Will Loy Kratong Be Dry?

alant

I love Loy Krathong, it is a wonderfull time of year and a great festival here in chiangmai. We sually enjoy a party atmosphere with quite a few beers near the ping river with friends that come over from the uk especially. But as we all know this year has seen alcohol free holidays and they have been enforced / observed.

What is the info on loy krathong 2009, wet or dry? :)

I love Loy Krathong, it is a wonderfull time of year and a great festival here in chiangmai. We sually enjoy a party atmosphere with quite a few beers near the ping river with friends that come over from the uk especially. But as we all know this year has seen alcohol free holidays and they have been enforced / observed.

im sure you will be able to find a beer or two regardless, except between 2-5pm daily, unless buying 10ltrs or more. Been here 5 years and still dont know why that law exists.

What is the info on loy krathong 2009, wet or dry? :D

im sure you will be able to find a beer or two regardless, except between 2-5pm daily, unless buying 10ltrs or more. Been here 5 years and still dont know why that law exists.

i heard it was to prevet kids buying alcohol on the way home from school, it is illegal for them to do so but rather than enforce the law they take a different option after all you can fine a shop :)

i heard it was to prevet kids buying alcohol on the way home from school, it is illegal for them to do so but rather than enforce the law they take a different option after all you can fine a shop :)

i sort of gathered that, but it would have been easier to slap up the old sign like they have for cigerettes

i sort of gathered that, but it would have been easier to slap up the old sign like they have for cigerettes

Or just don't sell alcohol to kids

Haven't been carded in many many years, but have been asked my age. Guess they are amazed that I am still shuffling around. I have sent the daughters (no problem) to buy beer and ciggies many time in the village when they were 10 or so. Will not do so now as they might sample on the way back.....

The reason it (that law) exist is because the clowns in Thailand's equivilent of the "beehive" believe that students would be going to the supermarkets, 7/11's and the like, buy a few cans of beer and then the elastic in the girls knickers would all dissolve and the young guys would take advantage of the situation. This would result in one of two things, (a) the girls would get knocked up or they would miss their afternoon classes.

It is clear that because alcohol is freely available before 14.00 hours must indicate that Thai's do not copulate (or have classes) in the forenoon.

Either way it is just another sign of bureaucratic stupidity TIT

Edited by john b good

now we know about the kids :D anyone up to speed on if normal alcohol sales etc in the festival time please? :D

The bars and restaurants will be selling, no doubt, but street-side vendors may be restricted. I will be selling alcohol, for sure. :D

Free 'sparklers' for the kids (if accompanied by an adult spending over 500 baht/person). :)

Don't worry, you will be able to get a drink!

Unless I'm wildly mistaken, there won't be any restrictions on alcohol for Loy Krathong, as it's not a religious festival, at least not Buddhist . . . there are animist elements, but that's about it. The last alcohol restriction, in July, was Phansa, which emphasizes adhering to the "five precepts" of Buddhist life, one of which is avoiding intoxication. So no ganja then, either, folks, watch out for that next time! Anyhow Phansa is often referred to as the Buddhist "Lent," but Loy Krathong has no moral teachings attached to it.

Besides, the only restriction, even in Phansa, was on selling liquor in stores, not consuming it. Restarants and pubs were still serving, and if you already had bought your own beer you were welcome to sit on the riverside and drink it anyway. The upshot is, no problem, enjoy your party!

hi can anyone tell me when loy kratong is?

rick

i have it down as the 2nd of november this year, a bit earlier than last year, usually lasts about 3 days here so starting the 1st, the big day on the 2nd and then a final bit on the 3rd. little , big and a day i dont know the name for