What's Your Thoughts About It.....

itsme

Hi everyone, I have been reading your posts from many years and, even if I rarely post, I have enjoyed the humour and the responses from thaivisa members in regard to many threads.

I am planning a trip to los in January and I noticed that anytime I mention my next trip everyone connects Thailand to prostitution. I love the culture, food, fantastic beaches and all the rest that this country can offer. I am not a saint and I have been few times in Thailand but I also travelled in many other countries and prostitution is all over the world being the oldest job ever created, so why people in general connect Thailand with prostitution? Especially the ones that have never visited Thailand have the strongest feelings toward it.

Is it a case of bad publicity or just people talking over stuff just being heard from someone else?

YEP! its pretty much ignorance i'd say

In Australia the mere mention of a guy going to visit Thailand will bring immediate raised eyebrows,innuendo,sneers ect

Especially from the female folk.

I cant speak for everyone,but being a single guy i keep my mouth firmly shut about Thailand when in female company in Oz.

If they find out you've lived here you go from hero to zero and they assume you are riddled with STD's :)

Ignorance..very sad small mindedness

For as long as I have been alive Thailand and the word "prostitution" have gone hand in hand, and why shouldn't they? Dont get me wrong, there are plenty of people who come here for vacation with no intentions of using the services of a prositute, but most of them are also here with their wife and/or family. I know that there are plenty of other countries in the world where people have access to prostitutes just as readily as they do here, but I believe that Thailand just happens to provide the best "workers" in the worldwide industry (Thai women are much hotter than most other women, if not all other women, on average), so don't we DESERVE that title?

Hi everyone, I have been reading your posts from many years and, even if I rarely post, I have enjoyed the humour and the responses from thaivisa members in regard to many threads.

I am planning a trip to los in January and I noticed that anytime I mention my next trip everyone connects Thailand to prostitution. I love the culture, food, fantastic beaches and all the rest that this country can offer. I am not a saint and I have been few times in Thailand but I also travelled in many other countries and prostitution is all over the world being the oldest job ever created, so why people in general connect Thailand with prostitution? Especially the ones that have never visited Thailand have the strongest feelings toward it.

Is it a case of bad publicity or just people talking over stuff just being heard from someone else?

Hi there.

Dont take this the wrong way.

You have been here before.

You have been reading posts on TV since 2004.

What are your thoughts about it?

:)

I get the same perception when i go back to homecountry every year,Thailand have some "bad" reputation among moralists..

I think both,plus ignorance and a pinch of envy..Frankly,i could not care less :)

Have a good trip !

Who cares?

Just jealous small minded fools who think a 2 week holiday in Spain is the be all and end all of life.

As you mention the women are the worst of all, I had a right argument with a so-called-woman in a pub in the south of England one time about it. Telling me I only go there for women, all this coming from a Mick Hucknall look-a-like, drinking from a pint glass.

She was not pleased with that reply. :)

John.....

Personally I'd say people are not stupid. The sheer volume of prostitution that is in your face in Bangkok and Pattaya is bound to get noticed.

Sure Thailand has a lot more to offer, and a lot of other things going for it, but I'd suspect that virtually every tourist who has been to Bangkok or Pattaya has seen some link to prostitution whether they've been looking for it or not.

It's interesting that out of my social circle back in London most of the females have been to Thailand and would love to visit again. Many of my male friends just won't make the effort (foolish swines).

It's really easy to imagine somewhere in a bad light if you haven't been there before. There are certain countries I haven't been to and wouldn't want to visit. A few middle Eastern countries spring to mind. But that's just stigma from what I've read and heard.

Can't judge a country until you've at least been there for a number of days.

Well, Thailand has a very good reputation in adult entertainment!

And we know that it is well deserved.

Especially the ones that have never visited Thailand have the strongest feelings toward it.

People who have the strongest feelings against it aren't likely to be at the top of my list of people I like to be with.

Reacting against a country or against you because Thailand is well known for prostitution is demonstrating a great deal of closedmindedness and of moralistic indoctrination, based on frustration because they can't enjoy themselves properly in Europe or US or whatever place they can't get laid at, and then rationalize by thinking it is a sin.

These people need to relax a little.

The best would probably be to drag such a person to Thailand, pre-pay 2 of Nana Plaza's best performers for a full night and drop the whole off in the hotel room...

He won't be same after that.

P.S.

rule18: no specifics discussed here!

Edited by manarak

My sister in law has been a real bitch to my older brother because he married a thai girl and had taken her back to live with our mum and dad,mainly because they are old and the thai wife works for hours taking care of my mum and dad.She is a great girl and my sister just slags her off all the time.

