texting while driving

While this was not filmed in Thailand, I KNOW it is definitely Thai related

I do hope the Mods agree and let it run.

Go to any major thoroughfare here in Chiang Mai at about 3PM , wait 5 minutes and I guarantee you will see 5 of the super intelligent surrounding us, driving and using the hand phone in some fashion.

It should be mandatory that PARENTS AND THEIR YOUNG view the film and then take the Drivers Education classes so sadly lacking here. If and when they pass the course FOR REAL not BOUGHT, then and only then do are they allowed to get on the roadways ...And it should be double mandatory that the BIB ENFORCE THE LAW NOT JUST SIT UNDER THEIR BIG HAT at an intersection..

Each and everyday in this kingdom, wackos, destroy or ruin their own lives, and destroy others , who were just minding their own business and going to work or school.

But for heaven sakes " Don't make me learn something , for real"

Again Mods, I hope you let it be shown.

Gonzo

I agree anyone seen or caught TEXTING or TALKING on there cell phones while driving should have there licence revoked and fined very heavily :) . Not wanting or meaning to bash or call any particular group of people down but I see Thais, especialy women driving and talking on the phone all the time. You see more of them texting or talking than you see just driving and half of them cant walk and chew gum at the same time let alone drive and talk on the phone. :D

A recent study argues that mobile text/talk-driving is by far more dangerous than drunk-driving..

Still i guess there must be somebody multitask-trained who can happily text/drive while being totally drunk..

Edited by mauGR1

A recent study argues that mobile text/talk-driving is by far more dangerous than drunk-driving..

Still i guess there must be somebody multitask-trained who can happily text/drive while being totally drunk..

i saw on the news (Katie Couric) that texting-while-driving is 20x more likely to cause an accident than merely talking-while-driving. it's a no brainer. one thing i like about Thailand is i can pull the bike or car over just about anywhere to read and respond.

Not shocking at all, in fact not very realistic, the back seat passenger would have been through to the front of the car killing either the driver or passenger, if they are going to try and shock then atleast make it realistic.

Brigante7.

Edited by Brigante7

Not shocking at all, in fact not very realistic, the back seat passenger would have been through to the front of the car killing either the driver or passenger, if they are going to try and shock then atleast make it realistic.

Brigante7.

They were unable to make it any more realistic...... A Scotsman controlled the film budget. :)

There is an elegant and simple solution for the police, for those who are caught talking or texting while driving.

Take the phone, remove the SIM and give to the offender, and then seize the phone. No return, no excuses - gone forever.

Plus the ticket/fine/points, of course.

Driving instructor's should be training young people in the art of driving and phoning. People can talk to passengers whilst driving and all is well, but move the passenger to another location and add a cell phone for conversation and things get frizzy! I don't get it??? :)

While this was not filmed in Thailand, I KNOW it is definitely Thai related

I do hope the Mods agree and let it run.

Go to any major thoroughfare here in Chiang Mai at about 3PM , wait 5 minutes and I guarantee you will see 5 of the super intelligent surrounding us, driving and using the hand phone in some fashion.

It should be mandatory that PARENTS AND THEIR YOUNG view the film and then take the Drivers Education classes so sadly lacking here. If and when they pass the course FOR REAL not BOUGHT, then and only then do are they allowed to get on the roadways ...And it should be double mandatory that the BIB ENFORCE THE LAW NOT JUST SIT UNDER THEIR BIG HAT at an intersection..

Each and everyday in this kingdom, wackos, destroy or ruin their own lives, and destroy others , who were just minding their own business and going to work or school.

But for heaven sakes " Don't make me learn something , for real"

Again Mods, I hope you let it be shown.

Gonzo

It will change nothing people always think it wont happen to them, as for Thai drivers well many of them just dont think period!

It will change nothing people always think it wont happen to them, as for Thai drivers well many of them just dont think period!

I agree.

As much as I'm against cel phones when driving, or riding, they are a part of the modern world. Unfortunately, we can't create any law to prevent stupidity. Thais, for the most part, are horrible drivers.

Having access to a cel phone only ascerbates the problem.

Brigante7.

They were unable to make it any more realistic...... A Scotsman controlled the film budget. :)

LMFAO, very true, very true.

Brigante7.

Is that video also a warning to not drive your car with your eyes shut, and to drive on the correct side of the road? The driver she hit in the mondeo made no attempt to evade (yet managed to beep the horn), and the driver that crashed into her in the fiesta was driving on the wrong side of the road and made no attempt to stop.

Scottyd's evaluation: Everyone in the video should have died because they are all morons. Get out of my gene pool.

