Driving In Thailand

Neeranam

I have been driving here for a while now and still don't know how to say, "after you", or "come on, I am letting you go!" What I do is stick my arm out the window, if open, and wave them. I am surprised that Thai people don't seem to do this as much as westerners(not that surprised though). I understand the little guys in their new toyota hilux vigo flashing their lights when cutting in front of you to turn right, as they think they own the road, but the normal car drivers??

In the Uk you flash your lights to tell people to go before you. Here it is the opposite. .

Does anyone know if there is such a signal?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I want somebody to go before me, I use the same signal I always used in Florida and they understand it easily: I simply point my left hand towards them from inside the car as if offering a handshake then move it side to side. This has worked for me every time. Hope it helps you. :o

When I want somebody to go before me, I use the same signal I always used in Florida and they understand it easily: I simply point my left hand towards them from inside the car as if offering a handshake then move it side to side. This has worked for me every time. Hope it helps you. 

Yeah, I try that one and it works, if they are looking. Not so at night. I thought that maybe there is something with the lights, like a very quick flash??

Although flashing the headlights is used in the UK to let people go before you, it is actually wrong. The flashing of headlights is a WARNING signal, so Thai people use this correctly. One of the few things they do right on the roads! Please don't encourage them to use flashing in the wrong way as we will be waiting at road juctions for weeks so they can make up their minds if it is being used as a warning or not. It's bad enough now having to wait while some-one turns right because they want to cut the corner and there's some-one on that corner also waiting to turn right. :o:D

In Three words DONT DO IT< Keep going, believe me it will end in greif. After driving here for 10 yrs, its worse than ever. They do not understand the Britt concept " After you" It confuses them, they will fall off the Bike, hit you, just keep going. I was taught, as you were the old way, "after you" but here it means nothing. The driving here gets worse, BIKES AND CARS never mix, its the worst thing I hate about Thailand. It seems worse here in The Far North, very Rural, and Bikes are a nightmare, no brains at all. So keep safe, but dont give way.

Yeah, I try that one and it works, if they are looking. Not so at night. I thought that maybe there is something with the lights, like a very quick flash??

You got me on that one...how to let them know you're giving them the go ahead when flashing the lights is generally accepted as a warning signal. Speaking of that, one thing that really bothers me here is how their lights are so bright...even the normal bulbs are like the high beam ones in the States. One thing they teach over there is to NEVER use them (under normal night conditions) within a certain distance of oncoming drivers on a two lane road. The distance specified is either 100 or 300 yards...probably 300. Unless you live in a very rural area over there, you hardly ever need high breams. The air is not as clear in Bangkok as in many other places, but those lights are terrible. All you can do is just try to divert your gaze away from them slightly.

Edited by Thaiboxer

Don't give way unless you've got a good reason to do so. Doing so while introducing strange new hand signals/gestures just for the sake of courtesy will only confuse them, and more importantly, ME! :o

Ref. headlights on pick-up trucks, are the beams set taking into consideraration that when heavily laden, the truck's front end is raised? Just curious.

Why would you want to do that?

The one who wants to go ahead should use his right turn signal before he steps on.

There may be many reasons that he still wants to be after you. For example, he likes to look the rear of your car, he might be talking on the phone, he tries to remember your licens plate number for it looks good or he is thinking of the next lotto, etc.

Actually, one way you can do it is to turn your left turn light on to signal him. This is understood by most Thai drivers. It is used mostly by truck drivers because they know that the car behind cannot see ahead. It is a signal that he will go slow and the road ahead is clear so you can pass him. You can ask him first by turning on your right turn signal and he will normally answer. But if he turns on his right turn signal, it means a car(s) is coming from the opposite direction.

Gazza,I don't think that the headlights on pickups are set like that. The pickups I've seen with extremely bright headlights have mainly been used as regular vehicles and thus have no weight in the back. If the truck had enough weight in the back to tilt the headlights far enough overhead the rear suspension would probably be destroyed. The pickups' greater height often puts the beams right at eye level if you're driving a car. Many SUV's, vans, minivans and regular cars have those irritating headlights.