I think the reaction of "most people" depends to a very large extent on what country you're in. In Scandinavia I believe "most people" associate Thailand with family holidays on the beach. I remember seeing statistics that showed that in 2007 4.2% of all (i.e. ~1 in 25) Swedes visited Thailand. In this case, familiarity does not breed contempt but respect :D

There are of course other countries where personal experience of Thailand is a lot less common. In such places it is a lot more likely that perceptions will largely be based on tabloids, sensationalist weekly magazines and so on :)

/ Priceless

Hi there.

Dont take this the wrong way.

You have been here before.

You have been reading posts on TV since 2004.

What are your thoughts about it?

My thoutghs are similar to the other posters, I know Thailand for what it is and I love it more than any other country I have been to, including where I currently live.

Please abide by the following forum rule:

18) Not to discuss the specifics of prostitution.

This thread will be closed if caution is not taken by posters.

Thanks.

Sorry Scott but I didn't mean to discuss prostitution at all, neither I wanted to open a topic about it, my focus was on the peoples mind regarding Thailand.

At the end of the day who cares what others think about thailand. The only thing that matters is how you feel, anyone else can get stuffed with their narrow minded BS. :D

Well said, at the end who cares even ignorants and moralists can express an opinion (right or wrong). I just can't wait to jump on that plane :D

For as long as I have been alive Thailand and the word "prostitution" have gone hand in hand, and why shouldn't they? Dont get me wrong, there are plenty of people who come here for vacation with no intentions of using the services of a prositute, but most of them are also here with their wife and/or family. I know that there are plenty of other countries in the world where people have access to prostitutes just as readily as they do here, but I believe that Thailand just happens to provide the best "workers" in the worldwide industry (Thai women are much hotter than most other women, if not all other women, on average), so don't we DESERVE that title?

There are tens of thousands of Thai and Farang couples all over the world and a good portion of these girls met there partners in a bar or disco at some point.

When most of these girls come to these areas, they ususally have intentions of meeting a farang for a partner. Does that make them a prostitute ? Not in the same definition as the western world thinks of it.

Edited by sokal

I love visiting Thailand.

I intend to live permanently in Thiland once I retire and sell my house.

I could not care less if other people don't like Thailand and the reputation that comes to their mind when they think of Thailand. One of the reasons I want to live in Thailand is to get away from such judgemental and small minded people.

I like all the things that Thailand has to offer me! If other people don't that is fine with me. They can keep going to Florida or Blackpool LOL.

Edited by philliphn

That's funny...as I have different experiences from your group or people that you know.

Most of my farang friends when they think of thailand ,...all they can think are

- hot weather

- good foods....eat eat eat eat

- beautiful southen beaches....where they can tan themselves like a cooked lobster

- afforable shopping paradise...yay yay!

sadly to say......NOT about the culture and temples tho :)

Edited by mooncake

I know what you mean. I'm 64 years old, but when I mention my vacation will be in Thailand I still get the "Monty Python" reaction to the word Thailand. You know what I mean, don't ya? Don't ya, ya know what I mean?

The fact that I'm married to a Thai woman and have a home in Bangkok, doesn't seem to get through to those people. It's the same old cliche way of thinking. If you go to Amsterdam it must be for the legal drugs, you must be gay if you go to San Francisco, and you must be going to Thailand for the sex.

People like that think it sterotypes only, so what can you do about it?

The fact is: I go to Thailand for my twice yearly 2 or 3 weeks vacation to spend time with my wife and family.

The fact that only a small percentage of the people in Thailand are actually working in the sex industry doesn't get through the sterotype tjinking for that certain type of prople.

The facts just can't get through the preconceptions in their brain.

:D

I think prostitution here is rife. I also think it's alarming how many women, despite not being prostitutes, are more than happy to be with a man for money, be it for one night or longer term.

My point is, so what. Forget all that. Come here and enjoy the many beauties (no pun intended) that this country has to offer. Spend evenings in the nice places, check out the culture etc etc. Why go to a country purely to dwell on the darker side when it has so much more to offer

I hate the international reputation Thailand has regarding the promiscuity of it women folk.

I was brought here with a handful of other guys, straight out of Uni on an Expat package when I was 22. I had no idea about the place. It was an eye opener and I had some fun – loved the place and have remained here.

I haven’t have much to do with the P4P life here, I’ve never found the need and the women I’ve met have required more effort than women in the UK. (although I’m comparing this with promiscuity at while living at Uni so its not really fare).

The women I have encountered over here are more reserved and self-respecting to the point of being polar opposites of their image as Thai women on the international stage. I think this is incredibly unfair.

I will Marry soon, and my mother tells that after telling friends and receiving a raised eyebrow… She has to tell them… “No, its not like that, she is respectable and from a very wealthy background”

Now, I don’t know why money should come into it but it does.

Thailand has a reputation on the international stage for the ease and availability of ‘Cheap sex, with attractive women’… And for this reason Thailand and its women world renowned. Vegas has hot women but at a price, and so do other places…

So, it might be that Price is the major factor for its infamy.

