Iphone 3gs Battery Life

nikster

Just got my new 3GS.

All my settings transferred over 1:1 from my 1G iPhone, just like you'd expect from Apple - everything was restored as before.

I charged the phone fully the first day, and on day 2 I was down to 10% battery - I found this pretty shocking because I had done only very light web surfing and email, and 2 or three calls - I basically did nothing with the phone. The old 1G iPhone lasted at least 5 or 6 days or even more when doing that little with it.

So I checked my settings. Push was off - push services are a huge drain on battery, but I need to keep it off anyways because I am on a limited 20 hours package and it would eat my internet time quickly too. But 3G was on. So I turned 3G off, and now battery life as before is restored. Seems even a little better than the 1G.

So just a tip, when in Thailand or another non-3G country, turn 3G off in the settings. I think the phone will otherwise constantly search for a 3G network, draining the battery. The iPhone assumes there's a 3G network (and in most countries in the world, there probably is... sigh...).

Another point of note, the iPhone does not work with AIS 3G. I confirmed this with a AIS salesperson in Chiang Mai. Different 3G frequencies. AIS 3G only works with the HTC Magic.

Edited by nikster

Hi

Its still very bad battery life, i think it is the worst on the market, mine dont even last 1 day, its OK to turn everything off but why have a iphone then, i need my mail all the time, my Omnia last forever with everything on, Apple should do better than this.

Hi

Its still very bad battery life, i think it is the worst on the market, mine dont even last 1 day, its OK to turn everything off but why have a iphone then, i need my mail all the time, my Omnia last forever with everything on, Apple should do better than this.

Well you can still turn off 3G as there is no 3G in Thailand, so turning that off will increase battery life for free.

You can also turn off push - you can still set it to check your mail automatically every 5 minutes. Push is only for @me.com mail accounts, and for some apps that use it as a background notification layer. So if you don't have a me.com mail account, and you don't use apps that need background notifications, you can turn push off.

I also noticed the 3 Gs battery life was not that good compared to the 3G , even with everything off. Anyway 2 days ago, the iphone ( one month old ) stopped working completely while I was listening music, 35 % battery life remaining, and I have not been able to recharge nor restart it. The battery became very hot for 15/20 minutes, then nothing ...

AIS also happily sold me a 3G subscription ( in Chiang Mai ) before I discovered irt was useless, I since reverted it to EDGE/ GPRS.

Phil

I also noticed the 3 Gs battery life was not that good compared to the 3G , even with everything off. Anyway 2 days ago, the iphone ( one month old ) stopped working completely while I was listening music, 35 % battery life remaining, and I have not been able to recharge nor restart it. The battery became very hot for 15/20 minutes, then nothing ...

Did you get a replacement phone?

I asked one of the AIS sales girls and was pretty surprised to hear her explain to me, in English, about the different GSM frequencies and how the one used by AIS is not supported on the iPhone. Geek girls... hot!! :)

Hi

Well you can still turn off 3G as there is no 3G in Thailand, so turning that off will increase battery life for free.

You can also turn off push - you can still set it to check your mail automatically every 5 minutes. Push is only for @me.com mail accounts, and for some apps that use it as a background notification layer. So if you don't have a me.com mail account, and you don't use apps that need background notifications, you can turn push off.

Hi Nikster

3G is already off i have push i need that, i am also on the net quiet a few times a day and still very bad, i bought a lifetrons just so i can charge on the go, but still iPhone have the worst battery life of the phones i have

http://www.lifetrons.ch/Products/Products-LT035E1.htm this will charge your phone at least 3 times, very good if your out in nowhere

Forgot: i do have a few apps i need to check a few times a day as well, and yes they update every time i use them

Edited by HDRIDER

Did you get a replacement phone?

Unfortunately, I bought my 3Gs on eBay from the US ( couldn't wait ), and I don't think I can exchange it here without a proper receipt, which I have asked from my vendor, but no answers so far... :)

I will try to have the battery replaced first, and if the damages are more extensive, probably buy a new one, as I still think it's the best phone I have ever owned. Only this time I will buy it here, from True if they have it in stock :D ... Or maybe the HTC Hero to test Android. I have upgraded my HTC Touch HD to WM 6.5 and I am not impressed, beautiful phone and screen, but WM just doesn't even come close to Iphone OS.

Phil

Little update: With 3G off and push off, the phone lasts as long or maybe longer than the 1G. That's with some twitter use, some email, web, calls, and sms. Note I said "some", I am not browsing for hours on end, more like maybe a few minutes each time. I charged 2 days ago, now battery is about 70% still, so this will go 5, 6 days.