Urgent Advice Needed- Leaving Thailand On Imm B Visa Without Reentry Permit

Advice needed

I've just learnt my mother is seriously ill and need to get on the first flight out to UK as time is short.

I have an Immigration B Visa and have lived / worked here 5 years on this.

My Re-entry permit got used last month when I went on holiday and I haven't yet got a new one.

My visa is valid for 10 months.

I have 2 choices

1.Get an early flight and depart Thailand without a re-entry permit

2. Get to the local immigration office asap 2moro - get a re-entry permit and then fly out in the evening

Question-

as time is of the essence

what are the implications of number 1 for when I return?

You will have to start all over again if you leave without the work permit. If you choose to do this you should get a single entry B visa while you are out of the country. And then apply for a extension when you get back.

There was a recent report where a person with a similar situation was able to get a re-entry permit at the airport. It took a few phone calls to immigration before he got to the airport to get it done though.

Advice needed

I've just learnt my mother is seriously ill and need to get on the first flight out to UK as time is short.

I have an Immigration B Visa and have lived / worked here 5 years on this.

My Re-entry permit got used last month when I went on holiday and I haven't yet got a new one.

My visa is valid for 10 months.

I have 2 choices

1.Get an early flight and depart Thailand without a re-entry permit

2. Get to the local immigration office asap 2moro - get a re-entry permit and then fly out in the evening

Question-

as time is of the essence

what are the implications of number 1 for when I return?

:)

Leaving the country will end your visa...as you will be stamped for departing on the visa.

If it is at all possible you should try for a re-entry permit to avoid losing your current visa.

:D

As Ubonjoe said, in real emergencies it is possible to get a re-entry permit at the airport. But the mentioned report is the only one I saw so far. It is worth a try. If you can take some proof like an email that your mother is seriously ill it might help. You might consider calling in advance to the airport, or use the immigration hotline 1178 (they seem very helpful and might inquire on your behalf)

If you don't get a re-entry permit you would need to get a new visa abroad.

Edit: if you go make sure to bring a photo!

thanks

I've tried the immigration hotline- 1111

they were helpful - as much as they could be and said if i explained the emergency nature of the trip at the airport's immigration desk it would probably be ok- if i showed paper evidence - eg death certificate, hospital papers on return explaining the situation it would be ok-

but they couldn't be sure and still recommended if poss visiting the local immigration office and getting a re-entry permit before departure -

so

i'm none the wiser really

will have to play it by ear-

thanks anyhow

I have always got a multiple re-entry permit at the same time as I renewed my Non-Imm B, it means a little more time and money at the immigration office. I did it because I knew I would be travelling at least twice a year, but also my parents are in their 80's and I knew if there was an emergency departure I would not have any hassle. Now there is no re-entry permit facility at the airport I would recommend all expats to consider this option their next visa renewal.

TVaddict good luck I hope you can get an emergency re-entry permit at the airport.

thanks

I've tried the immigration hotline- 1111

they were helpful - as much as they could be and said if i explained the emergency nature of the trip at the airport's immigration desk it would probably be ok- if i showed paper evidence - eg death certificate, hospital papers on return explaining the situation it would be ok-

but they couldn't be sure and still recommended if poss visiting the local immigration office and getting a re-entry permit before departure -

so

i'm none the wiser really

will have to play it by ear-

thanks anyhow

You could try calling this number for airport immigration listed on immigration website. 0-2325-7002

due to the way things have rapidly evolved in the UK i've decided to go to the imm office in the morning and then fly out at night-

i have a seat reserved

even if i went tonight I'd not get there in time to see her before she went in for the op with a 50/50 chance of survival- she's just gone in for that already-

fingers crossed

cheers once more-

by the way one thing i've realised from this is the need to have a good travel agent number (one that is open late) -

maybe thai visa could have a seperate section in the database it's compiling that shows travel agents that operate late at night- in cases such as mine it really would be useful