Condo Inspections

I was advised today that my off the plan Condo is ready for inspection in October. When I bought houses in Australia I paid for a qualified inspector to inspect the property to ensure all defects are corrected prior to settlement.

Does anyone know if this service is available in Pattaya?

All advice will be greatly appreciated

To my knowledge, home inspection service is not available anywhere in Thailand.

Handy Andy ("Pattaya Today" Newspaper) wrote about the topic several times, questioning why no entrepreneur has launched such a franchise here (given so much building and so much shoddy workmanship and materials). Andy suggested that you plan to spend several hours carefully inspecting every centimeter of your home, inside and out, and that you take with you an expert or two--a building contractor, architect, plumber, electrician, carpenter, etc. You might have to pay each a few hundred baht, but it could save you thousands and thousands of baht.

I'm not sure what an architect would add to the mix. I think if you bring along a couple condo owners who have an eye for detail, a flashlight, and a screwdriver - to allow you to remove every switch plate - you can do the job yourself....that's assuming you've owned a home before.

I'm not sure what an architect would add to the mix. I think if you bring along a couple condo owners who have an eye for detail, a flashlight, and a screwdriver - to allow you to remove every switch plate - you can do the job yourself....that's assuming you've owned a home before.

An architect will add a trained eye to the mix. I've looked at houses with an architect (not in Thailand, though) and was utterly amazed by what he picked up on -- stuff that I would never have known. He pointed out defects that I didn't notice even though I was staring at them and also spots were problems were likely to occur in the future. Anyway, that was my experience and I was glad I did it this way.

An architect will add a trained eye to the mix. I've looked at houses with an architect (not in Thailand, though) and was utterly amazed by what he picked up on -- stuff that I would never have known. He pointed out defects that I didn't notice even though I was staring at them and also spots were problems were likely to occur in the future. Anyway, that was my experience and I was glad I did it this way.

You would have done yourself a bigger favor in getting comments from a (foreign) architect while studying the floor layouts and building designs before even making a booking. This same architect can only give you limited assistance before transfer as you would be deemed to have accepted any poor design issues, and the only issues outstanding are the specifications stated in the sales agreement.

what will you do if you find some defects? refuse to take ownership? or go to a Thai court?

small defects are common and typically the developer will be happy to fix for you. these are mostly finishing related - paint, cracks, broken tiles, etc. large defects are more challenging .. make sure you measure room size, balcony, and go with the check list (from your sales contract) to ensure you have all equipment installed, and quality of materials as per sales contract. also check common area - remember as a condo owner you are also part owner of the common area - to make sure it is what promise in the sales brochure and sales contract. if you find large defects, submit in writing, make a fuss, spread the word, negotiate ... ask for discount, more equipment installed, etc.