Pm Orders New Arrangement Of Satellite Aerial Map

george

PM orders new arrangement of satellite aerial map

BANGKOK: -- Thailand’s Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has ordered the start of a project to establish a new satellite aerial map of Thailand.

The aerial map will be taken from a satellite with the ratio of 1 to 4,000.

It will be used by all government ministries to help plan development programmes and provide clear geographical information.

Many ministries had planned their own aerial maps, but will now work together to establish the single map after discussions with the prime minister on Monday, the newly appointed Deputy Agriculture and Cooperatives Minister, Newin Chidchob told TNA.

The project is expected to cost 5-6 billion baht and should be completed within the next six months, said Mr. Newin.

The aerial map will improve the government’s effectiveness, including the issuing of land ownership documents, predicting natural disasters especially flooding, managing the water resources in the country’s 25 rivers.

--TNA 2005-03-15

PM orders new arrangement of satellite aerial map

BANGKOK: --  Thailand’s Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has ordered the start of a project to establish a new satellite aerial map of Thailand.

The aerial map will be taken from a satellite with the ratio of 1 to 4,000.

It will be used by all government ministries to help plan development programmes and provide clear geographical information.

Many ministries had planned their own aerial maps, but will now work together to establish the single map after discussions with the prime minister on Monday, the newly appointed Deputy Agriculture and Cooperatives Minister, Newin Chidchob told TNA.

The project is expected to cost 5-6 billion baht and should be completed within the next six months, said Mr. Newin.

The aerial map will improve the government’s effectiveness, including the issuing of land ownership documents, predicting natural disasters especially flooding, managing the water resources in the country’s 25 rivers.

--TNA 2005-03-15

Just so no one missed the fine print, I enlarged the portion of this article that gives the real reason why they are doing this.... and especially why a snake like Newin is involved.

Fat Cat: "According to the latest satellite photos, my property line extends through here"

Farmer: "But my family has worked this land for 4 generations"

Fat Cat: "That's all in the past. With this new technology, it's clearly my land and I want you off my property"

They paid for them. They keep them. No surprise there. It used to be that Topo maps were restricted to governmental use due to security concerns, but that's not the case anymore. But it is part of the reason why it's still difficult sometimes to get good maps here, perhaps...

Don't expect to see these new maps on bookshelves any time soon.  Once the army gets into the act, they will be restricted to government agencies only.  Guaranteed!

Wealthy landowners will have them at their disposal as it's going to be the main function of the mapping process. It's certainly not for any secret military purposes, what with threat of a repeat Burmese invasion not likely during this century. I know Thailand will never forget Ayuthaya, but the Thai army is well prepared this time around.

They paid for them. They keep them. No surprise there. It used to be that Topo maps were restricted to governmental use due to security concerns, but that's not the case anymore. But it is part of the reason why it's still difficult sometimes to get good maps here, perhaps...

I've gotten some great topo maps of the surrounding area in differing scales from a local governmental office, but agree... if you don't know where to go, they aren't readily available. I only stumbled upon them while visiting a friend's office and asked for a copy.

Possible in Stanfords in London (or visit their web-site) but for really good maps, find a friend in the US Corps of Engineers. The whole world has been mapped by satellite to the nth degree, it's just that most maps are still relatively restricted.