Edited by scottyd

Is that video also a warning to not drive your car with your eyes shut, and to drive on the correct side of the road? The driver she hit in the mondeo made no attempt to evade (yet managed to beep the horn), and the driver that crashed into her in the fiesta was driving on the wrong side of the road and made no attempt to stop.

Scottyd's evaluation: Everyone in the video should have died because they are all morons. Get out of my gene pool.

What an intelligent deconstruction of a video which was obviously made with a clear message in mind.

Based on the above, I would imagine your gene pool is a pretty empty place already. :)

• 4 weeks later...
Driving instructor's should be training young people in the art of driving and phoning. People can talk to passengers whilst driving and all is well, but move the passenger to another location and add a cell phone for conversation and things get frizzy! I don't get it??? :)

You don't get it? Perhaps you should try harder? The statistics speak for themselves.

Edited by Bearnagh

As an ex driving instructor, allow me to enlighten your ignorance.

When talking to someone else in the vehicle with you, you subconsciously know that they can see what is going on around you, and so, without realising you are doing it, you give more attention to what is happening outside the vehicle and so pause the conversation when something outside the vehicle requires your full attention.

However, when talking to someone on the phone you, again without realising you are doing so, give more attention to the conversation and less to what is happening outside the vehicle, so can easily miss something and have an accident.

In the UK, using a hand held phone whilst driving is illegal, but a hands free is not; even though the above is just as true when using a hands free.

As for texting whilst driving, surely only a complete moron would consider that this is safe? Would anyone with an ounce of intelligence read a book or write a letter while driving?

But every day in the UK I see people driving their cars whilst talking on a hand held mobile and also whilst texting!

Unfortunately, when these people have their accident it is most likely not to be themselves they remove from the gene pool, but some innocent passerby.

As an ex driving instructor, allow me to enlighten your ignorance.

When talking to someone else in the vehicle with you, you subconsciously know that they can see what is going on around you, and so, without realising you are doing it, you give more attention to what is happening outside the vehicle and so pause the conversation when something outside the vehicle requires your full attention.

However, when talking to someone on the phone you, again without realising you are doing so, give more attention to the conversation and less to what is happening outside the vehicle, so can easily miss something and have an accident.

In the UK, using a hand held phone whilst driving is illegal, but a hands free is not; even though the above is just as true when using a hands free.

As for texting whilst driving, surely only a complete moron would consider that this is safe? Would anyone with an ounce of intelligence read a book or write a letter while driving?

But every day in the UK I see people driving their cars whilst talking on a hand held mobile and also whilst texting!

Unfortunately, when these people have their accident it is most likely not to be themselves they remove from the gene pool, but some innocent passerby.

Beautifully put. I too have spent time as a driving instructor, albeit for motorcycles. I would add that a crucial difference between talking (either to a passenger or a caller on hands-free) and texting, is the obvious fact that texting takes your eyes and brain off the road for a dangerous percentage of the time. I guess it is due to such visual distraction and the dangers thereof, that TVs are banned from the dashboard of cars in the UK (although I have seen more and more of these creeping in lately).

Perhaps "BSJ" above really does believe he can give full 'due care and attention' to all the complex and constantly changing situations on the road ahead AND write text messages. He is most surely deluding himself however. Perhaps he also flies MIG-25s on his days off?

BTW - I understand that in addition to the handling of a mobile phone whilst driving, smoking whilst driving is to be the next thing to be outlawed in the UK. Does anyone know if this is true?

Whether it's texting while driving or operating a train, carrying on a loud conversation in a restaurant, or having the thing going off repeatedly in a movie theater, the seemingly harmless invention called a cell phone has graphically illustrated just how stupid much of the population of the World is. Amazing thing is that when they first came out (I'm old enough to remember) they seemed so harmless.

Whether it's texting while driving or operating a train, carrying on a loud conversation in a restaurant, or having the thing going off repeatedly in a movie theater, the seemingly harmless invention called a cell phone has graphically illustrated just how stupid much of the population of the World is. Amazing thing is that when they first came out (I'm old enough to remember) they seemed so harmless.

Yes... I tend to agree but when you need them, you really need them eh?

DVD Screens are even more dangerous. Schould not have any DVD Screens in the frontpassenger seats in any vehicles. Doesn't make sense to have 6 air bags and have DVD Screens in the car. How crazy is this?

It's amazing that some of the big electronics manufacturers are irresponsible enough to make dvd players and screens as a single unit with the car radio and therefore specifically designed to be put in the dashboard of a car. Human stupidity and greed know no limits.