Having A Bicycle In Thailand

Portlandstone

Am possibly moving to Thailand. Have a way of bringing my tall size mountain bike.

Are bikes useful in Thailand? More useful in the countryside, small towns, or big cities?

If I don't bring it with me, is there a decent selection of taller sized mountain bikes at affordable prices, meaning under $200 usd? Likewise, if I have a mountain bike can they be transported around on bus or train (i.e. no policies against that?)

Bring your own bike with you!

There are lots of 'local' built ?mountain? bikes, heavy, hard.

Imported bikes can be bought - at a large mark-up for import duty, shipping etc. You would be very lucky to find anything ride-able, your size and new for under US$200.

Yes, they are very useful in the countryside (I live in the sticks) and in the medium sized towns in my province. Worth bringing rear pannier bags with you if you like to cycle to do the shopping! - Beware - you could easily become lazy and take to motorcycles like the locals!

I brought a road bike and mountain bike with me when moving. Not exactly custom made 'velodrome' wheels, but they were decent 'off the peg' bikes I owned in the UK, and used daily there.

Yes, they can be transported around on the train - in the goods compartment with the train guard/conductor.

Never tried it on the buses, but I guess if it can fit into the caverns beneath the passesnger compartments, it can be transported.

Enjoy your cycling in Thailand.

Am possibly moving to Thailand. Have a way of bringing my tall size mountain bike.

Are bikes useful in Thailand? More useful in the countryside, small towns, or big cities?

If I don't bring it with me, is there a decent selection of taller sized mountain bikes at affordable prices, meaning under $200 usd? Likewise, if I have a mountain bike can they be transported around on bus or train (i.e. no policies against that?)

I have 3 bicycles in my homecountry,but I did not bring them to Thailand,instead I bought a Trek 4400(size 19) at Probike in Bangkok for 12500 baht(now about 16000),buy in december and you can get 10/15% reduction.I have put the pedals of my racingbike on the Trek.I have transported the bike with train and bus,for the bus I took out the wheels and attached them to the frame,so the wheels protect the frame and the bike is much smaller.

I assume having a bike in the smaller towns/villages would be quite useful/cheap. However I dont see many people riding bicycles here in Bangkok (not in the city center at least) so I assume this is for a reason. With as hot and polluted as it is here on the traffic-packed streets I don't think biking is a healthy lifestyle any longer...

All depends where you live?

Center of Bangkok forget it

anywhere else

I have a Trek 4300 bought off another Forum member

very light and fast NOT for serious abuse but brilliant for getting around

and use it every day I am in Thailand 30 to 40 miles a day

MUST HAVES FOR CYCLING ANYWHERE ARE :-

Good quality helmet

wrap around sunglasses (2 prs 1 pair for daytime and one nearly clear pair for nigh time

A very good set of bright lights with quick release type fittings

Hi-vis vest ( I have a Karrimor one for runners XXL size and put it over my back pak)

a strong and secure combination locking cable that fits both front and rear wheels

a riding crop to attach with velcro to the x-bar for the soi dogs (or the bar 2 legged ones :) )

panniers are a good idea but I find an expandable back pak to be far more usefull and secure

if you do get the panniers get a pair of Pak-safe stainless steel luggage protectors

here's a link to give you an idea

I have 2 sets of this and is invaluable in preventing thefts from the bags

have used these on a train to secure my ruck sack to the seat frame all zip up pockets tie wrapped

and in many hotels around the world secure round your back pack / suitcase secure the something bolted/fixed down and secure for days

pacsafe

be just as worried about thieves at night especially in the out lying areas as for drunken farangs that throw half full water bottles at you

taking your front wheel out cheers you Rangers w#nkers Lake Mabprachan eastern shore Dec 2008

So always wear your helmet and take care

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies. Made it over fine. Was able to get "sporting equipment" rate with Air Asia which was good (about $17 USD), but was disappointed that my light bicycle, which I can carry with one finger wrapped around the top frame bar, was actually nabbed for 6 kilos overweight and therefore went well above $15 usd. No real complaints but you can see AirAsia is adamant about every single kilo, I guess they should be as their fares are low, but I really don't think of my bike as 'overweight.' This was flying out of Vietnam, a place with a reputation for penny grabbing.

A quick addition (using the edit feature): I've noticed plenty of people on bicycles around Bangkok. Some only look like they are on a solo short ride, going to the store and back to home, but have also seen small teams of cyclists and the like. Question, are drivers in Bangkok thoughtful of bicyclists to some degree, or are those riders completely playing with fate?

Edited by Portlandstone

Question, are drivers in Bangkok thoughtful of bicyclists to some degree, or are those riders completely playing with fate?

I have been working up my nerve to buy a bicycle in Bangkok. I have just about made the decision to buy one now. I drive a motorcycle and watch the many cyclists make their way through central Bangkok. It seems that the cars and motorcyclists generally defer to the bicyclists. You still need a lot of nerve to ride one, but if you have the nerve you will probably be safe. Although Thai drivers will come closer to other vehicles than I was used to in America, they will almost always stop before they collide. There are bike lanes in several places, but they are used more as motorcycle lanes than bicycle lanes. Cars do stay out of them, except for the ones parked there.

A friend of mine was hit on Sathorn Road on his bicycle, as he was crossing to the center lane for a U-turn. The motorcyclist said he didn't see him. Fortunately my friend was not hurt seriously.

I would recommend flashers on front and rear, because if others see you they will most likely stop for you.

Edited by peridot