Pregnant Thai Woman Detained For Smuggling Cocaine

webfact

Pregnant Thai woman detained for smuggling cocaine

By Deutsch Presse Agentur

Kuala Lumpur - Malaysian police have detained a Thai woman for allegedly attempting to smuggle out more two kilogrammes of cocaine valued at 1.7 million ringgit (459,460 dollars), official news reports said Tuesday.

The 22-year-old suspect, who is two months pregnant, was detained Friday at a bus stop, after she had boarded a bus headed for the southern Thai city of Haatyai, Bernama news agency said.

Police discovered she had hidden the drugs in two photo frames, which were packed with her clothes, said Kuala Lumpur narcotics chief Kang Chez Chiang.

"We believe the woman flew from Bangkok to Johannesburg, South Africa, and then to Lima, Peru, to get the supply before flying into (Kuala Lumpur), and wanted to make her way to Thailand by land," Kang said.

He said police believe the woman was acting as a courier for an international drug ring, adding that the suspect would be charged with drug trafficking, which carries a mandatory death sentence if convicted.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/08/09

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pregnant Thai woman detained for smuggling cocaine

By Deutsch Presse Agentur

Kuala Lumpur - Malaysian police have detained a Thai woman for allegedly attempting to smuggle out more two kilogrammes of cocaine valued at 1.7 million ringgit (459,460 dollars), official news reports said Tuesday.

The 22-year-old suspect, who is two months pregnant, was detained Friday at a bus stop, after she had boarded a bus headed for the southern Thai city of Haatyai, Bernama news agency said.

Police discovered she had hidden the drugs in two photo frames, which were packed with her clothes, said Kuala Lumpur narcotics chief Kang Chez Chiang.

"We believe the woman flew from Bangkok to Johannesburg, South Africa, and then to Lima, Peru, to get the supply before flying into (Kuala Lumpur), and wanted to make her way to Thailand by land," Kang said.

He said police believe the woman was acting as a courier for an international drug ring, adding that the suspect would be charged with drug trafficking, which carries a mandatory death sentence if convicted.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/08/09

A sad story, indeed. Killing a pregnant woman might not stop the big business. A long way, did she really fly to Lima? 'We believe' doesn't mean a much to me. Two kilos cocaine in two frames? An International drug ring? Would they really send somebody to a country like that? Listen, there are too many questions.....

A well organized trip and IMHO not worked out by herself. She wasn't the big fish and I bet she had some company on that trip

I hope she will find some mercy in a Malaysian Court of Law... 22y... WHY do you throw your life away???

Well, she may/will receive the mandatory punishment under Malaysian law but I hope it will be commuted!

No meaning, just another life lost and will it change anything?

Based on the amount of drugs around, I would say it was easier now than at anytime to get drugs.

Surely there are better ways to deal with the problem than just punishment - the rewards are so high that people will continue to make and sell them.

To execute this women would be a far worse crime than anything she has done.

no death penalty for birds that are preggers in Malaysia. One of the few ways you can escape the hangman's noose.

really? one wold imagine if they want her there gonna get her one way or the other, cant stay pregnant forever. But you play with fire......

no death penalty for birds that are preggers in Malaysia. One of the few ways you can escape the hangman's noose.

Death sentences are carried out by hanging as provided in Section 281 of the Criminal Procedure Code.

There shall be no death sentence against a pregnant woman or a child.

source: WIKIPEDIA

Death sentences are carried out by hanging as provided in Section 281 of the Criminal Procedure Code.

It only means she will be hanged after giving birth?

I can not confirm if the information I just received is true and reliable -

under Malaysian law a pregnant woman can technically be sentenced to death

but this sentence is commuted automatically to life.

Wow great news - so instead of being executed, she will spend the rest of her life locked up, seperated from her child.

I am sure we will all sleep better knowing a 22 year old pregnant girl is safely locked behind bars - a joke and a very sad one at that.

Wow great news - so instead of being executed, she will spend the rest of her life locked up, seperated from her child.

I am sure we will all sleep better knowing a 22 year old pregnant girl is safely locked behind bars - a joke and a very sad one at that.

