Bangkok To Chiang Mai By Car.how Long Does It Take?

bkkc1976

Hello.

google maps telling me 12 hours?

and about 7 hours to sukhotai?

i have to go up north in november with a few people and would like to know how long it really takes to this 2 destinations!

thanks

regards

Depend on how fast you drive and how many time you stop at benzine station, also traffic.

I leave from Bangkok at 11:30-12:00 o'clock and arrive in Chiangmai at 18:00 o'clock , so take time about 6.30 hours, non stop (I drive alone, approx. 120 km/hour) but I did not pass Sukhotai and I do not know how many hours take time to go there.

It depends a little on the time of day as well, specifically while close to Bangkok where traffic can be heavy.

I think 8 hours is a reasonable average to expect, given you stop occasionally for fuel or to grab a quick bite to eat. My best time is 7 hours (driving alone), but it may also take 9 hours if you have to (want to) stop more often, or take it easy.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

> google maps telling me 12 hours?

> and about 7 hours to sukhotai?

If you pass Sukhothai then that means a detour.. Fastest route is just Bangkok - Nakhon Sawan - Kamphaeng Phet (also an interesting historical town) - Tak - Lampang - Chiang Mai.

Driving to Sukhothai from Bangkok will be something like 4-5 hours I guess.

I agree with Winnie, best time ive done it is 6hrs 45 mins alone and setting off from BKK at 6.30am, average is around 7hrs 30mins with fuel stops etc, I usually have a drink in the car rather than stopping for 15-20 mins though. The route that Winnie has stated is by far the quickest.

Most people I talk to are around 7-8 hours depending on where you leave from, time of day, how fast you go, etc...

By myself, I got from Suvarnabhumi to downtown Chiang Mai in about 6 1/2 hours last week, but that's moving fast with only 2 stops.

Do not miss the Nakhon Sawan bypass. It is clearly marked on your left before you reach the city in English, but missing it can add a substantial amount of time to your trip as I've found in the past. :)

Edited by mnbcm

I'd concur with around 6 hours from the outskirts of Bangkok to Chiang Mai, plus however long it takes to get from you are in Bangkok to where the highway starts to look like a highway rather than another clogged Bangkok road (not far from Ayuthaya sometimes!)

I'd also agree with making sure you bypass Nakhon Sawan or add another 30-45 mins.

This time includes a fueling stop and about 3 stops for toilet, buy a coffee etc, but no meals