Shaft Driven

jpolten

In the past i had many old BMW boxers .With shaft drive it saves oiling and having to reajust chain tension .A shaft does not spray oil about on your bike .A chain can break and leave you stranded ,where as i never had anything go wrong with the BMW shaft drive .A chain and sprockets also have a limited life .

Shaft drive looses you about 10% power though .Probably the best thing to have is an O ring chain .

Edited by Thaifan2

In the past i had many old BMW boxers .With shaft drive it saves oiling and having to reajust chain tension .A shaft does not spray oil about on your bike .A chain can break and leave you stranded ,where as i never had anything go wrong with the BMW shaft drive .A chain and sprockets also have a limited life .

Shaft drive looses you about 10% power though .Probably the best thing to have is an O ring chain .

A shaft drive is indestructible. It will never break and leave you stranded on the side of the road. It is also a very smooth type of drive. The disadvantages are that it makes a distinctive sound, like a sewing machine, it does in fact lose more power to the wheel than any other transmission, and there's no way to modify it. On the chain drives you can change the sprokets and stuff to the way you like it. Shaft drive, you are stuck at whatever the factory settings are.

FWIW, there are some issues with shaft driven motorcycles. As Peaceblondie pointed out; they're not indestructible, but darn close. Also, you're rotating a mass off the centre line of your vehicle; not necessarily the best thing to do to preserve handling. The added weight of both the shaft and the tunnel are also there. Furthermore, returning to the spinning mass, it can actually 'jack' your motorcycle under serious riding. Note that these aren't big problems, but for performance motorcycles a shaft drive ain't. On an adventurer-tourer they're great though.....

Never owned or know anything about Shaft Driven bikes...........

Can anyone tell me the advantages/disadvantages owning a shaft driven compared to chain/belt?

Thanks

Other posters have spoken the truth. All I can add is that over my life in the U.S. I owned many chain-drivens cycles, then got my first shaft-driven BMW. Despite the few detriments mentioned by others (slight loss of power, can't modify, etc.), the joy of no filthy chain to lubricate, clean, adjust and relplace and no filthy rear rim was enough to make me NEVER want to go back to a chain. If you have had chain-driven cycles in the past, a shaft may make you happy -- or not.

As for belt drives, great on the highway, but if you like to occasionally leave the road, a flying rock can remove your belt and cause grief beyond measure. I am afraid of a belt for that reason.

But here I am in the Land of High Import Taxes and, alas, cannot afford to fork out one million baht for a shaft . . .

Never owned or know anything about Shaft Driven bikes...........

Can anyone tell me the advantages/disadvantages owning a shaft driven compared to chain/belt?

Thanks

I v had shaft drive on a VTX 1800cc v-twin. No maintance and almost impossible to destroy. Great on choppers and touringbikes.

But you loose some feeling with your rearwheel, and I wouldnt want it on a sportsbike. I like the direct feeling of chain and sprockets on my Ninja 650R. Besides its heavy, so not fit for sportsbike where weight is essential.

Thanks for the replies and advice!

From a previous topic i started about HD and the crazy prices they have in thailand got me looking at the Suzuki Intruder (shaft driven) and with

no experience with cruisers i just though I'd ask!

Been riding sports bike's since my teens,but i don't think Thailand is the place for one(I'd give myself six months or less) because as we all know

about the roads and driving there,and i also like to ride them like they're supposed to be ridden :D

:D i miss my 954 blade :)

A shaft drive is indestructible. It will never break and leave you stranded on the side of the road. It is also a very smooth type of drive. The disadvantages are that it makes a distinctive sound, like a sewing machine, it does in fact lose more power to the wheel than any other transmission, and there's no way to modify it. On the chain drives you can change the sprokets and stuff to the way you like it. Shaft drive, you are stuck at whatever the factory settings are.

A mate of mine had the only XS1100 in the UK that managed to snap the drive shaft.

Yamaha could not explain why and replaced it even though it was out of warranty.

All his friends knew it was the way he wound it up to 8000 revs, dumped the clutch and popped a quarter mile wheelie!

Thanks for the replies and advice!

From a previous topic i started about HD and the crazy prices they have in thailand got me looking at the Suzuki Intruder (shaft driven) and with

no experience with cruisers i just though I'd ask!

Been riding sports bike's since my teens,but i don't think Thailand is the place for one(I'd give myself six months or less) because as we all know

about the roads and driving there,and i also like to ride them like they're supposed to be ridden :D

:D i miss my 954 blade :)

have a look at kawasakis 900 with beltdrive, like 450k as I recall, in the kawasaki showrooms, with legal book and warranti from kawasaki thailand

The shaft drive is an additional expense when you buy a new bike, but it saves you a lot in years to come. Chains, sprocketts, sprays... Greasy rims and all that mess. The factory MZ handbook recommends cooking the chain in thick oil :) That was at a time when the GDR and the Berlin Wall still existed.

PeaceBlondie: the BMW factory is in Berlin, Prussia not Bavaria. And I read about a BMW 193 hp supersports bike being released for the U.S. market soon. For below $ 15,000.

For me, it's a bit like "refilling ink jet printer cartridges", incredibly messy. That's me, no doubt. Still, can't say I like chains

Chris

I have had two shaft drive bikes, a BMW and a Honda. Both totally trouble free, smooth and quiet. If you are really pouring the coal to it, the back of the bike will raise a little but it's not that noticeable or a problem.