I think prostitution here is rife. I also think it's alarming how many women, despite not being prostitutes, are more than happy to be with a man for money, be it for one night or longer term.

My point is, so what. Forget all that. Come here and enjoy the many beauties (no pun intended) that this country has to offer. Spend evenings in the nice places, check out the culture etc etc. Why go to a country purely to dwell on the darker side when it has so much more to offer

carmine :)

I think you will find that sleeping with a man for money, be it for one night or longer, is defined as prostitution.

I don't think they have to pass the 100 mark or some arbitrary number, before they can be classed as a prostitute.

As you say, Thailand is a beautiful country, full of culture and friendly people. However, I would not consider these girls to be within the dark side of Thai life. Most of them are very friendly and well behaved, with just the odd bad apple, which is the same the World over.

I hate the international reputation Thailand has regarding the promiscuity of it women folk.

I was brought here with a handful of other guys, straight out of Uni on an Expat package when I was 22. I had no idea about the place. It was an eye opener and I had some fun – loved the place and have remained here.

I haven't have much to do with the P4P life here, I've never found the need and the women I've met have required more effort than women in the UK. (although I'm comparing this with promiscuity at while living at Uni so its not really fare).

The women I have encountered over here are more reserved and self-respecting to the point of being polar opposites of their image as Thai women on the international stage. I think this is incredibly unfair.

I will Marry soon, and my mother tells that after telling friends and receiving a raised eyebrow… She has to tell them… "No, its not like that, she is respectable and from a very wealthy background"

Now, I don't know why money should come into it but it does.

Thailand has a reputation on the international stage for the ease and availability of 'Cheap sex, with attractive women'… And for this reason Thailand and its women world renowned. Vegas has hot women but at a price, and so do other places…

So, it might be that Price is the major factor for its infamy.

That is what makes Thai girls special. If all poor countries had really friendly girls in them then Thailand would would be no different then Bosnia.

Culturally, Thailand is unique, understandably, some people with closed minds or with fixed views will find that some aspects of Thailand's open approach is somewhat distasteful, however, it is all part of the rich culture that appeals to tourists and ex-pats alike... :)

Culturally, Thailand is unique, understandably, some people with closed minds or with fixed views will find that some aspects of Thailand's open approach is somewhat distasteful, however, it is all part of the rich culture that appeals to tourists and ex-pats alike... :)

Please define Thailands "open approach" for the people with "closed minds"

There is something which cannot be discussed openly in this Forum.

To say it another way the standards of morality are slightly different in LoS(less hipocrytical?)

I watched a presentation the other day that cited various sources including Chulalongkorn survey, United Nations commissions, Thai government statistics, etc. The presentation didn't have any particular bias, and seemed professionally researched.

Some interesting points I noted were:

Prostitution accounts for 17% of Thailand's GNP.

70% of tourists to Thailand are single men.

To say it another way the standards of morality are slightly different in LoS(less hipocrytical?)

Thanks for that mauGR1. Some people from the West with strict morals may not appreciate the 'cultural differences' in the East

:D

YEP! its pretty much ignorance i'd say

In Australia the mere mention of a guy going to visit Thailand will bring immediate raised eyebrows,innuendo,sneers ect

Especially from the female folk.

I cant speak for everyone,but being a single guy i keep my mouth firmly shut about Thailand when in female company in Oz.

If they find out you've lived here you go from hero to zero and they assume you are riddled with STD's :)

Ignorance..very sad small mindedness

Not all Oz females feel that way!! You should hear the comments I get for living here!!!

Yes, morality was one of the words i was looking for....

"morality" is already a tainted concept.

maybe "buddhist morality" would be a better term, or even "thai morality", and there we are.

western "moralistic" views are heavily biaised by christian religion.

- sex outside of marriage is a sin!

- sex without the aim to procreate is a sin!

- thinking to have sex with another person than one's wife is a sin!

- masturbation is a sin!

"promiscuity" has such a negative connotation in our language.

now imagine all the easy girls in Thailand were not prostitutes, but they'd do it for free, for the fun. it wouldn't be prostitution then, right?

question about this theoretical situation (serious) : does something in your judeo-christian soul object against a country where hundreds of thousands of girls would have sex for free with strangers just for the fun?

aaaah, you are tempted to answer no, but the truth is, you feel uneasy. Why? Taboos.

Take prostitution out of the landscape, and the issue remains!

Regarding the topic of sex, paid or free, the psychological problems in the western culture are much deeper!

I watched a presentation the other day that cited various sources including Chulalongkorn survey, United Nations commissions, Thai government statistics, etc. The presentation didn't have any particular bias, and seemed professionally researched.

Some interesting points I noted were:

Prostitution accounts for 17% of Thailand's GNP.

70% of tourists to Thailand are single men.

did they also say that 90% (or even more) of prostitution in Thailand is Thai to Thai ?

Edited by manarak