Getting Child Support From A Farang

dbTraveler

I think that the member rgs2001uk was the first to comment on this, and his advice about not getting involved was excellent, the thread should have stopped there.

As I read,

I know at least 4 farang married to Thai women who are raising the children with no support from the fathers, I feel sure they would be interested to hear of this Thai law, and how to apply it to their circumstances.

I am in that position and wish I wasn't. The Thai's I know just accept as fact that men won't support their children when they leave, I'd like to know the law. The father of my wife's child certainly never helps. All this nonsense about lawyers, child support and blood tests... to all those with hearts of gold, you are better than me. There's not a day goes by when some bill or other doesn't make me wish I'd never gotten sucked into this situation but life's not always black and white. Let's just say that being a step-father isn't exactly the life I'd always dreamed of. The situation described by the OP sounds like a sob-story. Classic.

To the OP, careful mate.

u sound genuinly concerned for the well-being of both her and the child, i salute ur kindness, i really do.

evaluate the situation wisely. and if u can help at all, go for it. but dont dig urself a hole.

my sons mum lied regarding everything that ever happened.

from a one night stand which i gave her contraceptive medicine in her hand, she 'fell' pregnant.

each of her friends thinks im some different fantastic personr. (lawyer, pilot, american, dead... bla bla)

long story short, no money= no visitation rights, no son, no birth certificate(on which she forged my signature, so she said), no photos, and lotsa abusive emails.

(eff you, i want nothing from you, eff your family etc)(oh, threatened to kill our son, change his name, marry a random guy and tell our son his dad was the other guy, mostly to agitate me i guess)

the local gestapo kindly offered to 'assist' for a multi mill figure.

but...im nowhere near that figure yet.

while she was trying to fleece me over the course of a year or more, she also had at least 2 other fellas convinced that it was their kid. and they needed to cough up.

peace.

be careful bro.

May be a little heartless but the only tangable solution I can see is for her is to go down the same track a most other Thai girls supporting a child and family. Go shopping for another Farang and hope he turns out better than the last!

In the mean time get a court order for sole custody of the child on desertion grounds, that procedure only cost TW (me) about 10,000 Baht all up including lawyers fees, and a bit of running around but gave us a perfectly clean slate for the child.

There is an agency in the UK called the Child Support Agency (CSA for short), UK mothers sometimes use this agency to get money from the father when the father refuses to pay. However this is usually when man is known to be the childs father and the mother/child are resident inthe UK. The CSA would deduct the money from the fathers pay-check before he receives it.

In your case the mother of the child is not in the UK and it is not known if the father is working and also it is not known if he truely is the father, you would need to work on all these 3 points.

1. Can the mother andchild establish entry in the UK.

2. Can the mother prove the man is the childs father ? maybe a DNA test ? also is the man registered as the childs father on the birth certificate ?

3. Is the man working ?

I'm not sure the CSA will intervene on an internation basis, ie when the mother and child are not living in UK, therefore you may need to check if there is another agency who would.

The Child Support Agency will in NO way get involved in this affair as both parents HAVE to reside in the UK. My ex-bitter wife got the Child Support Agency involved in my child maintenance even though I was paying a good monthly amount to my two children via a court order. When I left the UK, I never informed them of this and still continued to have money taken straight from my private pension. Some 5 years later the C.S.A. wrote to my former address in the UK asking for an update on my income etc. The letter was kindly forwarded to my address out here by the buyer of my property in the UK. I completed all of the forms answering correctly what they required to know about me and returned it to them. A month later I received a letter from them stating that I should've informed them that I no longer resided in the UK, and that they would have stopped all payments to my children as I was out of their jurisdiction. I contacted my ex-wife and agreed to continue paying child maintenance but at a rate which I could afford.

So I am afraid that the Thai lady who bore the baby to a man from the UK has nothing to come out of it, unless he returns to Thailand on a full time basis, then she can take him to court over here and fight for her rights for child support.

The idea of the C.S.A. was to tackle the parents who refused to pay child maintenance and they had targets to meet. However they couldn't meet their targets and welcomed anyone to file a complaint with them to gain money and justify their existence. The tackled the easy targets such as people who worked for the Government. Police, Fire, Ambulance, Soldiers etc. The targets who they should have tackled, got away Scot free as per usual!

Edited by Pitbullman1

I see no reason why the OP should not ask this question of a diplomat at the British Embassy.

Personally, I find it offensive in the extreme that a man would abandon his child.

I suspect that there is a mechanism that could result in a court-ordered paternity test. Obviously, such a test would have to be ordered by a UK agency, and the mother would have to ascertain the whereabouts of the alleged father in order to refer that information to that agency. Considering the length of their relationship, it is possible that the mother has a copy of the alleged father's passport, or at least his passport number. If this is the case, the alleged father could be traced and located. In any event, any competent private investigator in the UK could locate the alleged father, through tax records or other data, under the assumption that the mother has the full legal name of the alleged father. This might be the best way to begin. Find the father first, then compel a paternity test through legal means.

In the event that paternity is established, I also suspect that there is a mechanism whereby the mother could sue the father for child support, or otherwise compel child support through a child support agency.

Yes, I imagine that this exercise may prove to be expensive.

I also think that it would be a worthwhile process to explore. The benefits to both child and mother could be significant. Even 10,000 or 20,000 THB a month in child support could mean the difference between abject poverty and an existence with dignity.

Deadbeat dads get no mercy from me.

Edited by ma91c1an

Maybe the legal route isn't the way to go. How much does she know about his family? How would his parents feel about their grandchild being abandoned? Maybe a letter and some photos, along with a pledge to have DNA tests done might place some internal family pressure on hi. It may or may not have any effect but it's worth a go.