Divorce In Thailand Questions

Ave

Two farang have finally decided to divorce in Thailand after getting married here a couple of years ago. I'm trying to help them do this smoothly by doing some research for them.

Should they have to return to the same amphur office they were married in or can they go to another one in Thailand? How much will it cost? I heard it's only a few hundred Baht. Do you think they will need a translator? Any info, gratefully received.

I would say it may be easier to divorce in the same Umphur they married as some Umphurs may not be familiar with Farangs divorcing.

I’d also recommend they take a translator with them and 2 witnesses. They need to communicate their reasons for divorce and confirm any financial agreements with the official.

Post #14 in this thread will give an idea of the procedure for a Farang/Thai divorce. I can’t see a Farang/Farang divorce being much different apart from the paperwork requirements. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Divorce-Thailand-t280556.html

Two farang have finally decided to divorce in Thailand after getting married here a couple of years ago. I'm trying to help them do this smoothly by doing some research for them.

Should they have to return to the same amphur office they were married in or can they go to another one in Thailand? How much will it cost? I heard it's only a few hundred Baht. Do you think they will need a translator? Any info, gratefully received.

Two Farangs?

Sounds like they`re doing this wholesale these days.

It all depends on, if their wife`s agree to the divorces, whether the wife`s have any financial claims against the husbands, are there children involved.

If so than it has to be carried through the civil court system in Thailand.

I would say it may be easier to divorce in the same Umphur they married as some Umphurs may not be familiar with Farangs divorcing.

I'd also recommend they take a translator with them and 2 witnesses. They need to communicate their reasons for divorce and confirm any financial agreements with the official.

Post #14 in this thread will give an idea of the procedure for a Farang/Thai divorce. I can't see a Farang/Farang divorce being much different apart from the paperwork requirements. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Divorce-Thailand-t280556.html

Thanks a lot Farma

I'll forward your info on to them

Two Farangs?

Sounds like they`re doing this wholesale these days.

It all depends on, if their wife`s agree to the divorces, whether the wife`s have any financial claims against the husbands, are there children involved.

If so than it has to be carried through the civil court system in Thailand.

They have 'both' agreed to get a divorce. It's not to do with money, more with closing a chapter and moving on. :)

Something else to research. A few weeks ago I read on another forum that whilst a Thai Registered Marriage is acceptable and recognised under British Law, a Thai Divorce is not recognised under British Law if one or both partners are British Citizens. Can not remember where I read it, but it could be that although they married here in Thailand they may have to divorce in the UK for the divorce to be legal.

Something else to research. A few weeks ago I read on another forum that whilst a Thai Registered Marriage is acceptable and recognised under British Law, a Thai Divorce is not recognised under British Law if one or both partners are British Citizens. Can not remember where I read it, but it could be that although they married here in Thailand they may have to divorce in the UK for the divorce to be legal.

That's interesting, thanks. I've heard the first thing you said, I'm not sure about your last line, though. If their divorce is not recognised In Britain I can't see how they could get it in the UK.

They have had a baby born in Thailand, not sure whether that has some legal influence on having to go back to Thailand to get the divorce.

• 4 weeks later...

Need some info ........

What if i'm Malaysian and my wife is Thai . We get married in Malaysia and have a baby in Malaysia too. Since she had left me after give birth to my baby and it been 10 month ago. I thought of divorce procedure but i dont know what should i do ... pls advice. Thank you.