Sometimes folks in the USA will fash their lights at you if you're driving with the high beams and it's causing problems for oncoming drivers. Since flashing lights is a warning signal over here, people should get the message but if their regular lights are that bad it would be even worse if they turned them off.

Actually, one way you can do it is to turn your left turn light on to signal him. This is understood by most Thai drivers. It is used mostly by truck drivers because they know that the car behind cannot see ahead. It is a signal that he will go slow and the road ahead is clear so you can pass him. You can ask him first by turning on your right turn signal and he will normally answer. But if he turns on his right turn signal, it means a car(s) is coming from the opposite direction.

Yeah, good point, but I would not trust them. I wait until I can see a clear road.

Gazza,I don't think that the headlights on pickups are set like that. The pickups I've seen with extremely bright headlights have mainly been used as regular vehicles and thus have no weight in the back. If the truck had enough weight in the back to tilt the headlights far enough overhead the rear suspension would probably be destroyed.

Some of the pick-ups that I've seen heavily over-laden have almost had the front wheels leaving the road, especially full songtaews. Just wondered that's all. :o

I have been driving here for a while now and still don't know how to say,  "after you", or "come on, I am letting you go!" What I do is stick my arm out the window, if open, and wave them.
Please,

don't do so; the right behaviour when you drive a car is not to confuse others, and always pay full attention what's happen in FRONT of you. Trust on it, normal drivers worldwide make it in that way. By the way, ''after you'' is very unthai :o .

Regards, Patex

When I want somebody to go before me, I use the same signal I always used in Florida and they understand it easily: I simply point my left hand towards them from inside the car as if offering a handshake then move it side to side. This has worked for me every time. Hope it helps you. :D

Works for me as well although I have taped down my middle finger for driving here. :o

I agree with the others. Take the right of way when it's yours, give it up when it's not. I don't even stop for pedestrians unless there is no traffic behind me, and even then, I've had people still wait for me to go first. Might is Right... Don't confuse it with politeness. Keep your actions simple and 'normal' :D

It's the bluffers that bug me the most... The ones that push the limits to see if you're really going to take your right of way. Like the guys wanting to cross a busy stree slowing edging into traffic to try to force someone to stop out of fear of hitting you. These guys get the lights and the horn for the clear message... And lots of bad vibes :o

Edited by Ajarn

Driving Etiquette - Thailand

The first rule of driving in Thailand is: Don't!

The second rule is: Don't!

The most incredible thing about driving in Thailand is that a people who are so lovely, friendly and forgiving turn into complete monsters when sitting in a car or complete idiots when sitting on a motorbike.

Actually driving in Thailand isn't quite so bad as its reputation would have you believe, but it still is not to be undertaken by the faint of heart.

more on link

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A923663

Driving Etiquette - Thailand

The most incredible thing about driving in Thailand is that a people who are so lovely, friendly and forgiving turn into complete monsters when sitting in a car or complete idiots when sitting on a motorbike.

Ahh.

You're the falang I was following, you saw it too uh?.

I've got to concur with the majority of replies on this too Neeranam.

Do not confuse others on the road and keep your driving style "normal".

If you have the right of way... take it, flsh your lights to let them know your intention to keep coming through and there will be no confusion. :o

And Ajarn, I'm with you on those "bluffers"... :D

But usually I find that they own beat up old pickups that are just hanging together with bits of wire and tape, so they don't really care if they have an accident. They's probably look forward to being hit by some rich falung in a nice new vehicle that could pay for repairs to their old wreck. :D

It's the bluffers that bug me the most... The ones that push the limits to see if you're really going to take your right of way. Like the guys wanting to cross a busy stree slowing edging into traffic to try to force someone to stop out of fear of hitting you. These guys get the lights and the horn for the clear message... And lots of bad vibes  :o

This behaviour also annoys me the most, especially as a motorbike rider myself. I always assume that a bluffer will cut me off. More often than not they don't, but you only have to guess wrong once about somebody's intentions while riding a motorbike to create a big problem for yourself.

