Kawasaki Boss Valve Adjustment

sk1max

I've also been searching for a manual but there's no English version available, I guess because the Kawasaki boss is typical Thai made, and was only meant for the Thai market, if there's a manual it'll be in Thai. Due to very bad experiences with Thai mechanics I prefer to do as much as possible myself and if you ask one of these mechanics about the valve clearance specs, all of a sudden they don't understand you anymore.

Edited by Frenske

In the US market, Kawasaki sells the 125 Eliminator. It appears that the bike is almost identical to the Boss. Although the engine is a different displacement, it does look the same and I would think that the valve adjustment procedure would be the same. The actual valve clearance specs may be different, though.

You may be able to find a service manual in English for the Kawasaki 125 Eliminator.

post-41898-1252602535_thumb.jpg

Anyone know the procedure to adjust the valves on a 175 Boss? Like to do it myself. Thanks

I'd take it to the Kawasaki shop and watch them do it. You can do it yourself the next time. Find the proper clearances and get a set of feeler gages. I'd guess that the hardest part is getting it apart to get to the rocker arms.

Anyone know the procedure to adjust the valves on a 175 Boss? Like to do it myself. Thanks

I'd take it to the Kawasaki shop and watch them do it. You can do it yourself the next time. Find the proper clearances and get a set of feeler gages. I'd guess that the hardest part is getting it apart to get to the rocker arms.

I think thats easy enough ,just take off the gas tank ,and the rocker cover .Yes he will need feeler gauges ,and the vavles will need to be fully open ( there usually is a marker on the rotor to determin this .) .

According to a mechanic the valve clearance for Kawasaki Boss is 0,10mm (for both valves). I'll have a go and see what happens. If the bike runs fine or gets destroyed i'll let you know.

I found the manual for an eliminator on line, looks just the same as a Boss but it's a 125cc http://www.scribd.com/doc/9571792/Eliminat...5-English-eBook you can read it but can't download, very useful interesing.

According to a mechanic the valve clearance for Kawasaki Boss is 0,10mm (for both valves). I'll have a go and see what happens. If the bike runs fine or gets destroyed i'll let you know.

Both valves must be totally closed, NOT open. Take the spark plug out and you can easily turn the engine over without fighting compression. I'd double check the valve clearances, .1 mm is VERY tight. Some engines specify a wider clearance for the exhaust valve because it gets hotter than the intake valve. For both valves to be closed, the piston will be coming up towards top dead center. 360 degrees from the correct position will have the exhaust valve fully open. That is not a two stroke so that means it fires every other revolution.

An old trick is to hold a long shanked screwdriver to the rocker cover and stick your ear on the end (Plastic handle) to listen to the noise of the tappets. It is a steady whirring noise if all is well. Like little hammers if the tappets are loose. If loose adjust em, if not leave em alone!

PS: You could spend 5 bucks and get a mechanics stethoscope like I've been using for the last 30 years. Which is much better than a screwdriver!

Both valves must be totally closed, NOT open. Take the spark plug out and you can easily turn the engine over without fighting compression. I'd double check the valve clearances, .1 mm is VERY tight. Some engines specify a wider clearance for the exhaust valve because it gets hotter than the intake valve. For both valves to be closed, the piston will be coming up towards top dead center. 360 degrees from the correct position will have the exhaust valve fully open. That is not a two stroke so that means it fires every other revolution.

You are so right ,they need to be closed not open ,unlike a Pattaya maiden . :)

• 2 years later...

As far as the 125 book, it can be downloaded, you just have to be willing to upload something to the site as well and then you have 24 hours to get it for free...or you can pay if you want. I uploaded a free ebook I had and was able to get it right away! :-)