metal detector; it buzzed. Then I found some change in my pocket, but it buzzed again, so back out. I finally had nothing left to remove and asked how long did I have to continue it. I was told that until it quits buzzing, I would not be allowed to board. I ended up taking my short pants off. It was the metal buttons and the zipper that was apparently causing the problem. Walked through the metal detector with a bathrobe they provided.

I might add that everyone boarding was treated the same, so it was a slow moving lane. I had never encountered anything like it before (or since). I have no idea what was going on, but I can only guess it may have been in response to a particular security threat.

I had a similar experience flying from HK to BKK many years ago (pre 9/11). All foreign nationals were put in a different line and taken behind curtains and thoroughly searched--both men and women. All residents of Hong Kong were allowed to go through regular screening.

When these things happen, they can feel very personal.

Well, I hate to inform some of you, but the removing of the belt started long ago, as did removing shoes etc. Long, long before 9/11, I was boarding a flight from Geneva, Switzerland (Around 1996), headed to another point inside Europe. I was told to remove my belt, watch, ring and shoes. I did and walked through the metal detector; it buzzed. Then I found some change in my pocket, but it buzzed again, so back out. I finally had nothing left to remove and asked how long did I have to continue it. I was told that until it quits buzzing, I would not be allowed to board. I ended up taking my short pants off. It was the metal buttons and the zipper that was apparently causing the problem. Walked through the metal detector with a bathrobe they provided.

I might add that everyone boarding was treated the same, so it was a slow moving lane. I had never encountered anything like it before (or since). I have no idea what was going on, but I can only guess it may have been in response to a particular security threat.

I had a similar experience flying from HK to BKK many years ago (pre 9/11). All foreign nationals were put in a different line and taken behind curtains and thoroughly searched--both men and women. All residents of Hong Kong were allowed to go through regular screening.

When these things happen, they can feel very personal.

Current metal detector technology has advanced, the incident you had sounds like a zealous bunch of guards with a detectors who sensitivity was turned up MUCH too high.

Any kind of system that requires someone to be singled out will end up feeling highly personal.

I had a very frustrating incident myself, I know what metal objects I wear will set off detectors (Namely steel toed boots) I know ahead of time to take them off and plop them onto the Xray.

What frustrated me was that after going through the metal sensor I was then patted down by the on hand guard even though the sensor had NOT buzzed.

Scott>> You are talking about local step-ups in security, and that is one thing. Now when Thailand backs down from this over-zealous thing some here claim it to be in breach with some international standard. It does not.

Edited by TAWP

Thai politicians are pressuring Suvarnabhumi Airport's security staff to drop some pre-boarding screening procedures, even though this would breach global aviation security standards.

The move to lift the requirement for passengers to put their jackets and belts through X-ray machines before they walk through metal detectors is being spearheaded by Pichet Panwichartkul, a Democrat MP.

Mr Pichet has called the procedures an inconvenience for passengers and he is attempting to use his position as an adviser to the House standing committee on banking and finance to ease airport security, which has left security and airline managers dumbfounded.

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 28/08/09

actually it makes sense. he is most likely trying to protect the passengers from the pilfering security staff who distract you and riffle through your stuff.

seriously.