What Dns Servers Should I Use?

mnbcm

A couple months ago when TTT was having major issues I switched to 156.154.70.1, 156.154.71.1. I'm having horrible issues with TTT yesterday and today. I have to constantly reload pages to get them to work. Should I change DNS servers? TTT having more problems?

My TT&T SND Server No's

202 69 137 137

202 69 137 138

not sure if that helps as i am not too clued up on DNS Servers

TJK

you said in your post you switched month ago to 156...

I am wondering who reverted it? Her you can change it back

post-a92646-tcpip.jpg

If you click on the "Advanced..." button (in the picture above) you can add a whole load of servers. I use 2 from OpenDNS and 2 from Maxnet.

How does Windows (Vista, in particular) handle DNS requests when you have multiple DNS server addresses?

Does it try the first one, and if it can't resolve the name/address, then move to the second one, and third one, etc?

Or,

Does it try the first one, and only move to the second one if it can't contact the DNS server itself.

e.g. If I put TT&T (my ISP) server address first and it can't resolve a name/address (due to MICT interference, for example), does Windows then move to the next DNS server on the list? Or, does Windows stay with the first server address even though it can't resolve the name/address?

Thanks to the Gibson tool, I see that my TT&T DNS server is LOTS faster than others, probably due to its closeness geographically. But, if TT&T blocks so many sites, and if Windows doesn't then move to the second DNS server, I don't want the TT&T to be #1.

I got tired of problems with ISP provide DNS server address's and selected, obtain DNS server address automatically. All works so much better now.

I believe that when you select "Obtain DNS server address automatically", what you get is your ISP's DNS server. :)

An easy one to remember is 4.2.2.2 (I think anything from 4.2.2.1 to .5 actually) - from memory these are Verizon's.

I also use my ISP's and OpenDNS's servers usually, but the 4.2.2.2 one is handy for quick tests etc when DNS issues suspected (and I can't remember or lookup any others). True's DNS servers haven't been too bad lately but they have been unreliable at times - possibly due to censorship shenanigans.

How does Windows (Vista, in particular) handle DNS requests when you have multiple DNS server addresses?

Does it try the first one, and if it can't resolve the name/address, then move to the second one, and third one, etc?

Or,

Does it try the first one, and only move to the second one if it can't contact the DNS server itself.

e.g. If I put TT&T (my ISP) server address first and it can't resolve a name/address (due to MICT interference, for example), does Windows then move to the next DNS server on the list? Or, does Windows stay with the first server address even though it can't resolve the name/address?

Thanks to the Gibson tool, I see that my TT&T DNS server is LOTS faster than others, probably due to its closeness geographically. But, if TT&T blocks so many sites, and if Windows doesn't then move to the second DNS server, I don't want the TT&T to be #1.

You had to ask :)

I found the following very comprehensive summary of M$ explanation as to how their DNS lookup works for XP. It also provides a link to the very detailed explanation at the M$ website

Obviously due to the significant delays in switching to your secondary DNS choice the primary DNS server should be the one that is most reliable.

If you believe that the cause of your Internet problems maybe DNS related then you could try accessing the site directly using its IP address to see if the problem is solved.'

To get a site's IP address ping the site from a DOS (CMD) prompt. e.g. Ping www.Google.com will reply with the message "reply from 208.67.219.231......"

Thaimite

from http://tinyurl.com/mtbojz

There's a good series of flowcharts on the low-level behaviour of the Windows XP DNS client here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457118.aspx

I'm not finding the same level of documentation for the Windows Vista and newer resolvers, though I'd expect that it's in the resource kit (since those get rev'd for each new release of Windows).

(I am simplifying this a little bit... you really should read the article if you want to know how it actually works because the logic is a bit complicated.)

The XP DNS client attempts each name resolution request through the primary DNS server specified on the primary network adapter first. If that times out (in one second) it attempts the same query on each adapter in the machine using the primary DNS server specified on each adapter, all at once, waiting 2 seconds for each response. If there's no response there then it sends out a request to all DNS servers specified on all adapters and waits 4 seconds. It does this again, waiting 8 seconds, and then returns timeout if it still hasn't received a response (and will continue to return timeout for the next 30 seconds w/o issuing any new queries).

I doubt the resolver has changed much in Vista and newer OS's, but there may be some minor differences.

The XP DNS client attempts each name resolution request through the primary DNS server specified on the primary network adapter first. If that times out (in one second) it attempts the same query on each adapter in the machine using the primary DNS server specified on each adapter, all at once, waiting 2 seconds for each response. If there's no response there then it sends out a request to all DNS servers specified on all adapters and waits 4 seconds. It does this again, waiting 8 seconds, and then returns timeout if it still hasn't received a response (and will continue to return timeout for the next 30 seconds w/o issuing any new queries).

Thanks. I had always wondered about that.

according to the dnsbench tool, opensdns isn't working anymore with TTT, use 156.154.70.1(still working) and the ones with your provider, everything should work fine.

OpenDNS working for me on TT&T's Maxnet "Indy".

Maybe the dnsbench tool is not working. :)