At least I will sleep better then when I had to think about how many life's she would have f_cked up with that 2 kg cocaine.

At least I will sleep better then when I had to think about how many life's she would have f_cked up with that 2 kg cocaine.

Strange, EVERYONE i spoke with who took it said it was one of their best moments in their whole lifes and now you say it f_ucks up lifes.

I´m confused now :) they all lie?

Strange, EVERYONE i spoke with who took it said it was one of their best moments in their whole lifes and now you say it f_ucks up lifes.

im gonna go out on a limb and say that the people that live under narcoterrorism rule ie. colombia, bolivia, peru ect would hardly agree with you that it is a harmless thing. Unless you consider the kidnappings, assinations, bombings, murders, tens if not hundreds of thousands of families destroyed in south america that directly relate to this product as something that they find amusing...i feel no pity for those stupid enough to allow themselves to be used as mules. We all have the option to choose our paths, some just let greed make the decision for them. This unfortunate incident has created a child as the real victim, whom will now have its life forever changed.. I bet the kid would have been much happier poor and with a mother than not.

What did you think they were going to say while stoned?   Why not try a relationship or something.  "one of the best moments in their whole life"  someone needs to get a life.

PS killing this poor girl won't stop people that think this way.

Edited by RKASA

It is indeed a sad story. I have a feeling there is more to this story than is being told so far. Certainly she had extreme pressure from some source and I doubt greed was a factor. Desperate people do desperate things. Not to be condoned or excused, but a 22 y.o. pregnant mule???...hopefully some mercy will be shown and the kingpins caught and punished.

I can not confirm if the information I just received is true and reliable -

under Malaysian law a pregnant woman can technically be sentenced to death

but this sentence is commuted automatically to life.

Or just delay the trial until she isn't pregnant.

Life in a Malaysian jail sounds like a death sentence anyway.

Edited by animatic

im gonna go out on a limb and say that the people that live under narcoterrorism rule ie. colombia, bolivia, peru ect would hardly agree with you that it is a harmless thing. Unless you consider the kidnappings, assinations, bombings, murders, tens if not hundreds of thousands of families destroyed in south america that directly relate to this product as something that they find amusing...i feel no pity for those stupid enough to allow themselves to be used as mules. We all have the option to choose our paths, some just let greed make the decision for them. This unfortunate incident has created a child as the real victim, whom will now have its life forever changed.. I bet the kid would have been much happier poor and with a mother than not.

Those people are under that duress for the reason that the drugs are illegal, not because the drugs are dangerous.

If the drugs was legal there wouldn't be the same issue with drug-barons and drug-wars, right?

Very sad indeed. I hope she doesn't recieve the death penalty.

As for her ruining other peoples' lives; 'adults' who take drugs really must take more resposibility for their problem. I don't take drugs simply because I don't want to. If no one is forcing you to take drugs but you do, and you completely mess up your life - Well then you are the biggest party to put the blame on.

How many drug users you know that were forced to take them ???

Same applies to alcohol etc - 99% + of people who use do so from their own free will - to lock up someone who is a simple mule makes no sense and is totally ineffective in reducing drug use.

I was under the assumption that death sentences were carried out a year after the birth of the baby. I know that is the case somewhere, but I don't remember if it was Malaysia.

They allow the mother to nurse the baby for a year, and then execute her.

The baby's first birthday is not such a joyous occasion under those circumstances.

How many drug users you know that were forced to take them ???

Same applies to alcohol etc - 99% + of people who use do so from their own free will - to lock up someone who is a simple mule makes no sense and is totally ineffective in reducing drug use.

Forced to take them? None.

An effective way to reduce drug use is legalizing and taxing soft street drugs and free drugs and state controlled programs for hardcore users.

Other ways on the "war of drugs" not work out for SURE and the drug lords still making huge amounts cash.

I was under the assumption that death sentences were carried out a year after the birth of the baby. I know that is the case somewhere, but I don't remember if it was Malaysia.

They allow the mother to nurse the baby for a year, and then execute her.

The baby's first birthday is not such a joyous occasion under those circumstances.

"such a joyous occasion" - did you really mean to say this?