Home Pro Chalong

tixe

Hi folks, I thought you may appreciate what happened to me two days ago whilst shopping at Home Pro in Chalong. I will try and keep the story brief.

Firstly, I went to buy a large outdoor fan. I decided on the Hatari 22 Inch Industrial model (2200Baht) as I've bought Hatari before and they've always worked well. All is good, paid, go home and set it up. It works but seems very slow...i watch it for a while and decide no, this is crap. I go back and explain, "no problem bring back and exchange" I do. They check the old one "no good", check another from a new box "no good". At last they say do I want the 'Display one'?? Yes I do, and take it home in my car (1km away). Install and turn on, the buttons/switches don't work. I take it back. By the way I'm very calm and not bothered too much. They exchange it again and check the 'new one' "okay". I go home.... this one is broken also. I go back. So after having 3 new fans within about a 2hour period I'm thinking that they're going to give me grief or at least think I'm a little dodgy. No. The manager came over and said: "We are very sorry Sir, please have a full refund and continue shopping with us or perhaps look elsewhere" I took the cash option and decided to buy a different model.

At the end of the day I just have to say that their customer service skills' were great, friendly, understanding and very helpful. It feels nice to pass on a happy story. By the way, the new Hatari is great.

Cheers.

Ok – I’ll give you the other side of the coin from Homepro:

I bought a new tap – faucet if you’re American.

When I opened the box at home, I discovered the filter was missing. I immediately brought it back to the shop. I was calm and undemanding and expected they would simply replace it with one of the others they had in stock. You must be kidding! They insisted they order a new filter from Bangkok and that I wait for “one week” until it arrived. I asked to speak to the manager. They told me he/she was in a meeting. Frustrated and, by this stage, furious, I left the shop – filterless. Ten minutes later, I returned to the shop, went round to the tap department and stole a filter from another box. Boy did it feel good!

Over the years, with the odd exception, I have found Homepro’s customer service, let’s say, somewhat lacking.

So you think it is great that they let you drive 3 times up and down and when they at last run out of fans they give you back your money because not doing so would make the thieves. :)

No, I don't. I was hot and slightly bothered but did think that they were doing their best. To be sure I could have 'asked' for a refund at anytime but did not. These were brand new fans, one would think you would get 1 out 3 to work. Anyway.

The best advice I ever got was smile and keep insisting but keep smiling. I did it once at Index for 45 minutes before I finally got mad (never mind their receipt said exchange or refund in Thai or English)

I like the homepro story. Who else in LOS has ever heard those words uttered?

Ok – I'll give you the other side of the coin from Homepro:

I bought a new tap – faucet if you're American.

When I opened the box at home, I discovered the filter was missing. I immediately brought it back to the shop. I was calm and undemanding and expected they would simply replace it with one of the others they had in stock. You must be kidding! They insisted they order a new filter from Bangkok and that I wait for "one week" until it arrived. I asked to speak to the manager. They told me he/she was in a meeting. Frustrated and, by this stage, furious, I left the shop – filterless. Ten minutes later, I returned to the shop, went round to the tap department and stole a filter from another box. Boy did it feel good!

Over the years, with the odd exception, I have found Homepro's customer service, let's say, somewhat lacking.

How'd you manage that? At no time am I ever 20 feet away from 5 home pro staff trying to look like they are doing something useful and hoping I don't try to speak English to them. There seems to be 500% to many staff there. Big difference from the Home Depot's of back home. Probably a labor requirement, and since staff is so cheap, they figure why not?

I met a friend in Homepro.

She left her keys in her motorbike by accident.

We went shopping, went for some food, then went to Rawai to drop off her new fan, then back to Homepro to pick up her motorbike. Thats when she realises she doesnt have her keys.

Quick word with the security guard and he has taken the keys into his kiosk. Only doing his job, i know, but honesty and politeness are good.

My friend tipped him 100b for safeguarding her keys. Hopefully he will continue in the same vein.

Maybe depends on the day of the week

I'm a big fan, when i moved here I made so many trips (no car, just bicycle - maybe they felt sorry for me) getting the things I needed for my rental bungalow.

Sometimes I found the swarming behaviour of staff a bit much, it seems 'just looking' is not an option - but overall I can't fault them for being helpful in terms of my requirements, bedding, towels, a bike lock, oil, bolts for the awning, some kitchen bits, a mixed lot.

And a question - re the 'swarming' - I'm guessing that the staff receive some form of commission in such places? I've shopped at the sports store in the same complex and felt they had clear 'lines of responsibility' as I was handed from one staff memebr to another with my 'want list' till i had it all.

Maybe depends on the day of the week

I'm a big fan, when i moved here I made so many trips (no car, just bicycle - maybe they felt sorry for me) getting the things I needed for my rental bungalow.

Sometimes I found the swarming behaviour of staff a bit much, it seems 'just looking' is not an option - but overall I can't fault them for being helpful in terms of my requirements, bedding, towels, a bike lock, oil, bolts for the awning, some kitchen bits, a mixed lot.

And a question - re the 'swarming' - I'm guessing that the staff receive some form of commission in such places? I've shopped at the sports store in the same complex and felt they had clear 'lines of responsibility' as I was handed from one staff memebr to another with my 'want list' till i had it all.

ha ha ha . There's definitely 'invisible' lines of responsibility. It can be fun (for 3 or 4 minutes) to continually step over the line, back and forth, back and forth.

I HATE the swarming. I usually just take earphones with me and quietly listen to music and try to ignore the swarms. They dont understand 'just browsing'.

That being said, when i've wanted specific things, they've certainly gone the extra mile to help me.

I needed 3 or 4 tins of a certain colour of paint, and they checked every single can until they found all the cans i needed. Took em ages ! Honestly, i dont think you'd get more than 'what we have is on the shop floor mate' in the UK (i.e. find it yourself)

I kinda like the attention in the shops. beats the dour surly lot you often get in the West.

I had a good...eventually...experience with Index. they replaced a TV unit that was damaged on delivery. Ok...had a bit of convincing to do to have them accept I didn't cause the scrapes. Like.....I wasn't there when you delivered and installed .. I was in Ireland. I arrived back today and found the damage. Overall I find this an exception to the other idiots who try to walk away.

I kinda like the attention in the shops. beats the dour surly lot you often get in the West.

I had a good...eventually...experience with Index. they replaced a TV unit that was damaged on delivery. Ok...had a bit of convincing to do to have them accept I didn't cause the scrapes. Like.....I wasn't there when you delivered and installed .. I was in Ireland. I arrived back today and found the damage. Overall I find this an exception to the other idiots who try to walk away.

Me too. My 3-4 trips a year are now down to nil. I haven't been back for 18 months and just today I again canceled my latest plans to go there. Instead I decided to tour the States and Europe...on my bike.

I'm kinda confused. In one thread you say you cancelled your plans to come back to Phuket and then you say you arrived today. Both statements were made today.

If you have a problem with HomePro, ask for the CS manager.

If you don't get satisfaction from the CS manager, ask for the Store manager.

The usual response is "he's in a meeting" that's usually BS.

Stand your ground without getting angry, eventually the manager will be contacted

and usually sort things out for you.

I've only had good experiences at one store, in Phet Kasem, I've not shopped in any other branches.

good luck. :)