Question About Extending A 30 Day Stay

I did a search and I would like to know if the information I found is still current.

A friend is here with a German passport and he got 30 days (no visa) when he arrived. He would like to stay longer. I read that you can go to immigration and get a 7 day extension for 1900 baht. Is this still the case?

His 30 days is up on the weekend, I am guessing that immigration is closed, if he went on Friday would he get 7 days from Friday or a 7 day extension from expiry of his 30 days?

Yes, he can get a 7 day extension but most immirgation offices require that he shows a ticket out of the country within those 7 days. The extension would be from the date his current permission to stay ends.

If he just leaves the country at a landborder and return to Thailand he would get a new permission to stay for 15 days.

I did a search and I would like to know if the information I found is still current.

A friend is here with a German passport and he got 30 days (no visa) when he arrived. He would like to stay longer. I read that you can go to immigration and get a 7 day extension for 1900 baht. Is this still the case?

His 30 days is up on the weekend, I am guessing that immigration is closed, if he went on Friday would he get 7 days from Friday or a 7 day extension from expiry of his 30 days?

He should be able to get a 7 day extension, but make sure he takes a confirmed airflight ticket with him (obviously with the flying date within the 7 day limit).

Normally the 7 days should be added onto the current expiry of his stay, not 7days counting from applying for the extension...

Thanks for the quick replies.

Thanks for pointing out the need for the return ticket as well. His return ticket is for Oct 7 and he was going to change it to go back earlier anyway. He was trying to decide how to extend his stay and he was thinking of going to Mae Sai to get 15 days, and then changing his ticket to fit that.

He was the one that mentioned going to immigration to ask about his options but I figured it would be easier to search here for the answer rather than going to immigration.

If he does a border run he will need to change his ticket before going.

Assuming you are talking about coming weekend (12/13 September), then his ticket (7 Oct) would still be outside the 15 day stamp he should get.

He stands a fair chance of the immigration officers not letting him enter at a land border point unless he can get his ticket changed so his departure day falls within the 15 day time-span...

I don't recall any reports of somebody being asked to show a ticket out of the country at any border crossing other than one crossing from Cambodia that was scalping people for a 200 baht bus ticker.

Even by air immigration seldom if ever asks it always the airlines that ask for that.

Assuming you are talking about coming weekend (12/13 September), then his ticket (7 Oct) would still be outside the 15 day stamp he should get.

He stands a fair chance of the immigration officers not letting him enter at a land border point unless he can get his ticket changed so his departure day falls within the 15 day time-span...

Yes, this coming weekend. I went to Mae Sai last year and went across for shopping. I had no visa and was not asked to show a ticket. I know they always have the option of asking for a return ticket so are you saying "better safe than sorry" or is there something new that they are asking at land borders for onward travel?

Yes, this coming weekend. I went to Mae Sai last year and went across for shopping. I had no visa and was not asked to show a ticket. I know they always have the option of asking for a return ticket so are you saying "better safe than sorry" or is there something new that they are asking at land borders for onward travel?

Nothing new AFAIK, but indeed better safe then sorry. They did ask for it for a while, but as UbonJoe mentioned its was more a trick for selling bus tickets!

He'll have to change his ticket anyway, and he knows he'll get exactly 15 days when re-entering the country so might just as well get it over with before his border run.

I'd recommend your freind to go home and give the 7 day extension a miss,and come back another time with a longer visa than 30 days if applicable in Germany, my reasoning for this is that you used to get a 14 o.r 15 day extension for the same price at immigration, shortly after the airport closure due to demonstrations some idiot IMO decided to change the rules and make it a 7 day visa only .which meant if you wanted a longer extension you had to go on a visa run to cambodia or elsewhere.

What lunacy , tourism in crisis and the Thais make it harder for tourists to stay in Thailand and spend money which is much needed for a dwindling economy.

Just my baths worth, but my days of going to immigration or on a visa run are over for ever, when my visa runs out, thats me gone from Thailand, maybe I'll fly to the Phillipenes or Singapore ect but I sure aint wasting my time on Immigration or visa runs.