Adsl Internet During Power Outage

mattcodes

If I buy a UPS for my ADSL modem and PC will my Internet continue to function during a power outage. They are fairly frequent on Samui.

I thinking probably not since a lot of the ADSL networking equipment is installed (miniature versions) on the telephone lines themselves so I make presumption that these dont have redundant power? Someone correct me so I can go buy a new toy :)

FYI, TTTMax Premier 2mb

If I buy a UPS for my ADSL modem and PC will my Internet continue to function during a power outage. They are fairly frequent on Samui.

I thinking probably not since a lot of the ADSL networking equipment is installed (miniature versions) on the telephone lines themselves so I make presumption that these dont have redundant power? Someone correct me so I can go buy a new toy :)

FYI, TTTMax Premier 2mb

Probably/

Of course your medem and router if you have one must be powered from the UPS

All decent Telcos have their own emergency power for power outages so that should not be a problem,. But then again TIT

Why not go and buy that new toy anyway? You know you deserve it :D and it will also protect your valuable PC from power surges and spikes.

Edited by thaimite

FYI, TTTMax Premier 2mb

In Bangkok, TRUE stays up during power outages, and since all our routers and AP's here are on UPS, laptops continue to work for about 6 hours until the UPS battery runs down.

@danw: Maxnet is working out perfectly for my needs, Im on 2mb and although the signal to noise ratio on the line is terrible for 2mb it can manage without losing sync, I can download torrent, http, newsgroup at full throttle all day without involving intermediate proxies, so far so good.

I think I'll take the plunge as local bannana IT are selling basic UPS for 2100 baht

good luck with the ups here in thailand; I've gone through 2 UPSs in 2 years... they seem to die in smoke, even after about 2 years!

Never had this problem with USA made UPSs... but knowing Thai QC / design quality with electronics... not a big surprise, really...

good luck with the ups here in thailand; I've gone through 2 UPSs in 2 years... they seem to die in smoke, even after about 2 years!

Never had this problem with USA made UPSs... but knowing Thai QC / design quality with electronics... not a big surprise, really...

In defence of the Thais, these likely came from China. They only buy crap electronics, very little of it is made locally. It's shocking (pun intended) what you can get away with selling in Thailand.

I'm using UPS for my Computer and all peripherals including modem and router. My Maxnet Internet is working even during power fail.

About other problems around UPS: To be safe you have to connect your device to ground potential correctly. Otherwise the UPS will not protect you from electrical surge and maybe in case of a lightning it is the last day not only of all your equipment but even the UPS itself. Because most wall plugs in Thailand have no ground pin, you must find a way for this. Maybe but not sure the case of your Aircon is grounded.

I have used a cheap (Bright) UPS for about 6 years without a problem (other than battery replacement). A second unit children used for several years without a problem until they changed to laptops. It needs a new batter but am sure it would still work.