Why Do You Support Your Team?

Xangsamhua

Why I support my team  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recent discussion about why people support teams like Milwall and West Ham rather than Tottenham got me wondering why people decide to be loyal to a particular team. In my case (Notts County) it was because of where I lived as a child and the fact that I could go to the games. I also have a favourite team in the Premiership ( because I've seen them play at their home ground and I liked the spirit of the place), but I think I'm really interested in your "real" favourite team, not just the one you like in the big league.

Edited by Xangsamhua

Recent discussion about why people support teams like Milwall and West Ham rather than Tottenham got me wondering why people decide to be loyal to a particular team. In my case (Notts County) it was because of where I lived as a child and the fact that I could go to the games. I also have a favourite team in the Premiership ( because I've seen them play at their home ground and I liked the spirit of the place), but I think I'm really interested in your "real" favourite team, not just the one you like in the big league.

I find that highly offensive, you should have wrote " why people support teams like Millwall & T*ttenham rather than West Ham "... :D

Edit : Anyway, where you are from & who you support says a lot about a Person in my opinion, no need to elaborate further than that........ :)

Edited by MSingh

I think there are normally a couple of factors in why people support a certain team. For me, I support Manchester United as that is the team that my father supported and I guess pushed me to that team - funny though as a kid most othe kids in school supported Liverpool. As it is, we went to a number of games - although we also went to a number of games of different clubs throughout that we didn't support. Local teams for me have been the Devon teams, and as father supports Exeter, I took Torquay as it's good to have a bit of rivalry, and Torquay were always struggling. When I lived in Bristol, used to go and watch both City and Rovers, but always preferred City to Rovers. Anyway, for me the main thing is that you support a team for the right reasons, not just because they win every week, and once you take a team then you stick with it.

As I missed the original thread, I don't see any harm in formulating another, or resurrecting the original.

My only criticism is the lack of the really pertinent option "I liked the colour of their shirts". :)

Edit

Ooops. I seem to have overlooked the inclusion of that question.

Edited by Happy Hammer

As I missed the original thread, I don't see any harm in formulating another, or resurrecting the original.

My only criticism is the lack of the really pertinent option "I liked the colour of their shirts". :D

That's why Coventry used to have so few fans back in the 70's with their disgusting chocolatre brown shirts. :)

:):D:D brings a 'hole' new meaning to 'let em come' !!

:D

'We can see you... we can see you...we can see you holding hands!' West Ham fans sang to Brighton fans last time the two teams met :-)

For me, 'come on son, we're going down the football' I was told by my mates older brother, and off we went to Upton Park, I was about 10 or 11. In those days in London people supported their local team. You never saw anyone wearing an Arsenal/Chelsea/Liverpool/Man Utd shirt in East London.

These days, it seems, there are different criteria. When I ask young lads wearing other teams shirts why they support that team they usually say something like ''cos they're the best' or 'cos of Fabregas' or some other star player.

Going to football matches these days is a completely different experience. Many aspects of it are much much better, I remember being on the terraces when West Ham scored, everyone piled forward and you had to watch out for those barriers that were placed at intervals up and down the stand or you'd be crushed. There was always someone dishing comments out all the time, people starting off songs and a real sense of fun within the crowd, not generated by piped music played too loud over the staduim sound system.

It was definitely a sense of 'our people and their people' at the games, especially the London derby games. It is, perhaps, a legacy of those times/feelings that fuels the current rivalries with many people trying to hold on to something of their local identity which, inevitably I believe, becomes less and less distinct in modern times.

seeing that the old thread has now been resurrected, I will close this one

(since OP also fees that way)

Id try to merge the 2 threads, but with polls this can be tricky. so you'll just have to live with whatever options are in the older thread. hope thats ok Xang :)