6 Students Injured By Homemade Ping Pong Bomb

george

6 students injured by homemade ping pong bomb in Ayutthaya

AYUTTHAYA: -- Six students were injured when a homemade ping pong bomb exploded inside their class at a school in Ayutthaya at noon Thursday.

The explosion happened at a private school in municipality area of the province.

One of them was the most severely injured as he was the one who played with the bomb. He also lost his right middle finger. His name was withheld.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-09-03

"One of them was the most severely injured as he was the one who played with the bomb. He also lost his right middle finger. His name was withheld."

If he was the one who made the bomb, then he deserves all he gets! And if he wasn't, why was he playing with it? Fool!

FF

It's in the nature of children to do foolish things. That's why they have parents.

It's in the nature of children to do foolish things. That's why parents send them to school.

in the end is not much you can do about it.

I think it is a teachers job to educate their students and while they also teach them manners and such, it is their parents job to raise them, not that of a teacher.

But the story is sad.

Man! what did they pack it with, gun powder?   We used match stick heads and you had to slam it onto the floor to make it go off. :)    Harmless really,  just a lot of sparks. 

I hope he is going to be OK, thats really got to hurt.

Wow this reminds me of my childhood. I was a major pyro with way to much unsupervised time. I have done what they likely did. Poke a whole in a ping pong ball, put just a tiny pit of petrol in it, shake it up to vaporize the petrol, add an ignition source, and pow it's amazing how much energy is in a few drops of petrol. That or scrap out the powder inside a model rocket engine.

Ping Pong ball bomb:

Oh please remind me not to show my pyro son this thread!!!!! Sad that kids were injured.... even if it was their own fault.... my brothers used to fill up empty 22 shells with match stick heads then smash them with a hammer, I was about 5 at the time and used to copy them... and my three year old brother joined in... loads of fun! :)

Hello, it is all fun for children until someone gets hurt. I hope the children get better guidance and have learned their lesson, and more people will talk about this so more children will have more fear to make the bombs. It would be good to know where the adults were when they were making the bombs, and if the adults will be watching them more.

All the talk of Ping Pong Ball Bombs in the press, and by people in conversations,

just makes the kids, interested, they DO listen to what we say,

just at this age not what we TELL them to do... ( insert expletive hjere)

It is a shame for thjis foolish kid, , and maybe if given enough press others

may learn from it, what NOT to do... TIT , nah never happen.

They will just think they will be smarter than he was.

Teachers need to say what these things can do to you if you make a mistake,

and parents need to make sure kids have no access to explosive type materials,

again TIT, never gonna happen. Same same, a shame.

Edited by animatic

As another ex rocket and home made explosives maker, I can say kids will be kids. We never set out to intentionally hurt anyone, and lucky enough didn't even unintentionally hurt anyone, but there were a few close calls. Still, it's all good fun until someone loses an eye, or a finger.

Why is it in stories such as these they always stress that the weapons were home made? Home made pingpong bombs, home made petrol bombs, home made cellphone bombs. As opposed to what? Factory manufactured ones? "The rioting crowd threw a number of Acme Industries pingpong bombs they'd bought at 5 for 100 baht from Tesco's. Some were also seen to be carrying Esso brand petrol bombs, available at all Esso stations. One free with every tank full of petrol".