Sometimes it makes sense to let someone go first or else the result would be a total jam.. Like clear one car out of the way to give me and oncoming traffic a clear lane; faster for everyone.

In such cases I nod and may also give a hand signal from inside the car 'come'. (Thai style of course so keeping your hand horizontal and then moving your hand down and towards yourself like a swimming motion; not the other way around)

I have been driving here for a while now and still don't know how to say,  "after you", or "come on, I am letting you go!" What I do is stick my arm out the window, if open, and wave them. I am surprised that Thai people don't seem to do this as much as westerners(not that surprised though). I understand the  little guys in their new toyota hilux vigo flashing their lights when cutting in front of you to turn right, as they think they own the road, but the normal car drivers??

In the Uk you flash your lights to tell people to go before you. Here it is the opposite. .

Does anyone know if there is such a signal?

I used to try to be nice, but I kept getting into lurching events (after you Alphonse. No, after you Gaston.) So now I just do like the Romans do.

Anybody remember a couple of years back when the Bangkok admin tried to get people to be polite using Buddhist principles like karuna, (compassion), etc. Went nowhere.

I think maybe the wise attitude to take is that if you try do battle with Thai culture, you're gonna lose. Okay, cars have only been around for a short while and maybe people can change, but look at the way they walk and you'll see that the same principles apply. Basically, they leap before they look.

You've obviously not been in Isarn during the rice harvest. Or Songkhran, come to that.

jayenram...I've never been in the Issan so I cannot comment on the rice harvesting but I have been in the South during Songkran and I've seen trucks carrying 55 gallon plastic drums full of water. Of course, this was during the day so no headlights there.:o

Many drivers here will flash their lights if they come up behind you very fast and they want you to move for them. What gets me is when they zoom up right on your tail and stay just inches from your bumper as if to intimidate you. Many times I would be happy to move for them but before I can get out of their way, they're riding my bumper. Drivers of SUV's and trucks tend to do this more often than those who drive regular cars. They have an attitude problem and think they own the road. Sometimes, I'll just stay where I am and make them wait...som non naa as they say in Thai.

Edited by Thaiboxer

And, I always thought that bowing your head till it bangs the steering was the universally accepted signal. :o

That one works, only if your car windows are heavily tinted, while oncoming drivers are wearing dark sunglasses as well. :D

I agree with the others. Take the right of way when it's yours, give it up when it's not. I don't even stop for pedestrians unless there is no traffic behind me, and even then, I've had people still wait for me to go first. Might is Right... Don't confuse it with politeness. Keep your actions simple and 'normal' 

It's the bluffers that bug me the most... The ones that push the limits to see if you're really going to take your right of way. Like the guys wanting to cross a busy stree slowing edging into traffic to try to force someone to stop out of fear of hitting you. These guys get the lights and the horn for the clear message... And lots of bad vibes

Thanks Ajarn for that, makes sense.

Those bluffers are a pain in the arse. What I do quite sometimes is stop right in front of them or slow down. I give them a honk and a funny look.

Amazing how normally polite, quiet people(even myself I must admit) transform when put behind a wheel.

How can people who are so unaffected by time and being late suddenly think that it is a matter of life and death that they stick to the bumper in front of them, not letting cars at a junction turn right?

I know I can't change the way the Thai driving system works, but I will have a bloody good try :o

As for walking, ha ha, how many times do Thai people walk into you?

Amazing how normally polite, quiet people(even myself I must admit) transform when put behind a wheel

Funny you mention that, because I feel I don't transform at all. I'm still The Ajarn on the road, too. The Best and Most Knowing driver, Lord Over All, The Final Word, etc., etc., and I illustrate my teaching points via lights, horns, and finger(s).. :D

Hey, I need a few fantasies in my life, na'?. :o

Edited by Ajarn